1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Inappropriate guitar for Church use?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by 985plowboy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Yeah this! :p

When our small group fellowship was still in the house doing our worship, one of the kid has this black X shape cheap guitar. We sometimes can't stop smirking whenever we play Amazing Grace with it . :lol:

I think every instrument as long as it is used by Our Lord's Glory is cool... yeap, even those B.C. Rich guitars!

2. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I'll check back in next week to let everyone know if my black Hello Kitty was inappropriate for Sunday.....

[​IMG]

3. Phylian

Phylian TDPRI Member

Personally I use a poboynita and an es335 so I don't have anything crazy but I do have a bit of an opinion on this discussion.

I think rather than the shape or the paint it really comes down to why you are playing the guitar, what the worship leader says, and what the congregation says.

1. Is it the tone that you are looking for? Is this guitar the best choice to use for what you are playing and for what is available for you to play? Granted occasionally it is fun to pull out something a little funky looking for some laughs like the pink guitar shown earlier. Just make sure that when going with something a little out of place looking that it still sounds good. Don't compromise the sound. Also are you playing this guitar just so people notice you?

2. Does your worship leader have a problem with it? If they say not to use it, they might be onto something. If you think they are wrong discuss it with them but their say in the end is final.

3. Does the congregation have a problem with it? Now this one is a bit more tricky. I've read articles where members of the congregation had problems with a Gibson SG because it had "devil horns". Well those "devil horns" allow for easier fret access and playing. In that case it would be better to explain to the congregation as to why you are using that specific guitar. On the other hand if you are like ascension playing a bright pink guitar (although his congregation does like it) and your congregation has a problem with the guitar then it becomes more difficult. If there is a specific reason you are playing the guitar (tone, fret access, only one available) then please explain it to them. But if your only reason is because it looks flashy or funny, that's difficult to explain to the congregation members.

It really comes down to using your best judgment. You are worshiping God so make sure you go for the best sound you can, but at the same time I don't think He would mind a little humor.

4. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

hahahahahahahahaha :)

that's awesome

5. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

The whole thing is a moving target.

Is an SG inappropriate? I'm sure it is in some churches, but probably not the church that would allow any of us to play :) As a worship leader/pastor, I would use it as a chance to teach and encourage people about spiritual silliness and legalism if the issue came up.

That being said, I went to a church a few years ago that was pretty conservative but had an electric guitarist playing a flying V gibson. was in inappropriate? not really, but did he look ridiculous? oh yes. I'm having a Jazzmaster built for me right now by Danocaster, I told him not to go crazy on the relic'ing because I'm playing almost 100% in church and I didn't want to draw needless attention. it's a moving target.

Here's a different take on it though... who are you and where are you? what i mean is that if you are the regular guitarist in your church and you have a gibson explorer, you will probably get a few comments at first and then nobody will care. I probably only noticed the flying V because i was visiting. But if you're not a regular player or guest playing somewhere, wouldn't it be better to pull out the MiM strat instead of the nice, high end explorer? just a thought.

I play a Tele so I don't have that problem :)

6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

It reminds me of an old quote; "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." Lincoln Brewster playing an odd guitar would still sound like Lincoln Brewster and the message would be the same.

Remember what Michal said about David's dancing.

7. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

I would play any guitar in church regardless of the shape. If anyone complains refer them to... John 8:7 or Matthew 7:5 Luke 6:42

8. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I used the Hello Kitty at rehearsal last night. It raised a few eyebrows but sounded GREAT. Bass player said I should use it this weekend. :D

9. vgp001

vgp001 TDPRI Member

I fully intend to use the Affinity next time I play guitar. I normally play piano.

Attached Files:

10. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Yours is nice. I was in a Target store last weekend. They had Hello Kitty place mats on clearance. Looked like they would be perfect for a custom pickguard.

11. vgp001

vgp001 TDPRI Member

That sounds like a good idea...

BTW, I don't mind that this Affinity is a top-loader. Not for any "sonic" or stringing issues, but because the ball-ends of D'Addario strings are colorful and that works for Hello Kitty.

12. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

...I think the Wangcaster may be the only inappropriate geetar I can think of...;)

It's out there if you want to Google it.

13. 4himthruhim

4himthruhim TDPRI Member

Grestch white falcon for the win!!! Or a custom 50's style tele made from the tree of life with a neck of pure ebony and pure gold locking tuners idk what he'd use for pickups...? Maybe the n3 noiseless so no hum idk just my .02 lol

14. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

15. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

We have dress code. I can't understand some of it but primarily I think it is because I haven't seen the pastor wear the same suit twice. He also irons his jeans at wears them at the Men, Meat, and Fire cookouts... which I think is a bit too much. Clean and presentable is one thing but at the grilling sessions?

All the equipment is stock. I wish the lead player would lose the EMG-81's and figure out that every song doesn't have to sound like dimebag or lynch...

16. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

or... WWJD?

Well, scourging merchants at the temple and kicking over tables is within the realm of possibilities...

17. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

I play a Schecter 6 string at church, sounds great! But I had to gut it and put in the EMG 45 DC's and the BQS EQ... to really bring it out in the mix.

18. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

Only an out of tune guitar, everything else is a variable...

19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Back in the days of the early church, Gentile believers were harassed, threatened, judged and not accepted by some Jewish believers who felt that, even though a Gentile may have accepted Christ, they were not complete because they had not been circumcised. How would any of us feel if we were accused of bringing the wrong penis to church?

There is no good or bad, acceptable or un-acceptable, clean or un-clean. It's kind of like food. What a man eats passes through him and passes out. A guitar shape or color means absolutely nothing, and even though I love Teles and Les Pauls, they are in no way sanctified or special in comparison to an Explorer or Flying V or a Mustang…….etc.

I don't think it is in good taste to bring a guitar up on stage that is phallic in shape, but it's not the shape of that guitar that is bad, it would be what is in the heart of the guy carrying it up there to display to a congregation. If the leadership says that some guitars are off limits, I would want to know why. If it is because the team is trying to portray a certain image for some good reason, that could be acceptable for a short time. If it is because they feel that some guitars (non obscene guitars at least) are just wrong, or the congregation doesn't like certain shapes, then the leadership has a maturity issue and should take the opportunity to educate the congregation on the freedom that we have through Grace. If the leaders lack spiritual maturity to the point that they allow or reinforce legalism, then they should not be in leadership positions and everyone has feet. He who votes with his feet, after discussion and when necessary, has the final say.

Lastly, not everyone has 3 or 4 different guitars. If you've got someone who is led to play, and whose heart is in the right place, that person should not be shamed nor turned away just because the only guitar they have is a pointy headed Jackson, and a Peavey Bandit amp. The heart is what counts, everything else is just stuff.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  20. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Thanks Cap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.