1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Inappropriate guitar for Church use?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by 985plowboy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

This thing has become a trademark guitar for me in the worship circles.
    [​IMG]
    I own others but if I don't pull it out from time to time folks start asking what happened to the pink guitar LOL. I keep it and play it out because first off it sounds fantastic and plays like a dream then to top it off is so super light it feels almost like a toy when you pick it up (try just UNDER 7lbs!!)!
    The appearance doesn't matter ( within reason as some thing like the WANGCASTER well---) as long as it feels right to you plays nice and sounds good have at it.
    Here is Pinky in action and this night was part of a 27 hour continuous IHOP styple I&P event and I played 3 BACK TO BACK 2 hour sets with 3 different teams ( this was the start of #3 and I still don't know these folks names LOL). That night it was 6 HOURS with just a short bathroom,food and water break before the start of this set so by the end of the night having such a light guitar was a GOOD thing!!!

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

That's so wrong it's right!

3. BoB/335

BoB/335 Tele-Holic

I remember a discussion on the Reverend Hellhound many years ago. A great amp! I never owned one but it would make a great stage amp for service.

4. Lespaul1963

Lespaul1963 TDPRI Member

I never was a flashy color, pointy guitar kind of guy even before I was saved. Back in the day when I played hair metal I had a candy apple red super Strat with a Kahler DL bridge and a DiMarzio SD at the bridge. Mostly I tend to classic body shapes with traditional solid colors or a natural, clear coat finish in my guitars and basses.

Having said that, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference what one plays so long as it doesn't detract from Jesus as the center of worship and so long as it doesn't convey the appearance of evil (as admonished by Paul). I take that to mean what has been pointed out by others as overt images or messages of death, the devil, gore, horror and nude or near nude, etc. depictions on ones gear.

I have played with guys that use SGs (I own one myself), Dean Razorbacks, BC Richs, ESPs, Schecters, etc. that have the more traditional paint jobs and these guys and gals did their job keeping the worship Christ focused.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

I use to Play a Jackson USA soloist flamed, I used a Mesa Boogie Mark III Head and 412 Cab. I used to play worship and to play Christian Metal. I would say its your money and you like it play it. As long it don't have satan stuff all over it.

6. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

Ascension, how is the neck on your Carvin? I haven't ever played one. I've read reviews that say the necks are thin. I picked one up in a pawn shop in Anniston once, but didn't play it. I like some of the Carvins I see in their catalog.

7. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

turn it into a slide guitar

8. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

That particular guitar has a neck that is much different from what they now offer. This one is a 1990 and has what many of us who know Carvins refer to as the 88-92 shredder neck profile. It is a 24.75 scale with a wide 16 radius board big 6100 jumbos and a slim D profile. The new ones have very fast necks also but the standard radius is a 14 scale is a 25 and the profile is thicker. Pink one has a profile similar to the Jackson's of the late 1980's - early 1990's the new profile is closer to a PRS wide thin on a Custom 24 only with a flatter board radius.
    I have owned more Carvins over the years than I care to count so I know them very well.
    Here are just a few of the Carvins I have owned in the past the pink X220C is the only one I currently own though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Gary Mitchell

I almost bought one it was cool. but the name was just not cool for church. It was called Diablo. If I remember right it was made by Hamer, I was going to sand it off, but it still bother me. Sound crazy but I just couldn't buy it and the kid sold it cheap.

10. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

So I shouldn't use my son's Shark Guitar???

[​IMG]

11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Oh no...the shark plays. The shark DEFINITELY plays!

12. Gary Mitchell

The shark would be cool to make a slide out of.

13. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I have had people in the congregation complain because the guitar is ELECTRIC, never mind the shape and colour. When I pointed out the organ was electric as well instead of wind up pipes they said that did not matter but guitars that plugged in were evil.
    It's all about peoples perceptions, maybe I will go back to the ten string lyre, unplugged of course.

14. BoB/335

BoB/335 Tele-Holic

That was 50 years ago, right???

15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

16. henram36

henram36 Tele-Meister

Yeah, Schecter is my first choice of innapropriate, given how they tend to name their guitars. Hellraiser is a good one, Omen...that's another "great worship guitar". I don't think the BC Rich Warlock would go over well either. :)

17. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Man I have wanted a USA Hamer Diablo for a while. Those are KILLERS!!
    Only piece of gear I have ever owned that I though had some thing evil on it was the Washburn Stealth I owned>
    That one was the SN 002 2000 NAMM booth guitar that Dime actually played for the NAMM model introduction. I bought it as an investment and made a good bit of $$ on it but had some weird stuff happen while I had that one.
    I once owned a one off Fender Prosonic head that Bruce Zinky had handbuilt and given to Brad Whitford. It was a Prosonic combo chassis fitted with the 120 watt power section from the Tonemaster and had reverb. Still had the "Property Of Aerosmith" blue sticker on the back and the band inventory # when it was on stage at my Church for a few years.
    Was one of the best sounding amps I have ever played through but was HEAVY and BRUTALLY loud!!
    Have to admit since it was all over the Aerosmith Crazy album in the studio I had the guys in the team lay hands on it and pray over it the first time I brought it into a worship gig. Never got any weird vibe off her though.
    Used her in the studio on this cut.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7804039
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. twick

twick Tele-Meister

WWJP?

19. henram36

henram36 Tele-Meister

White Gibson ES 335/355 likely.:cool:

20. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Nothing wrong with the name Stiletto, thankfully! Wouldn't enjoy covering bass duties a few times a year nearly as much if it was an inappropriate bass to use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.