1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Inappropriate guitar for Church use?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by 985plowboy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

This should be fun.
    I recently enjoyed playing a new, cherry sunburst over flame maple, ibanez destroyer at GC. I was surprised by how much I liked the way it played and sounded. However, because of the way it looks, I just don't think I could show up slinging it on a Sunday morning! I mentioned this to my rhythm player and he said, "Just get it in black. That would work". I completely agree with him, but I promise I wouldn't have a problem playing a cherry sunburst, flame maple, les paul. So, here we go.
    I've long thought that there are some guitars whose appearance wouldn't be appropriate for leading worship. Most notably, a shiny red SG looks devilish to me, yet I love Derek Trucks, and always turn up AC/DC.
    Where do you draw the line?

2. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

i would use any guitar in church unless it had some devilish graphics/stickers printed on it. the sg wasn't designed for ac/dc or black sabbath. it just became associated with angus young and tony iommi, but its only a tool/instrument for playing music. if you play devilish music on the tele or 335, it can be done, so heavenly music on a red sg would be good. but i'd draw the line with iommi's custom sg with crosses as fretmarks, that if its played left handed, the crosses become upside down.

3. TeleKineses

TeleKineses Tele-Meister

^ Lol

Depends on the denomination.

4. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

We're so far from the congregation, no one can see our guitars. You should buy the new Fender "Vaporizer" Amp and together with the "Destroyer" guitar you can vanquish evil. Sheesh...these names!?
    Sorry, couldn't resist.;)

5. teleworship21

teleworship21 Tele-Meister

The only guitar I see that's inappropriate for leading worship is an out of tune one :)

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

6. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I haven't played guitar in church since I was in HS back in the early 70s. I remember when I brought in my new (to me) SG Special with P-90s. The priest remarked how cool it looked!

He was less impressed when he walked in on one of our practices and heard me playing Bob Seger's Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on the church organ.

7. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

I would draw the line at novelty shaped guitars. Not like explorers or V's, but like flower shaped or star wars millennium falcon or star trek delta shield or food shaped like hot dog or hamburger and painted to look it. guitars come in many shapes and that's fine, but there are certain shapes and designs that will definitely detract from the atmosphere.

8. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

also, if you get a destroyer, your people will probably just think you're copping the Edge look to go with the traditional contemporary christian U2 sound.

9. GuitarGuy43113

GuitarGuy43113 Tele-Meister

What about the guitars shaped like a bottle of Jim Beam? :D

Add to the list, any of the guitars with pin-up girls on them. I think Jerry Cantrell (spelling?) has a few.

10. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Yeah, at this point it's just the novelty or what not.

I've been to pretty conservative churches where someone had a Flying V.

One kid showed up with a BC Rich and we let him play... We just made fun of his guitar. ;)

11. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

I think Peavey had one called Jack Daniels, with No.7 knobs.

12. gpmedium

gpmedium TDPRI Member

Yeah I do think that would send the wrong message. However I would have no problem with anyone playing an Ibanez Destroyer in church.

13. JebDude

JebDude TDPRI Member

Eh, I played a red JCX Stargazer in church. It was my first electric guitar. I just did bass and vocals before that. But the truss rod was locked up when I went to do a real setup on it, so I went back to the pawn shop and got a Squire strat. Now I'm thinking about a tele, but the pawn shop doesn't have any, yet. I keep looking.

Oh, the Squire is kind of a cream with parchment color.

JB

14. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

I was seriously considering one of those epi airscreamers when one popped up on CL locally :D I would totally rock that thing at church!! Nobody can easily see me unless they actually walk over into the band area, though (we're next to the congregation).

I used to use my Schecter Stiletto bass in a shiny cherry red with a figured maple top, all the time. Only ever got negative looks when I used it at jazz festivals in high school haha. Those old jazzers don't really care for the pointy headstocks.

15. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

I played this guitar in church once:

It's a 1950s/60s arch top made of plywood with a dodgy neck and HUGE action that I 'resonated' using the hubcap off a mini.

I had in mind the sort of 'Romeo and Juliet' Dire Straits sound with the other guitarist.

Needless to say, I haven't played it in church since. I might risk a Tele one of these days but we're mostly acoustics only.

Attached Files:

16. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

That is a cool looking Reso. Great job on it.

17. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Thanks. Looks great, but plays like a dog.

The guitar has never stayed in tune and now has an action of nearly 1/2 " as the neck joint is slowly dying.

I'm thinking of stripping all the parts off it and putting them onto cheapie Ovation style bowl back with the multiple sound holes. I need to measure one up and see if the bridge will work though. It's a shame as the burst and nitro cracking up look good. We'll see...

18. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

In the new year i plan on playing my Synyster gates custom i got in a trade.

Big gold floyd rose and a skull at the 12th. however its super small and i stand out the way. If i get a comment ill rotate it out. fine playing guitar though

19. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

If I wouldn't play a Jim Beam guitar in church, why would I play it anywhere else?

20. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I think that the shape of most guitars should not matter in church. Obviously if the guitar has stickers or graffiti with inappropriate images or words, that's a different situation. I use a Thunderbird bass at church. Only comment I received was how much "bigger" it sounded vs a Jazz Bass which I also use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.