Inadvertent micro bends

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by TwanglerNYC, Mar 5, 2019.

1. TwanglerNYC

TwanglerNYC TDPRI Member

I've been playing a Fender Nashville Tele with factory Parsons-Green B-Bender for just over a year. Over 45 years playing guitar, but this is my first experience with a bender. I think I've got a pretty good feel for it and have been incorporating it into my playing pretty nicely. However, I've found that sometimes, when playing chords and not using the bender, a slight, inadvertent downward movement of the neck will engage the bender a little bit, raising the B string maybe a quarter-tone, just enough to make the chord I'm playing sound horribly out of tune. I've tried changing the position that I'm holding the neck in, adjusting the strap, etc., but I've not been able to completely avoid this from happening. Any experienced B-Bender players out there who have experienced this, and have any tips to share? Thanks.

eddiewagner likes this.
  2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Jeff Beck’s been on a micro-bender forever

TwanglerNYC and AlbertaGriff like this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

this is not uncommon, it takes seat time, or rather standing time. Sometimes the strap makes a difference as well. The PG can't be adjusted for tension like others can, without some modifications to the pull system. It took me some getting used to with the PG, a very heavy comfortable strap helps and practicing while standing also helps.

What gauge strings are on the guitar, what gauge B string ? I am typically a 9's player but have found the Bender does't like 9's and the B string is an 11 or 12. I read where Gene Parsons like 13's for the B string, thats a bit strong for me. I have been using 11.5's.

thats all I got right now

t

eddiewagner and TwanglerNYC like this.
  4. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Well, since they didn't put a spring tension adjuster in there, there doesn't seem to be any simple fix. If you were a real mad scientist you might be able to figure out the tutorials online at Lee Spring or someplace similar and find you a stiffer spring. I think you would have to measure the tensions on your spring as extended and retracted in operation. There are companies that make spring to your specs. I googled "spring supply company" and found a handful of companies promising that they could help.

Myself I might start by adding rubber bands to the existing spring to see if that helps. If so I would at least be encouraged to know that the problem is solvable. In racecar engines they often put a smaller valvespring inside the regular one..... If you tied a string tight on some of the spring coils the thing would come out stiffer....

Good luck, I'd like to hear from some real bender users myself.

eddiewagner likes this.
  5. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

T is correct. I have both Glaser and Parsons-White benders and it's just a matter of practice in adjusting the bender spring tension, which is easier on a Glaser. I use 10-12-15-24-32-42 and have the tension just right so that there is never a involuntary bend and I am able to do perfectly tuned half step bends by ear.

However, I don't have and have never seen a lefty P-G and am not familiar with the tension adjustment on that advice.

eddiewagner likes this.
  6. T Prior

the typical PW or PG systems may not have a tension adjust as the Glasers do, they can adjust the throw but not necessarily the tension. The thing about it is if you make the tension TOO much so it doesn't bend by accident it may be to tight to pull smoothly when you want it to. I have a Gibson Music City with the Glaser type system it allows for a tighter tension but in all actuality it is adjusted about the same as the Fender PG. It can still move by accident but it needs to be loose enough for gentle bends as well.

Try changing the gauge of the B string. How low is the guitar on your strap ? real low, medium low or is it high on your body ? The lower it is probably the worse it is.

The rod that goes to the string tower on the PG can also be made longer or shorter, which may help. I have adjusted mine 3 or 4 turns. The spring in the PG system is pretty darn stout. Making the pull much stiffer will effect how you pull the B with finesse.

Its a learning process, the guitar movement has to be controlled as before it didn't.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    eddiewagner likes this.
  7. Rick Towne

T is probably right again; try different gauge b's until you strike the right balance.

8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I used to do it too often, now I do it seldom. And can detect and correct it much faster. I don’t believe I’d want more tension.

9. Rick Towne

One of my life principles is not to go looking for more tension, as I have more than enough at work.

10. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

I did not want to change my playing style for a bender. I've been playing for over 50 years (you wouldn't know it to listen to me....) and I'm not changing now! That's one of the big reasons I sent my guitars to Dave Evans for his Pull String. Tension is completely adjustable from feather light to hard pull. Mine are set to pretty stiff as I don't want unwanted bends. And the adjustment can be made in seconds without removing anything or messing with springs.

I realize this doesn't help with your guitar but it's a real thing and changing your playing style just to keep from accidental bends seemed wrong to me.

eddiewagner likes this.
  11. TwanglerNYC

TwanglerNYC TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. To be honest, I can't remember what gauge B string I have on there right now, but I've tried some different gauges. I was thinking of putting on a set of 11's, which has a .14 for the B. I'll also try raising the guitar (shortening the strap). And I probably should practice playing while standing a bit more -- I tend to sit until I'm playing with other people. It's a shame that there's no easy way to adjust the tension on the PG Benders. And thanks T Prior for the info about the string tower rod -- I'll look into that as well.

eddiewagner likes this.
  12. T Prior

Its not just the PG Benders, many are like this. The Evans system as mentioned above indeed has a tension adjust, a nice feature , an excellent system.

While I certainly agree that the undesired bend is an artifact of many Bender guitars, it can be overcome. I had mentioned above that I also own a Gibson Music City with a Glaser system with adjustable tension. I had set the tension too strong and then had to release it as it was not allowing for slow controlled bends. It is now adjusted very much like the Fender PG that I have.

I feel a 14 is too strong a gauge for a B strong, perhaps try a 12 see what happens. I'm certainly no expert, just sharing a few experiences I have "logged" along the journey.

Worse case, take the PG system apart and add a spring or move the spring by adding an additional hole or two. My biggest complaint with the PG is that each time we need to do "something" to the pull system, we have to remove the B string and the entire unit. I have no issues whatsoever with the Fender PG guitar, in fact currently it is my go to Tele for all gigs. The PG guitar is a heavy guitar so that also plays into the equation. I do believe we can add two additional holes for the main spring mount which in my mind should have already been there ! Just be aware that if we tighten it too much it can very well effect the pull "play-ability"

also don't be afraid to call Gene Parsons at his shop, see what he says.

All this being said, I have a Tele body due to arrive today with the Forrest Lee system. It's not that I don't like the PG , I do, but the Tele that the FL system is installed in is a preferred guitar overall. while I am changing systems, I am mostly changing guitars. If that makes any sense .

13. TwanglerNYC

TwanglerNYC TDPRI Member

You're not kidding! I would love a lighter guitar with a bender. Some day...

14. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly problem right now

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.