1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In your experiences, what is the best bridge to pair with a hipshot b-bender?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Bunky, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

Thanks

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

On what guitar?

Hipshots can go on just about anything and any bridge usually works - the trick is getting sufficient downforce, or break angle, at the saddle. this is done by adding pressure behind the saddle. The method depends on the bridge, guitar and neck attachment type. On a bolt-neck you can usually just shim the neck - but may need to slot the back of the bridge, bridge pan or whatever.

Some Hipshots have a spring that holds the string down a bit - that can help or do the whole job. But sometimes they're too long or not strong enough.

No matter what guitar type each one is different and takes some tweaking in the setup. It really helps if you do your own tech work - otherwise you may or may need a tech's help so you don't end up with a big sustain loss at the 2nd string.

3. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

I've had one on a G&L ASAT Saddle-Lock with no issues.

AlabamaOutlaw and brookdalebill like this.
  4. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I just use a top-loader bridge. Works perfectly. I use the Teflon tubes that come with the Hipshot or a bicycle brake line liner, enlarging the holes in the flange if I must. I cut the tubes short enough to just go thru the bridge flange. This method gives good downforce on the saddles.

5. Alan T

Alan T TDPRI Member

Just installed one on my G & L ASAT Tribute. Used a Wilkinson bridge with 3 brass compensating saddles. Holes for top loading enlarged to 7/64, works great.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve used Hipshot benders since they first appeared (1983).
    I’ve used them with Fender 3 saddle, Fender 6 saddle, Fender block 6 saddle, G&L top loaders, Gibson tune a matics, and even floating (pinned bridges).
    The all worked great, regardless.
    My personal “magic bullet” is an 11 set of strings, and slightly higher action.
    It’s all about getting the right downbearing on the saddle, IMO.

btheblue likes this.
  7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love brass saddles, but on my Hipshot the B string sawed into the soft brass saddle pretty fast, so I use a 60's steel saddle for the B/E on it now.

8. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I've also used HipShots since they first came out in the early eighties when I was living in SoCal.... My first was on my main Tele which later in 2005 was fitted with a Parsons/White bender... I've used Hipshots on a Gibson Les Paul, an Epi Les Paul, an Ibanez Artist, three Strats and an off brand or two... On my first Tele installation I cut a slot in the rear of the bridge plate and shimmed the neck for a little added pressure. On the Strats I didn't have to do anything as with the Les Paul(s) as well.............JH in Va.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.