In the "USED" market - GE Smith's do not exist

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Which makes it even harder as I passed up at least three at very good prices 3 or 4 years ago.

But now - I will re-double my efforts and I will find a Dakota red one and it will be no more than $1500 and it will be close to my house and - whoa ! I just woke up...:cry:

Much like Muddy Tele's, I think these thing will remain rare and expensive for the foreseeable future

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I'd love to just find a GE neck for a reasonable price. I think the inlays are very cool.

3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I used to think the same about the Muddy Teles until I stumbled across one at a great price a couple of months ago and managed to snag it.

It is all about persistence and being in the right place at the right time.

4. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Amen Brother. Persistence is a virtue. Just hang in there it will happen! :D

5. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Patience Grasshoppa

I'd do a daily CL search with the option of "check nearby areas" checked. Look at Reverb too and maybe E bay. I like to try CL though so I can play the guitar. Not sure how it is in MI but NJ has four alone. Maybe try GC used gear, you will get their return policy just in case. Maybe a WTB ad on TGP or here would work.

I think the Staten Island CL had one about a year ago..

6. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How many do you think were sold...was it really that popular a guitar ?

8. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

iirc they weren't real popular in the first place. Within days of learning that they were discontinued there wasn't one to be found. I'm usually pretty good at snooping out what I'm looking for but the GE Smith Tele became a ghost..

9. Gretschman

Gretschman TDPRI Member

I had ordered a GE Smith telecaster before they were discontinued and it took 9 months to receive one from Fender. According to the local Fender Rep. I got the last one ever built (it finally came in on Jan 29, 2015). My serial number ends in 635(SV000635)---I do not know if the numbers were sequential, but it allows one to speculate that there were only 635 GE Smith Guitars ever built--this is just a guess based on serial numbers, this has not been confirmed with Fender.

10. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

It was such a nice guitar that those who bought them don't want to part with them

11. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

I've seen one on-line here that is selling (new) for just under £1500. That's a couple of hundred more than the AVRI's. It seems a bit on the expensive side for a T with fancy fretboard inlays and a body mounted bridge pup. Are they really that good? Genuinely curious.

12. drasp

drasp TDPRI Member

Lots of good info on them here:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/131144-g-e-smith-owners-club.html

I got the last G.E. Smith (Dakota) from Chicago Music Exchange last year. Had played several, but found many of them too heavy for my tastes, and just HAD to have the red. Mine is "just right" - my Goldilocks Tele. ~7.5lbs, fitted a black guard, some Nocaster pups & just play the crap out of it. I've played a handful of Nocasters from various eras, and to me, the neck on the G.E. is even better. Keep looking & one will pop up!!! Might be worth mentioning that you're on the prowl in the owner's thread!?

13. tino7770

tino7770 TDPRI Member

My ol GE is up on the bay now…nice early one..shes mighty purdy sings like a Ho!!!
    Just got back into my Esquire and Mrs T says somethings gotta go

14. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

What's a reasonable price?

15. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

This plus the original run with head stock serial numbers probably places the total around 700. I know there is one on the 'bay now. Relisted from $2400 down to $2150. You may watch it to see how low it goes. I recently paid $1550 w/shipping for a supposed 'sample' GE Smith that turned out to be a partscaster. The neck is GE and I'm about 99% sure the body is too but nothing else on the guitar appears kosher.

After some soul searching I ended up keeping it. Mainly because of the neck. Not really a U shape but more of a large '56 rounded V type. It's a wonderful neck and I've been giving it a workout ever since I set it up.

Reverb shows sales in the $1400-$1500 range for clean examples so I definitely paid too much but I'm not regretting it as they don't come around that often. If you're willing to play the waiting game that's what I'd expect to pay for a clean example.

16. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, they really are great guitars. Something about the body mounted bridge pickup, it sounds great. Very nice neck too. I had one that I bought at a ridiculous price ($560), but sold it to finance another purchase. I maybe should have kept it, but flipping is a disease, man!

17. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had a red one I bought new for $1350, and sold it a year or so later. Never was able to break it in to where it got comfortable to play. Extremely stiff guitar for some reason. Can't imagine paying $2K for one as a rarity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.