IN THE LIGHT OF HARLEY BENTON, FIREFLY, COZART AND ARTIST...DO NOT FORGET SX AND HADEAN.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by goodcheaptele, Dec 15, 2019.

1. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele TDPRI Member

There are so many "Hundred Buck Tele Clones" out there nowadays it is easy to forget some of the pioneers in "Chinese Made Bargains". Forget Chenders and Chibsons...instead...give a look at SX and Hadean from Rondo Music Online. They were one of the first (if not THE first) budget clone manufacturers. They still have product to offer. In fact, some of the Hadeans seem to be just re-branded SX models. Same specs and electronics but maybe basswood bodies instead of alder bodies. Still these are brands to consider if you want a "cheap" (or rather inexpensive "tele clone") to mod or use for low end gigs at dives and bars. SX and Hadean seem to have a more "correct" body shape and spec layout than Xaviere (another good budget brand) or some of the late comers. They do have a rather flat 13.7" radius but if I recall they were very playable. I just popped for a $105 Hadean with double bound body and candy apple red finish with an aged maple neck. Looks cool. It will arrive in a few days and I will post an update.

djh22, Torren61 and rangercaster like this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

And these are made in ??? Korea or Indonesia ??? Not that it makes a difference ...

goodcheaptele likes this.
  3. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

I have Hadean ukulele bass that is as good as the Kala upscale brand. Never tried their guitars, I build my cheap guitars :)

adamsappel and goodcheaptele like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Personally I think the Benton and Michael Dolsey are better quality than the SX. But the SX are pretty good. Then again, I think the first two are a bit more money also.

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm curious to the Glarry tele copy too.

I have a number of the older SX's with the full body thickness & straight ferrules. I like 'em.

6. goodcheaptele

Made in China as far as I know. They were made in China up to a few years ago and still might be made there now.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I have a SX made Custom 24 PRS clone That is fantastic.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The Agile guitars offered by Rondo are as good as the Gibson's guitars in many ways.

HTSMetal, goodcheaptele and Nubs like this.
  9. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

* Deleted *

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Gave mine away to kids starting out.

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Really enjoyed the several older SX S and T types I bought 7 or 8 years ago. They were great mod platforms. I tried one of the newer T types 3 or 4 years ago but sold it - do not like the thinner body and staggered string thru holes on the newer versions.

12. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

I just got one of the Glarry Teles the other day. Black with Maple fingerboard. Basswood body, plastic nut, 22 frets, 25.5 scale length. It is extremely light, 5.6 pounds (less than advertised, actually). Typical setup for a Telecaster, with three giant saddles instead of one for each string, Volume and Tone knobs and a three position switch. It came with a very thin gig bag, a cable I took one look at and threw into a corner, a flimsy 48" joke of a guitar strap (I'm 6'3"), a couple allen wrenches, and a guitar pick. In the interest of full disclosure, this is the only tele-style guitar I have, have played, or even picked up.

The positives...

The neck feels extremely comfortable to me, knobs and switch and tuners are all functional and reasonably tight. Finish is good, no flaws. Electronics are all functional. Action is very low. Everything functions and works. Seems to be holding tune as well as any of my other guitars, but it's only been a few days. Neck is straight.

As for the negatives...

The tuners are unevenly spaced on the headstock. It's a small thing, but once you notice it, you can't un-notice it. The neck also seems to be very slightly out of alignment, with the strings closer to the edge on the bass side than the treble side. The switch seems to either be leaning or bent toward the treble side of the guitar. Intonation is off - everything is quite sharp at the twelfth fret.

Sound...

The neck pickup is extremely sensitive to height, apparently. When I changed the original black pickguard for a tort one, it took me a moment to find the right neck pickup height, but once I did...glorious, mellow chords. The bridge pickup, well...my first impression was that it sounds very, very "tinny" when playing chords, but messing with my amp settings fixed that, and it sounds fine playing lead-type stuff. Still not sure I like the bridge pickup.

Overall...

This is a very comfortable guitar to play, everything functions well enough, and while there are issues in the build (neck alignment, tuner spacing, switch), none of them affect the way the guitar plays in any way at all. The intonation can be fixed easily enough with a few minutes of tweaking. It is shockingly good for the price I paid ($85, free shipping)...I would have honestly expected something more like $150 or $179 (at which point I wouldn't have bought it, just as I didn't buy a Sawtooth or an SX or any number of other low cost tele clones). Overall, I'd put it as lower than a good SX, but higher than most of the no-name guitars even though it's in the same price range. It's clearly a low end guitar, but it's a good enough base that it's worth modifying into something better if you're into that sort of thing.

And, finally, a picture:

GlarryTele.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Zepfan, nojazzhere, preactor and 3 others like this.
  13. goodcheaptele

Hi sk25...it makes you wonder in light of getting a decent Tele (or whatever) for around $100 (give or take a few bucks extra for a few mods) how is it that Fender can charge $11,999.00 for the "Blind Faith" era Tele with the Strat neck????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first guitar back in 1968 was a Fender Telecaster (back when they only had one model Tele that came in a few differing colors) and I paid $145 with hard case thrown in!!! Give me some sanity here. Fender and Gibson have gone off the radar with pricing these days. A Tele is supposed to be a Tele no matter what price range it comes in. The Classic Vibe Tele is supposed to be all that a Tele could be. So why does the CV Squier/Fender tele cost $399 while the EC BF Tele goes for almost $12 Grand???? Crazy.

Kiwi_Neil likes this.
  14. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Great job on the review sk25.

15. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

I've owned several SX guitars and basses and I love the necks. I expect to have high frets and/or sharp fret ends on a guitar in that price range, but I've never had to touch any of the frets, and I love the neck profile.

The nuts are usually badly cut and need to be replaced, as well as the hardware and electronics (IMO), but in terms of construction, fit and finish, I think they're equal to an MIM standard. Or at least a CV Squier.

goodcheaptele and HTSMetal like this.
  16. goodcheaptele

HT4.jpg HT5.jpg View attachment 665216 HT1.jpg View attachment 665216 HT1.jpg View attachment 665216 View attachment 665218
    UPDATE:They are still made in China.
    The Hadeans of a few years ago pale in comparison to the newer ones. The fit & finish is much better. In fact, this one that I just received is basically an SX model in all respects. Of course the pot metal hardware is still there and so are the basic mostly functional tuning machines, etc etc. But the total package is well worth the sale price of $105. These usually sell for around $130. The neck is very playable and there are no buzzes, fret outs or sprouts as of this writing. The body depth is 1 5/8" instead of the usual 1 3/4" depth. But they are much thicker than the Affinity models. The Hadean is just 1/8" thinner than the usual Standard models and this helps cut down on the weight (which for basswood is pretty hefty). The neck pocket fit is tight and clean. The cosmetics are really sweet. There was some kind of abrasion/discoloration on the face of the bridge plate...but so what!! See pics. I swapped out the knobs and switch cap. AND the neck is one piece (there is no scarf joint or heel joint)...it is all a one piece neck. The neck has nice graining that may not show up in the photos. HT1.jpg View attachment 665216 HT1.jpg View attachment 665218

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  17. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I vote sx for tele or strat especially if you want something a bit diff than the standard squier configs.

18. goodcheaptele

I agree with nomadh….also I would like to point out that my Hadean as seen above has a one piece maple neck with nice graining but it also has a separate maple fretboard over the neck itself...something which I prefer (and something that Fender actually did in 1967 on Teles).

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen a couple of SX guitars in Europe. They're not that common, but also not strictly Rondo.

20. Ted Keane

Ted Keane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Beautiful.Never heard of them before.Aren't the string ferrils in the back supposed to be in a straight line?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.