1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In The Days Of Yore, Before Electronic Tuners...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CCK1, May 1, 2021.

1. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Holic

Had mine since 68....got more over the years...handy,reliable..require no batteries just breath....only need 1 pitch itself to tune up remaining strings...running out of breath now!

2. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I think I have one of those around here somewhere. I might have pitched it or gave it away in the last year or so.

I actually worked at Radio Shack in the late eighties-early nineties. When I started playing guitar in '91 those tuners were an obvious purchase. I think we had an employee discount too.

JDthaddeus likes this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i cannot tune accurately by ear and it was a nightmare for me for a long time. i gave up playing several times because of it, but i would always come back. if i had known there was an affordable electronic tuner i could buy in 1977 i would have been all over it.

in the '80s, i saw a Sabine chromatic tuner advertised in a magazine for 50 bucks. i scraped it together and ordered one. it worked for several years and just quit one day, but by that time there were plenty of others to choose from. if there weren't affordable, accurate tuners, i probably wouldn't play at all.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I remember saying to a guy in a punk band (after a set), "Do you guys ever tune your instruments?"
    He said,"Hey, man...this is PUNK!"

5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Memory fuzzy. I still have my A440 tuning fork. Drove me crazy because there's no open A string on the banjo.

The reed banjo tuner was terrible to work with. You can easily blow it out by a quarter-tone.

I bought a Casio chromatic tuner in the 80s. It had little piano keys and a needle. Then I bought a Korg "cassette".

The first banjo tutor I bought had a floppy plastic record in it and the record started with tuning tones. Everybody had a record player...right?

When I played Viola, our conductor used the 1st Violin to tune us up (she'd get him in tune first). I kept a clip-on tuner but she routinely tuned us up about 5 cents flat. Her internal tuning standard...

6. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I still have my tuning fork. But I got one in E (rather than A) so it is much easier to use. E on the first (skinny) string.

Somewhere I still have the electronic tuner I bought in the early 80’s. What a huge improvement—I could actually now intonate a guitar! And the band now would actually be in tune with each other.

I also discovered that most, if not all of the folks who claimed “I can tune it better by ear”….couldn’t. They might get it to sound good on an open C chord for example but then it would sound like poo other times, as well as sounding dissonant with the other folks in the band. The compromise of our equal temperament tuning system actually works pretty well.

7. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It was too bad sans tuners with acoustic guitars because most guys who knew their way around them could at least tune to pitch, but electric? Oh God, spare me. I know guys who still will happily play along horribly outta tune until somebody hands them a tuner.

My first tuner was the Sabine you could run on stage and it was great because nearly everybody used one.

JDthaddeus and thunderbyrd like this.
  8. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Here's the portion of the page from the recent Anthology book on his equipment and stage clothes by Jimmy Page, on why and when he acquired his first strobe tuner -- tube (valve) powered, to boot!

jimmy_page_anthology_strobotuner_5-2-21-2.jpg

9. JDthaddeus

JDthaddeus TDPRI Member

I still force myself tune by ear first, then use the tuner to see how close I can get.
    Honestly when we had no baseline we just tuned the whole band by ear. I feel certain that the were times we were out of tune technically but at least we were in tune with each other.

10. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Wow! That's the oldest one I've seen.

11. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Absolutely George was a character! I've had him follow me out the door, and into the parking lot over a deal on a Yamaha SBG2000. I ended up buying the guitar. And yeah, I think I paid $100 for the Peterson.

Killing Floor likes this.
  12. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

This is the oldest piece of gear that I still own, purchased in 1965. IMAG1193.jpg

13. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Bass Player..."Aaayyyyyyy"... God I hated that...:cool:

M57ZTQIAI5QFSVNMTGKDYPR7QY.jpg

14. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

They certainly existed when I was a teenager in the mid nineties but I was so broke I tuned from songs on my stereo that I knew had an E somewhere in there. Smashing Pumpkins’ Cherub Rock was most commonly utilized. I didn’t even know what pitch pipes or tuning forks even were.

JDthaddeus likes this.
  15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Part of my first and only guitar lesson was my purchase of an A-440 tuning fork, and the guy showed me how to tune one string to another.

16. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It was just a year or two ago that I realized that Yamaha's logo--which I first saw on motorcycles, not musical instruments--is three tuning forks.

wulfenganck likes this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've got an old 490 in the garage, and a Conn. Both need service, but still work.

18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Oh, those lovely days.....on the better parts, we had a keyboarder in the band.
    But I also used a tuningpipe and once or twice even a tuningfork, which I learned when I started. That was especially.....interesting in loud clubs.....
    I can remember using the dialtone from my old phone at home, because those old pulse dial phones had a dial tone of around 440 Hertz.
    I can't remember when I bought my first cliptuner, but it sure made things waaayyyy easier!

JDthaddeus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.