1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In praise of Warmoth Guitar Parts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ajab, Sep 25, 2020.

1. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

PA12 nylon powder. Weighs around 7 lbs but with the hollow body it tends to neck dive. Luckily the pickup, switchplate cavities are sealed so I can drill into one and put some gravel in the bottom
    or something to give it some balance and plug it back up. Wasnt sure if it was gonna be a wall hanger or player so I went cheap on hardware, except tuners. Sounds good though. Twangs like a Tele!!!

2. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like Warmoth, especially Gibson-scale necks, of which I have 3.

3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

You could drill a small hole and put some sand inside the body until yo have the weight you like, then some spray foam to hold it in place.

4. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They made me a beautiful left hand pickguard out of tortoise for one of my Telecaster builds, Strat middle pickup and P90 on the neck, absolutely flawless... :)

5. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Good idea!!

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i love warmoth. hard for me to imagine better parts.

tomkatf and GFrank like this.
  7. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

New member, first post?

Warmoth wouldn't shill, right?

8. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I have bought dozens of bodies and necks from Warmoth since the mid 80s and have had nothing but fantastic products and service from them.

9. Ajab

Ajab TDPRI Member

I left my roasted maple neck unfinished, as recommended by Warmoth - plays like a dream, so far as i am concerned!

StevesBoogie likes this.
  10. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I purchased a Roast Swamp Ash strat body and a Roasted Maple neck from them back at the start of the recent 'world issues'. It arrived with only 2 weeks delay. Absolutely fantastic quality.

The unfinished Roasted Maple neck has ruined all other necks for me!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    StevesBoogie likes this.
  11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've bought quite few necks from them, many years ago (at least 35) I went to their shop and bought some stuff . The last neck I bought from them I ordered a fat profile about 2 hours later I changed my mind called back to change it two a normal size neck they wanted $50 to take that order out of the system I thought that was a bit out of line. That was about the same time I really payed attention to making my own necks. BTW I did take the fat neck I should of spent the $50.

12. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

I have to agree with the praise for Warmoth parts and service. i have bought several necks and a body, plus assorted other parts,. and have never had a problem. The quality was great. i don't know about their return policy,. because I've never had to return anything. As for Roasted maple necks, i have 1 (Warmoth, of course), and I just gave it a coat of TruOil to kind of seal it and give it a sheen. It looks great !

13. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Hi Marc - may I ask what neck profile you ordered for the unfinished roasted maple neck and what your opinion on that profile is? Thank you in advance.

14. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Hi there, no problem! I picked a one piece Roasted Maple with the 'Clapton' profile. I wanted a V profile neck to match my 'main' guitar, a MIJ '54 RI, which has a one piece maple V too.

The neck on mine is ~.850 - .940. The V is soft, but also well defined, it fits perfectly in the hand and isn't too dramatic a V, while the neck also feels slim when playing.

The feel of the neck is amazing, it's the slickest, silk like neck I've ever played - I am genuinely amazed at how smooth it is. I picked 6230 vintage style frets which are nicely done with no sharp edges, and are pretty level - easily level enough to do an initial set up and play happily.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Speaking well of others is always a joy to experience. An adventure with a happy ending in hard times is a joy.Thanks for posting this .

StevesBoogie likes this.
  16. Ajab

Ajab TDPRI Member

Living in London, not familiar with the term "shill". Anyway, might be a new member, but not a "newcomer" - been using the forum to browse for its very helpful and useful information for some time. I just thought i'd join to pass on my good experiences in my Tele refurbishment project - see also my second post re Q Pickups (again, no affiliation or economic or other connection...) :)

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

A shill is an "insider" planted in the crowd at a carnival or snake oil sale, whose display of enthusiasm is designed to stimulate demand from "real" customers.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome!

I like Warmoth.

I've bought about 12 necks from them, all totaled.

But here's what I know: The necks I got from Tommy Rosamond after he broke away from Warmoth and formed USACG were on average palpably better. And I got better deals on them and super one on one customer service. And one of the Warmoth necks (one piece rosewood) scared the pants off of me - it took about two years before I could play it and say it sounded really good. To say it smelled like a litter box, would be being kind - but eventually that resolved.

I think returning stuff is ridiculous. I don't even consider whether it is Warmoth's fault or the Postal Service or the Martians. I'm not buying any of these types of things until the current amount of chaos is well past. If I had to have some necks right now, I guess I'd order a batch from Allparts. Nobody needs the torment and anxiety of shipping a single, one off neck right now. Not meaning any disrespect but there's got to be another way to get that jolt of adrenaline.

I think one of the reasons Tommy and I got along so well, was I let him do a lot of the choosing as he knew what I wanted and also knew what he could ship quickly and without a lot of fuss and he knew I'd rather pull one of my own teeth than return something from The Deep American South to the Sea-Tac area. I'd order eight of basically the same neck, mass order, and he could make the economies of scale work and make money even while selling at a price per unit far below other fabricators/craftsmen.

All the rigamarole of necks being shipped across the world, and getting lost, and the undeniable costs to all of this predictable misadventure, must be borne by someone. Either Ken's workers have to take a pay cut or cheaper wood or fretwire must be used or the customer gets to pay more. None of these things work for me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  19. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My apologies, then. Welcome, and I'm glad you had a wonderful experience :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.