1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In praise of Warmoth Guitar Parts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ajab, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Ajab

Ajab TDPRI Member

Hi - I'm sure many will be aware of Warmoth and its capabilities, but I just wanted to point up again how thoroughly excellent a company they are -in terms of quality of product and excellence of customer service.
    I ordered a new neck for my Telecaster rebuild - "Vintage/Modern" design to give the truss rod access at the base of the neck, roasted maple with Pao Ferro fingerboard. This was just into Covid, but the Warmoth team handled this notwithstanding. Something of a delay in delivery caused by the UK Royal Mail "losing" the package for a while and then returning it to Warmoth, but Warmoth instantly offered to replace it for free if needed - it didn't, so they re-sent it for free, along with some welcome freebies.
    It arrived, has now been fitted (after virtually no prep needed - levels and fretting near perfect out of the box) - and plays like an absolute dream. Best neck I have had the fortune to play.
    Big thanks to Warmoth and its excellent CEO, Sandy Hosfelt - customer service at a level sadly too infrequently seen these days!

PS - to be clear I have no connection or affiliation with Warmoth other being a very satisfied customer wanting to give credit where it's due...

2. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Excellent post.

I am toying with the idea of getting a new neck for my Strat. Roasted maple back and front. Had some silly questions and decided to e-mail them at two different times. Got a response within 24 hours both times. I have never purchased anything from them in the past but was very pleasantly surprised with their response and the helpfulness/tone of their replies.

Out of curiosity, did you have any finish applied to the roasted maple neck or did you leave it unfinished? I am leaning heavily toward an unfinished maple neck, back and fretboard.

Lastly, I love their 'neck wizard' on their website. I can, and have, experimented many times with that!!! LOL

3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The one I have is so nice I don't want to take it off to put a finish on it! Though I know i have to.

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I've never been disappointed by those folks. Although, I don't think they offer lacquer finishes. I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

They say that roasted maple doesn't need a finish. On a couple of my "builds" (assemblies) I used minwax wipe-on satin poly finish. It was super easy, inexpensive, and created a nice smooth, non-glossy finish with minimal effort. After that experience there is no way I would go to the trouble of spraying a neck.

Warmoth does make great parts. I wish they had a few more neck options, and didn't charge so much for unfinished bodies, but the "showcase" is amazing for window shopping and generating GAS, and the parts once you receive them are as good as it gets.

Hey_you and StevesBoogie like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Amen!

7. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

Very nice! I have a roasted maple neck from them with a rosewood fretboard. No finish for me, and I couldn’t imagine putting one on for they way it feels to me. I am probably ruined for all other necks now... haha

StevesBoogie likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

They don't. I think it's due to the strict EPA rules on the stuff because all Warmoth production is done in the US.

I've been using Warmoth products since the company was named Boogie Bodies. They've always offered top-shelf parts and work; they are my go-to for necks. I've spent a lot of $ there and it is worth it.

A pal of mine worked there for a few years and has said it was a good experience.

Frankie, Fahfrid and StevesBoogie like this.
  9. Fahfrid

Fahfrid TDPRI Member

I LOVE Warmoth! Their overall quality of manufacturing is as good as it gets, and their customer service is unbeatable. I have more of their products than I do any other single manufacturer. 4B083E51-0C81-44BE-A209-2F7346740DEA.jpeg

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I have had an excellent results with what I received from them but had a weird customer service experience there once.

I called trying to find out the specs of a neck I had ordered a year or two previous so I could get the same again. The customer service individual informed me that their old orders were purged every so often but my customer profile was still on their books - making it sound like they still had the information on my last order.

However because I didnt have the order number he couldnt give me the information. The kid sounded like he was waaaay more interested in enforcing the rules that helping me spend my money there. Not a big deal, just a strange interaction - maybe a supervisor crawled up his butt earlier that day or something. In any case, I ended up trying a different profile that I actually like better.

11. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

That’s weird—through my account I can pull up the details of every order I’ve placed with them. Recently I did, for just the reason you said: to check the specs on a neck I ordered from them almost ten years ago. It was all right there, still.

StevesBoogie and mgreene like this.
  12. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

Have built w/ Warmoth Necks and Warmoth Bodies - fantastic quality every time.

tomkatf and StevesBoogie like this.
  13. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Where did you get that from? I was thinking of using Tru Oil but that sounds better. (My neck is birdseye maple, not roasted.)

14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just Home Depot. tape off the fretboard if it's not also maple. Use small amounts on a clean rag (like a cut up tshirt), rub it in. Goes on nice and thin. A couple of coats is plenty and it should be ready to go in a couple of days.
    I've used it on a couple of furniture projects too - I'm a beginner / hack woodworker - and it does the trick for a simple protective coat.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

May be good quality but far too expensive.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

They are not cheap, but too expensive compared to what? Is there any other company that has the selection in stock and the ability to make a wide variety of custom necks and bodies at that quality? I don't think there is.

jman72 likes this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like Warmoth, too.

18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Love Warmoth. I have two necks and a body. I really like the compound radius and the side adjustment on the neck heel. One criticism, though. I refretted one that the radius was inaccurate with. It took some work with a leveling beam to get it right.

19. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

FB74EC43-AA0F-41C6-85BB-FDD22835B46B.jpeg 24704CB3-D4C0-4B36-AE19-20A7A8B1D0B0.jpeg

Put a Strat neck from them on my 3D printed Tele body. Perfect fit, sounds and plays like a Tele. Made on the printer behind it

20. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Cool, what's it weigh? Is the body material similar to plastic? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know nothing about printed guitar bodies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.