1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In praise of vintage style tuners

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by naveed211, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Karl Beach

Karl Beach TDPRI Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Rock on, brotha! Actually got the Tele in question from Dave’s Milwaukee location last weekend. Gotta support local!

3. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

I'm not sure why you're calling the first photo in the thread "vintage". The handles are not vintage. They just have split posts. The only tuners I really don't like are the sideways ones like on classical guitars, where they split the headstock and put the spool inside. I find those very difficult to deal with, especially with steel strings (like on Ric 12-strings).

I have a '69 Martin D-28 I bought new that came with Grovers. They're still on the guitar with maybe 1000 string changes and zero maintenance. They work perfectly.

I have a pair of long-nose pliers with cutters. I have to cut the strings off anyway, so if there's sharp bits sticking out, I use the long-nose to bend the ends around so they will not puncture any fingers.

I also do the loop-around thing where you pull the string around and up underneath before winding. It's not necessary but I always do it.

I don't change strings frequently on electrics, but on acoustics, it really makes a difference. I like somewhat dirty strings on electrics...otherwise they're too bright for my liking.

4. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

I use sperzels. Locking tuners are better. Period. That's not an opinion. It's a fact. I change all my strings when I break one. Going on 5 years on my current set on my custom telecaster. 250+ gigs easy not counting practices. Of course d'addario isn't making any money off me.

5. Artemio_Cruz

Artemio_Cruz Tele-Meister

I haven't posted in TDPRI in years but I agree so much I needed to reply to this. My Baja Tele was my first guitar with the slotted tuners and main axe for years, every time I re-string a guitar with normal tuners I can't stop thinking what a drag it is, I haven't tried locking but I'm thinking its just as easy as slotted?

naveed211 likes this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, honestly I thought about changing the title to “split shaft” when I thought more about it. But whatever, a hundred posts and six pages in at this point, you get the idea.

7. DaveHarris

DaveHarris TDPRI Member

My perfered I don't seem to mind the pointy ends......-

upj61ffhsgno2swvjotn.jpg

q2cn1fhtvffygxwoypup.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  8. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

I'm not crazy about those. They're kinda bulky. I know they're handy if you use a whammy a lot. I don't. I bend strings a lot, so I pull on new strings and re-tune until they don't change anymore. Doesn't matter then, if they're locking or not.

9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, locking tuners are second place for me. They’re not any more difficult to string, just different steps. Maybe I’ll buy a guitar with locking tuners next and start a thread about that, too.

10. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

Wish I had a photo. I have a Gibson ES Artist that has little string winder cranks folded into the tuner knobs. Fixing a broken string on that guitar is really quick!

:cool:

11. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Split post vintage tuners with the hole are my favorite too.
    Very easy and tidy to restring my guitar, with no sharp ends sticking out. The number of times I've punctured myself on a Gibson headstock....

Also easy to take the strings off if I need to work on something....and easy to put them back on again when I'm done (if the string ends haven't put themselves into a Chinese-puzzle tangle..).

12. Artemio_Cruz

Artemio_Cruz Tele-Meister

Try coated strings if you haven't, same sound as slightly dirtied strings but smooth feeling. They last you a long while too.

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

My two Strat Plus guitars have locking Schaller tuners, and neither have ANY neck-dive. If you do have a guitar with neck dive, lighter tuners may help or maybe not depending on the reason for it.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. dirtguitar

dirtguitar TDPRI Member

Personally, I think the Vintage tuning keys suck. Locking tuners are so simple it's silly not to like them and there's no slipping.. slide the string in the hole, tighten the locking nut and start tuning. I can't tell you how many E strings I've kinked or broken using the Vintage tuners on my Clapton Strat, and as far as I know, there's no replacement for them.

15. JPA1

JPA1 NEW MEMBER!

435F34DA-DAFD-4F75-A06A-253F527B880C.jpeg A23F1441-89A1-488E-BA67-6CEA65A404B3.jpeg

After I purchased my Classic Vibe 50's Strat, I found a set of Wilkinson tuners to replace the horrific ones on my Les Paul Special 1 P90 and it was a huge improvement. Looks much better too.

I know I didn't fill the old holes but it kind of gives it some mojo.

16. dpang

dpang TDPRI Member

I like Wilkinson EZ Lok's. 2 Post holes, one above the other at around 45 degrees. 2 revolutions max on winds.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Well, no, if I come across a super deal of a guitar that is otherwise perfect BUT for the tuners, I'll get it and swap the tuners. However, guitars that don't have vintage tuners also tend to be all wrong for me spec wise. Not an iron law, but a fairly solid one…

Anyway: IF I see a super deal, and want to pass for whatever reason, I'll PM you ;D But super-deals are so woefully rare on Reverb and its smaller brethren…

18. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

On my custom made Telecaster I've replaced the standard tuners with vintage. I'm very happy and stay in tune better than my Les Paul with locking tuners :)

19. randym

randym TDPRI Member

Dave's in Milwaukee, Dave's in LaCrosse (the upstairs vintage museum, see attachments for 10% of what he has DSC00380.JPG DSC00383.JPG ) and Cream City Music!

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have one guitar with vintage style tuners, and I hate it, but not enough to replace them. I prefer the simple ones with the whole drill through the middle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.