1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In praise of vintage style tuners

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by naveed211, Sep 21, 2020.

1. nashvillebill

nashvillebill TDPRI Member

About the first thing I do when I buy a new electric, is put locking tuners on it.

2. Haolemon

Haolemon NEW MEMBER!

I recently had my Tele tuners replaced with the new Kluson locking tuners. They work great and look original from the front. If you hate changing strings, the locking tuner are a no brained. You can change strings in 1/4 the time as regular tuners.

3. Moonrider

Moonrider Tele-Meister

They're second best. I love the vintage style, but locking tuners are the shizzle!

4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

Saf-t-keys are the original locking tuners. Light weight (they're hollow), simple design (less to tear up), clean look, no string ends to bloody your fingers on, work great.
    I definitely see the attraction of the thumbwheel varieties. Never had any. Used almost everything else, at one time or another, never had any real tuning issues with any of them, just prefer the vintage to all of them. Needle nose pliers required.

5. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Right. Fender classic gear tuners! Vintage style split shafts and no screws on the back of the neck.

stnmtthw likes this.
  6. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

Yes - "Vintage" is the only way to go. Question though: Do I see only "one" wind or "turn" of each string on each post in your picture? If so, do you stay in tune pretty well? I always have 2-3 full turns of each string on each post to ensure no slippage and going out of tune. I cut each string at the 3rd post beyond the one I am changing. With the ~1/2" or so down into the post, that gives me enough for 2-3 full turns (2 on the low E, A, and D, and 3 for the G, B, and high E. On occasion I might go 3 turns on my D-string. I am interested if I am seeing your photo correctly, and how often you have to tune? Thanks

7. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

I recently entered the vintage tuners Heaven. After so many decades, I bought a guitar (I must confess, a Strat...) with klusonesq IMG-20200827-WA0027.jpeg ue tuners. I love the aesthetics, and they're so easy to deal with...

naveed211 likes this.
  8. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

Maybe it's superficial...but having vintage tuners on a Fender is a make or break deal for me when considering a purchase. I typically won't even consider a Fender that has modern tuners. Maybe I'm missing out on some killer guitars...but I don't care. LOVE vintage tuners on a Fender from both a functionality and aesthetic standpoint.

naveed211 and Clickfiend like this.
  9. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

Amen to that. Vintage split tuners all day.

aFewGoodTaters and naveed211 like this.
  10. Moonrider

Moonrider Tele-Meister

It's not about tuning issues, it's about ease of use. I've never had tuning issues from any tuner. I like the locking tuners because I can literally do a complete string change in less than 10 minutes, including the time taken to tune and stretch them a bit. Vintage styles are almost as fast, but take a bit more work to use.

Devanatha and stnmtthw like this.
  11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Nope, each string has at least three winds on them. Honestly with other guitars I’ve done as little as one wind and tuning has been fine. I don’t doubt it plays a factor. But yeah, aside from what it may appear in the picture, all have at least three winds.

12. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

Only vintage style tuners for me on Fender guitars. I’ve had a guitar or two with lockers but didn’t care for them.

13. azureglo

azureglo TDPRI Member

Tuning stability isn't the reason for using locking tuners: It's quicker string changing, insert string, lock, snip end off then tune. No windings , up and under/over/alternate dimension threading etc. Most of the session and gigging pros I know use them for this reason. When I worked as studio session player, they were invaluable as I'd be changing strings on multiple guitars weekly at least.

The guff about improving tuning stability is some marketing geeks afterthought, as its simpler string changing these are bought for, at least by working musicians. I geek around with bridges etc as well so its way easier re-use newish strings that haven't got spiraled ends. That said, its a few minutes more using non lockers so each to their own, hell there's even a brand that has built in string cutters.

Lockers? I love 'em but YMMV.

Now back to the thread, picked up these wonderfully cheap Guyker vintage style lockers for £25 courtesy of Amazon as drop in, no drill replacements for the factory Gotoh vintage split posts on my Japanese Tokai Breezysound TTE-50. Despite some horror story reviews, work as well as the Gotohs, dropped straight in and look pretty vintage to me in nickel plate apparently

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  14. Kristof

Kristof TDPRI Member

Here is the way,

15. Kristof

Kristof TDPRI Member

Actually this is the way...

16. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Yeah they're the best. Somethings things are nailed first shot. Anyone having tuning issues with them needs to learn how to string a guitar.

17. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Love the simplicity of vintage, makes changing strings a breeze compared to hole tuners. Never had locking tuners, but all that extra hardware turns me off to them, tbh.

naveed211 likes this.
  18. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Love vintage lightweight tuners;)

naveed211 likes this.
  19. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

Vintage are crude rubbish compared to locking tuners.

20. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

wooohoooo! shout out to another wisconsinite.

Nice job on the tuners. Looks good. I've never had vintage tuners before. Maybe some day. Some of the guys on Andertons when I was watching vids a lot said they liked the vintage the best too.

For some reason I'm not picky about doing strings. I guess I kind of like working with my hands. One thing I don't do is use when of those winding tools. To me it feels awkward.

naveed211 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.