1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In praise of vintage style tuners

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by naveed211, Sep 21, 2020.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Count me in as a fan of the split shaft / vintage type. I think they look great, and they are easy to use and work well.

I’ve never had any problems with my high E and B strings. To be honest, I’m not really sure what people are referring to.

Pax/
    Dean

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Oops. Deluxe is 15 to 1, the Supreme is the 18 to 1
    (I think)

3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I do think you need to put a little more pressure on the string when winding it to make sure it’s tight in the shaft for the thinner strings, I’ve had the winding fall out after a few winds if it’s not in there tight. But as long as you have it in there tight it’s not a big deal. I don’t have too many problems with that.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  4. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I like my gotoh sd-91 vintage style tuners

5. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

Here are the Kluson Supreme 18/1 staggered tuners on my Protocaster T. They replaced some (awful) locking vintage looking tuners.

These things are great. This is a fantastic guitar that just had some hardware I didn't like (I replaced the bridge, saddles and tuners).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

naveed211 and 8trackmind like this.
  6. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

When I was a teenager in the late 70s everybody was going with Schallers for a few reasons; they looked cool and worked great, (although because of the taller post you had to add another string tree)and you simply couldn't get Klusons, except from Schecter, who was at the time a small custom shop in L.A. and they wanted $75 - that's $75 in 1977 dollars, folks (ouch!)! And a lot of us forgot that those failing Klusons were actually 25 years old, used, abused, beaten and battered. In 94 my MIJ 50s strat was proof that they are just fine. I've bought various copies through the 90's to now and admittedly some are junk but most are great, new Kluson, Gotoh and Stew-Mac.
    To pass time in quarantine I built two teles, one with Hipshot (my favorite Schaller type) and some Gotoh Klusons with varying post height. Two different flavors, but both fantastic. Reliable and smooth.
    While I'm at it, in 1980 I got a black 71 Tele Thinline (which one of my builds was to replicate) and the "F" tuners were great too when new (ish). Tight, stable and smooth.

7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i actually replaced the modern tuners on my tele with vintage tuners. the wider bushings look kind of silly to me, but i love this style of tuner. it's so convenient. i can see the appeal of locking tuners, but I use flatwounds and hardly ever break or change strings.

Devanatha likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This style of tuners thing as related to age is a new one for me.

9. Devanatha

Devanatha TDPRI Member

I've never understood the reason for using locking tuners. I have never once experienced that a good guitar went out of tune because a tuning peg suddenly moved. Not ever. Guitars go out of tune because they aren't set up well, typically because of friction at the contact points.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  10. Fiesta Red Tele

Fiesta Red Tele TDPRI Member

I simply like that headstock picture with the '70's TELECASTER logo

11. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Vintage style split shafts are my favorite. What I like even better though is the Fender classic gear tuners that work with the 10mm holes and the two pin system so you don't need the little screws.

12. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Yes like them, makes string changing a breeze.

13. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

If the tuners are a deal breaker and you come across any super great deals that you pass on because of the tuners please send me message about it I’ll be happy to pay a finders fee if I get it. Knowing what you like and sticking to it is a blessing

14. fretknot

fretknot TDPRI Member

Ditto on the split shaft - definitely my number one choice. I did a build with a set of staggered, vintage split shaft, so no string trees. Clean and reliable.

15. Prairiecaster

Prairiecaster TDPRI Member

Ok, so Chris what's your rule of thumb for how much to cut, how long to keep the string past the post. Go past two more tuners and cut? Thx.

16. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

Yes split shafts! I needed to do a little fretwork and swap some pickup covers in one of my strats the other day. It had good strings on it though so I dreaded having to put new ones on it already. No worries! I had forgot how easily those old timers were to work with. Just loosened them all and popped them out of the tuner shaft, popped the neck off. Did what I needed to do on the neck, swapped covers, neck goes back on and the strings slip right back into their slots in the tuners just right! Love them.

17. mojodelic

mojodelic TDPRI Member

Leo got so many things right the first time- this is just one. I have locking tuners on other guitars but still prefer vintage.

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Fender is selling split shaft tuners that are a direct replacement for the modern style string through that most Fenders come with these days. No bushing required, just drop them in and tighten them down.

19. cpk313

cpk313 TDPRI Member

Yes and Yes! My telecaster and strat both have split shafts. I think they are the perfect tuner and I'd take them over locking every time. Most locking tuners are pretty heavy and if you have a light bodied guitar or one that has some neck dive potential adding locking tuners might push it over the edge. Splits are pretty light. I considered swapping out the solid shaft for splits on my SG but couldn't find 3x3 that look right for it. bummer.

20. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    Yeah, I "upgraded" a lot of my old guitars' tuners and pickups for the "better"...GLADLY I saved the old stuff AND took it with me over the years and decided I'd use them when I got into kits to make them look more authentic to vintage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.