In praise of the "new" Guild.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by TeleTex82, Nov 9, 2018.

1. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I got s chance to play two of the "new" revamped Guilds this week. I know they've been out for a while but this is the first time I got to put my hands on some.

One was a lower end Dread, sitka top, hog body, and one of the American made 000's that was mahogany body and top I beleive. BOTH guitars were an absolute dream to play, just very easy and comfortable. The sound was HUGE. The 000 was almost as loud as a D18 that was also in the shop and the dread was rich and booming and warm.

Fit and finish were pretty much perfect on both guitars. What was crazy to me was the dread was said to have scalloped x bracing and it was listed at $399??? Really impressed with both guitars. My old Takamine is about ready to be retired and I'm thinking hard about a Guild.

Anyone own some of the new ones? What's been your experience?

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

My main guitar is a '76 D-35 from Westerly. The best place I've found to ask questions about Guilds is www.letstalkguild.com. A friendly and knowledgeable site - just like TDPRI!

TeleTex82 and smartsoul72 like this.
  3. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

I bought a Chinese D150 Guild second hand this summer and I love it. All solid- spruce top, rosewood back and sides. Really sparkly bright, but not in a Taylor type way. Great tonal contrast with my Martin D15, but big and boomy like a dread should be. Got it in open D for blood on the tracks Dylan vibes.

Jakedog and TeleTex82 like this.
  4. TeleTex82

Yes! To me they sounded somewhere between a Martin and a Taylor. I really like Martins but I feel like you dont get a whole lot of bang for your buck in the sub $2000 range. Talking new models. To me, for the price, the combination of specs and appointments on these Guilds is pretty tough to beat.

5. Charlie Bernstein

Guilds are the Teles of folk guitars: more twang and bite than a Martin, more warmth and expression than a Taylor - more like a good Gibson, but more consistent in quality and more user-friendly.

LondonLefty and TeleTex82 like this.
  6. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

I have a D-55 Bluegrass Special. LOUD ! Love it very clear tones.

TeleTex82 and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Played an old Westerly D-55 at a used instrument shop last week. To kill for.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  8. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

The D-55 remains hands down the loudest acoustic I have ever gotten my hands on. While you hear folks refer to this or that guitar as a "cannon" they are all just pretenders to the throne when compared to at least a Westerly D-55.

dustoff and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  9. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I have a soft spot for Guilds. In the 1960s they occupied that sweet spot in price between a Harmony Sovereign and a Martin D-18 or Gibson J-45.

I finally got to play a new one yesterday - a D40. Seemed like a lot of guitar for the money. But as I need a another guitar like I need a second wife I passed. My wife, however, did buy a Schmidt Autoharp.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  10. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

They'll out power a Gibson J-200. Found that out a few years ago at Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville.

I'd have to dig around online to see if he still works there, but Guild hired Ren Ferguson away from Gibson Montana about the time they moved to CA. Ren was the mastermind behind Gibson's acoustic guitar revival, and head of their Montana factory.

11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I think Ren is long gone. I believe he was actually hired by Fender, who either owned or distributed Guild at the time.

I’m not sure where he ended up though.

Cheers,
    Geoff

12. TeleTex82

I think Ren is running Shadow guitars.

13. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Guild’s Newark Street electric guitars are great bang for the buck, too. They get good reviews from the crew at the ‘Lets Talk Guild’ forum.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  14. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I'm a big Guild fan! I have a 1972 D-35 and a GAD-25. The GAD is Chinese built, and while the two guitars are quite different (spruce/mahogany vs. all mahogany), I like the sound of the GAD better. It's build quality is right up there with its American siblings. The new Westerly series imported Guilds are amazing values!

15. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

TeleTex82....cool.

I'm elated to see a discussion about the new Guild acoustics.
    I'd read (correct me if I'm in err) that some years ago they were having some significant quality issues for a few years.
    Your comments are good to hear.

No...I don't have a new one but the acoustic in my avatar is a 1973 Guild D40 Sunburst that I purchased for 300$ in 1978.

My experience/subjective opinion when I compared playing my (3) options while at the music store:
    Martin D35 - sorry, too dull/subdued over all the frequencies. Probably a great axe for bluegrass genre.
    Gibson J200 - sorry, didn't care for the jangling, tinny sound especially on the high end.
    Guild D40 - I played that dude and the frequencies overall had far more presence (loudness :)), clarity of each string and more vibrant.
    I just spent some bucks last summer on a fret job which was long overdue.
    Plays beautifully and now easier on my damned arthritic fingers.
    My luthier states confidently it's got some fair worth....but, I don't have clue....I'm keeping it.

Anyway....let us know which one you get as soon as you arrive home. :)

Back to it.....

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a Bluesbird at a great price to scratch the Les Paul itch. It does that very nicely. I’d like to add a couple more Guilds to the stable.

17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I love my late '70's Guild D-40C. Warm, fat, and loud as hell. The chunky neck isn't the easiest to play but I think it contributes to the sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.