In praise of the Blues Junior - the not so popular country amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pgrace245, Jan 5, 2011.

1. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

So last night I went to my local Guitar Center to score on a TS9 Tubescreamer for $54. When I walk into the store I am immediately face to face with the cutest little brown two-tone tolex Blues Jr. amp. I reached for a 52RI and took that little amp for a test drive and was surpised at the good clean country twang I was getting out of that little tube amp. It was on clearance for $399 and needless to say I walked out with the pedal and a nice tube amp.

I sold my Deluxe Reverb last summer because it was way too much amp for in house playing and was in the market for a small tube amp. When researching the BJ 90% of the feedback was to avoid it and it wasnt a good country amp so that was my thinking until I plugged it in. It really nails the Luther Perkins sound and modern country (Paisley/Danny Groah) IMO. So if you're looking for a nice small Fenderish tube amp for country twang don't be afraid to try the Blues Junior.

2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I agree completely! Dialed in with a clean tone, and avoiding the boost switch, the BJr can be a nice country amp. Especially with an upgraded speaker... Highly recommended.

3. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I don't know why the blues jr gets a bad rap sometimes. I love those little buggers.

Maybe not enough clean headroom for country with a loud band, but the deluxe doesn't have that much more.

4. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

What speakers do country pickers put in a Blues Junior?

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I had one several years ago. I actually thought it got a great country tone at low volumes. It had to go though. Didn't have nearly enough power to gig, or even rehearse with. Not even close. Clean sounds went totally out the window at gig volumes, it was not useable. Shame too, it sounded fabulous at low volumes with the clean dialed in. Great little living room practice amp.

6. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Tele-Meister

I gotta disagree a little.

I have a Tweed NOS that I use regularly for small blues gigs. I play a clean style, not blues-rock distortion style. I've used it with and without the boost switch turned on.

If the band is playing at a mild volume, it'll do alright unmic'd...but keep it toward the front of the bandstand, not buried in a backline. For a louder band, I agree you will need a bigger amp.

They're great amps and I've used mine on a lot of gigs. It's not the "best" tone ever, but it's proven to be very useful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.