In praise of Rio Grande strat pickups

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by archtop_fjk, Mar 1, 2019.

1. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I recently completed building a new strat partscaster, with a MIM sunburst body and 70s style (big headstock) maple neck. I wanted to have a beefy bridge pickup and originally tried an HSS configuration (which the body can accommodate) with Fender Texas Specials and a Fender atomic humbucker. The humbucker sounded fine but was too different from the single coils, even when split.

So, I decided to start over with a new pickguard. I had heard a lot of good things about Rio Grande pickups and so sprung for a set which contained Vintage Tallboys for neck and middle and a Halfbreed for the bridge. Wow! Great tone and a very even string balance. Ultimately, though, I wanted a little more beef in the bridge and so decided to go all out and try a Rio grande Stelly for the bridge. That's it!! Perfect hotrod bridge pickup! To me it has the tone of strat bridge pickup with the added power and mids of a P-90. And it matches well with the Tallboys, which have enough output on their own in the neck and middle positions to balance with the Stelly. I'm a happy camper. :)

Strat-Rio-Grande.JPG

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

i too am a big fan of rio grande. I have a tall boy in a strat I haven't changed since 2000 (which is sayin' a lot cause I constantly try dif things). Haven't tried the others you mentioned so will have to give one or the other a shot at some point. w/o a doubt quality pickups.

archtop_fjk likes this.
  3. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a muy Grande set in my tele partscaster. Sound great through a couple of SS Marshalls

archtop_fjk likes this.
  4. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I have a Rio Grande Dirty Harry in the neck position of my homemade tele in my profile photo. I really like it. On the site, they say it's a lot like the sound of a P90. I'm not sure, since I've never played a guitar with P90s for any appreciable amount of time, but that's okay.

archtop_fjk likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a Stelly in a CS Strat I used To have.
    Great pickups!
    My avatar guitar gas a RG Muy Grande in the bridge.

archtop_fjk likes this.
  6. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I thought about a Muy Grande for the bridge but saw the Stelly and thought what the heck. Interestingly, it’s a hot pickup that doesn’t sound hot (ie mid heavy and no top end). Really well voiced. BTW I didn’t want staggered pole pieces (like a Fender classic pickup) and the Rio Grande strat lineup had uniform magnets.

Next I want to make a single pickup guitar with a Muy Grande humbucker in the bridge...ooh I can feel the heat already! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.