1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In Praise of Martin Guitars Warranty Dept

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by joealso, Oct 28, 2020.

1. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I purchased a new Martin acoustic from Mars Music in late 2002 as they were closing their doors for good. In fact, I believe I may have been their very last customer at that location. I got a great deal on the guitar but I never registered it with Martin.

Recently, the binding began coming loose and I contacted a local authorized Martin repair shop. They said it should be covered under warranty and they advised me to call Martin to register the purchase. So I called Martin with every expectation that they'd laugh at me but to my surprise they were eager to help.

Bottom line, Martin allowed me to register the purchase 18 years later and they authorized the warranty repair. As an aside, since Mars went bankrupt, there's a decent chance that Mars never even paid Martin for the guitar in the first place. Thank you Martin Warranty Department.

Torren61, 8barlouie, jman72 and 6 others like this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I like stories that end well.
    Did you have your original purchase receipt or did they just take you at your word?

3. joealso

I did have the original paperwork but they never asked for proof that I was who I said I was. That certainly made it easier for me but the rep at Martin also indicated that they have accepted other claims from owners with far less documentation. I was just surprised that they were so pleasant to work with and that they wanted to find a way to accommodate me rather than trying to find a way not to.

985plowboy, tubegeek and Treehouse like this.
  4. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Good to hear it. I have wanted a Martin my whole life and I think I'm getting close to owning one now.

I had a great experience with my Taylor warranty about 10 years ago. I bought my Taylor in the mid 1980's, but never registered it, and the receipt is long gone. It needed a neck reset, so I brought it to a Taylor dealer expecting to pay out of pocket for the repair. The dealer graciously handled the correspondence with Taylor. They asked where I bought it and about when. I had gotten it at a favorite local music store which went out of business in the early 1990's, but I guess my answers matched Taylor's records and they did the neck reset under warranty for free.

Often, all you hear about is when companies screw their customers over, so its refreshing and nice when a company treats their customer like a valued partner.

joealso likes this.
  5. joealso

Indeed. And these companies seem to understand that guitarists like to buy more guitars!

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The dealer tells the company - you completing the registration card is just bonus data for them :D Glad it all worked out!

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I've had mixed dealings with Martin warranty. I purchased a new, 00028 a number of years ago. Within about a year, the finish started coming off the heel. I could literally scrape it off with my thumb nail. I took it to an authorized Martin dealer and repair centre and they took photos of it and sent them to Martin. Martin asked the store to send it in for warranty repair. The people at the store I took it to (not the store where I bought it) advised me to go back to the store where I bought it, and ask for a loaner as it would be a year before I'd get it back. A year!!! I did as instructed, and managed to snag a gorgeous OM28 Marquis.

Fast forward to today, the OM28 Marquis that I picked up in 2014 also has a finish issue, "orange peel", is what I was told it is referred to. It's when a contaminant gets on the surface of the wood, and it usually takes a while to reveal itself. The finish in the affected area becomes textured, like orange peel. It's only visible at certain angels with the right light.

It's in two places on the guitar: on the right side of the sound board, opposite the neck, right next to the top of the side. It's about the size of an egg yolk. The other is a strip, about 1.5 inches long and half an inch wide, on the left side, right next to the binding. I'm left with a choice: send it in, and be out the guitar for a year, or live with it. The guy at the store that does the warranty repair, who assessed it, told me to live with it. I called Martin about it and the guy I spoke to said he doubted that Martin probably wouldn't warranty it! I'm yet to call back to see what to do about it because I don't want to be without it for a year, and it's been too many years since I bought it for the store to consider giving me a loaner of equal quality.

8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Good result there

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.