In Praise of Inexpensive Gear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tweeddeluxe, Aug 4, 2011.

1. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I bought an Epiphone 57 Les Paul Gold Top about a year ago....totally gig worthy right out the box (with a bit of tweaking).
    I've also pulled apart my Rondo STL-50 a bunch of times for random home custom jobs and learned plenty about what to do....and what not to....

2. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

+1

3. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

used agile off ebay $150...
    pathfinder $119...
    its all i can afford nowadays!!
    the only thing expensive i want is a laney lionheart amp...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Waitaminnit now. Hold on there. Just a moment!!

IKEA sells a pedalboard?? :eek:

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't put down inexpensive gear, I am just not inclined as some do to say it's better, if an instrument is good, it's good no matter what the price. I don't want to be the kind of snob that says only the most expensive suits him, or being one who insists cheaper is better. I don't really want to overhaul a guitar to play it, if the frets are decent and the pickups decent, well, then it's all good.

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

A Squier Standard Telecaster and a Roland Cube 60 is a beautiful thing. :cool:

7. McFly

McFly Tele-Meister

well

1) Trial and Error Partscaster, 6 necks in ,and we're getting somewhere

2) Bad monkey

3) 78 Deluxe Reverb

4) Weber 12f150

It's not 'super cheap' but sounds very 'boutique.'

8. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

I've owned cheap and expensive. I wouldn't go out of my way to praise cheap since I'm not rich :p (I think you have to be a havenot actually to want the good stuff).

I'd rather have one great guitar than a bunch of cheap stuff I can say "NGD!" about every 3 days.

9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

It's called the Flyggstomp.

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

TweedDeluxe,

Funny you mention this topic, because the first thing that comes to my mind is the same two guitars you mentioned:

Squier '51 and Squier Bullet Strat.

The '51 has a unique sound and look and an absolutely great neck.

The Squier Bullet Strat--mine's a 2007 hardtail--just floored me. I'd gone to the store to buy a second Squier '51 but tried the Strat and couldn't put it down. It totally held its own against some Custom Shop models played through a Limited Edition '59 Bassman and an original 60's Fender Super Reverb. On mine, the fretboard and fretwork are great.

The '51 and the Bullet Strat were $70 each.

Totally turned my head around regarding cheap guitars.

11. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Just Google it, you'll see what I mean. Assembly required and byo Power supply

12. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

I have to agree with SamClemons on this. I'm all for snagging a good/great deal on a piece, finding mislabeled pricing on things at GC and walking away feeling like a thief, pawnshop or garage sale prizes. And yes I do believe we are living in a golden age of sorts concerning our beloved gear.
    But I have yet to put my hands on and play an acoustic in the sub $3000 range that can even begin to rival my James Goodalls. There are definitely some truly amazing acoustics below $500. They are what they are and some are exceptionally fine instruments, but they are NOT on par with my James Goodall instruments, which I have a particular affection for. They're just not no way no how. Are the JGs worth the extra thousands? Yes, to me they are without hesitation.
    And SamClemons is spot on about the endless postings of these wonderfully cheap guitars... "but I just gotta put in new pups, an ashtray bridge, angled bell brass 3 piece saddles, swap out to a preferred pickgaurd, 4-way mod, new nut, a better set of tuning keys, and finally have my tech guy do a nice fret job and complete setup on it"! This kind of project dumps way more $$ into an instrument and will never return that $$. Sam's $500 American Deluxes will give him what he sought out, bought right, and will hold their value if not slowly appreciate over time.
    I feel somewhat the same regarding amps, but I'll save that for another time. -JG

thousands

13. Retropicker

Retropicker Tele-Meister

I do like cheap instrument but I don't think it carries over as well into acoustic instruments. We have a Luna which is the out-of-the-case daily, at the moment player but when the Guilds or Seagull Artist come out of the case it's a whole new game.

But we have a cheap mando, fiddle, guitar, bass,amps, etc or we'd have none at all.

14. Retropicker

Retropicker Tele-Meister

Our first good guitar was a solid rosewood Seagull Artist Studio that we found used and traded up 3 cheapo guitars plus a few $. One of the best moves I ever made.

It made me a better player because you cant hide behind it.

15. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Agree, but 'great' need not be 'expensive'.
    I'd say that the more you pay, the more you should be able to expect it to be some kind of 'great' .

The suit that fits looks best. Regardless of ticket detail.

I suspect that a lot of the 'hey my 100 bill guitar is as good as a CS' posts are down to NGD enthusiasm - we have all been there ;) - and also based on enthusiasm for the new guitar.

In 1, 3, 10 years, what shape will it be in? Will it be stock?

A CS would very likely be holding up well, and would likely have provided no real urgent need to swap parts out.

I have posted many times that my CV50 was not looking too clever after only two years of regular, non-abusive usage. Developed a fair few issues. I wont labour the point - it is a generally unpopular one !
    It was a superb guitar for the money when I first got it.

16. bek

bek Tele-Holic

That's me, precisely. Whatever works (preferably cheap), the rest is always you. The guitar I'm always thinking about selling is the beautiful Hamer; I'm always thinking I'm going to gouge it up.

17. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Tele-Meister

Type 'DIY PVC multiple guitar stand' into the search engine of your choice if you want to make a good cheap multiple stand. They're real easy to build.

18. bek

bek Tele-Holic

I have a hardtail Squier Bullet Strat (which I won in a raffle!), and I really was surprised at it. At first all I did was put in a Deaf-Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch, and when I had my tech check it out, he was amazed at how good it was. I grew to love the neck, even though it's not what I usually prefer. Eventually I put in an SSH extremely low-output pickup set from VintageVibe with a SuperSwitch Eddie set up for me, with neck and bridge tone knobs and master volume. It's really remarkable; versatile and powerful. It's my main guitar now, along with an MIK Epi Dot (also with VintageVibe pickups and Deaf-Eddie's electronic magic -- I guess I'm forming a pattern, here!). Really great stuff, and I actually rarely play my much more expensive, "better" guitars.

19. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

And in your other post you say you're worried you'll gouge your "better" guitar up, so it rarely gets played:

Maybe if you stopped worrying about hurting your Hamer and played it as your go-to guitar, you'd be very pleasantly surprised.

I too used to coddle my more expensive guitars but no more. I play my favorite guitars, the ones I saved up for. They're meant to be played!

20. bek

bek Tele-Holic

I know, it's probably all true, but I have played the Hamer quite a bit. It was my go-to guitar the only times I played out. I still worry about scratching it, and I just pick up the other guitars by reflex. They're so good, I don't miss playing the Hamer, and just don't do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.