In praise of Hipshot Products...

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by StrangerNY, Nov 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a Hipshot bender on one of my Partscasters (B and G benders and a drop D lever), and I discovered over time that while I wrestled with working the B lever (that has a long steel rod that you work by pressing it against your hip), using the palm lever for the G string was much more natural and easy for me to use.

So a couple of weeks ago I sent an email asking Hipshot whether they could change the hip lever to a second palm lever if I sent it back. I was contacted by a rep named Oscar Yuan, who said all I'd need to do is send it back and they'd change over the B lever for me - at no charge! I got an invoice for the work the other day and the amount due was $0.00.

In a time where just about any mod or change to a piece of gear comes with a price tag, I was surprised and extremely pleased that they would take the time to do the work and not even charge me return shipping on the bender. It's being delivered today and I can't wait to get it back on the guitar.

I just wanted to give credit where due. Many, many thanks to Hipshot for doing the work for me. Very satisfied customer here.

2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have a couple sets of their open back locking gears. I like 'em just fine.

brookdalebill and StrangerNY like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

@StrangerNY - good to hear this.

Same thing w/ the guy from Bridge Doctor.
    He answered the phone at the number on the box and was cool w/ clearing up my QQQs about installation on a less common x-braced guitar.

Peace -Deeve

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

152111F1-9C6B-4128-B4A9-0554CE44C7D6.jpeg 71EC7089-4F57-47A0-BD25-B3840DE23CC2.jpeg B3E77D28-FA19-49D0-B2C3-364574CDEF1B.jpeg I’m a long time proselytizer!
    I bought my first B bender in 1983.
    Both of my T styles have Will Ray model B Benders.
    Both of my Kestrel basses have Hipshot bridges and tuners.
    Here they are.

5. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

And let's not forget the Hipshot Trilogy--if you use multiple tunings, don't leave to the gig without it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. StrangerNY

It came in about a half hour ago, got it back on the guitar...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta dial it in again. Then I can really put it to work.

- D

brookdalebill and BB like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have never needed to contact them - every piece of hardware I have bought from them - several sets of tuners, a tele bridge, two Benders, and probably other stuff I can't remember - has been a flawless, perfectly machined precision part that worked and fit exactly as advertised. I kind of wish they made more vintage-looking stuff, but that's not their MO I guess and there is plenty of competition there.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

2 Headed Goat and StrangerNY like this.
  8. StrangerNY

Same here - the bender itself worked great right out of the box. I just couldn't get used to the hip lever. The two palm pedal setup makes a lot more sense for me.

- D

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Hipshot bridge for a Cabronita a while back. Great quality and well made. Quite heavy tho.

I never got around to fitting it as I stopped reading Internet reviews/gripes and just played the Cab instead. We live and learn.

Flaneur and StrangerNY like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Early on, in the 80’s I contacted David B at Hipshot with questions and requests for spare parts.
    He was very helpful.
    Great company, IMO.

2 Headed Goat and StrangerNY like this.
  11. unbridled

unbridled Tele-Holic

Love my Hipshot.

12. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

I think it's great when companies do this. I've had some great customer service stories over the years. All too often we only here the complaints.

My Hipshot was my second non-installed B-Bender. My first one was a Bowden Bender. I loved the Hipshot, but eventually sold it. I found myself constantly engaging it by accident as I walked around stage. I finally had an "official" B-Bender installed and love it. But if it hadn't been for that Hipshot and Bowden benders, I would have never tried and fallen in love with a Bender. Of course, now I'm completely addicted!

13. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

I’ve got Hipshot tuners on my SX bass. They’re nice.
    19DAD081-A35E-4063-99CA-15A04AA6FA01.jpeg 09BCB554-8F24-43B9-BB4E-A60B1A928897.jpeg

14. DumpWeed

DumpWeed TDPRI Member

I literally joined the forum this morning trying to find info about Hipshot and whether anyone had luck getting a bender with double palm benders instead of the drop D — which I could not find as an option. I emailed them during the week but with the holidays had not heard back yet.

My other question was if single levers to add to an existing bender are sold. I found a couple online places but it didn’t appear that any of those places actually had any in stock.

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.