1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In praise of Catalinbread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by CaineIsCarter, Aug 18, 2019.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

As a pedal noob I didn’t understand the concept of a foundation overdrive, and ‘amp in a box’. But I’m glad I found out. Dirty Little Secret, especially in Super Bass mode, really does sound like an old Marshall. At lower gain I’m getting the sweetest chime with LP into clean Blues Jr Tweed, right up to authentic roar at higher settings.

This is my second Catalinbread pedal; I use an SFT as the foundation drive for single coil. I think it’s based on an Ampeg, which I’ve never heard, but it captures a 70s Stones vibe. I’m really impressed with both pedals. There’s structure in amongst the dirt.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Big CB fan here. I ditched all of my traditional dirt/OD pedals for amp foundation pedals a few years ago. I use the 5F6 and FN5 into my clean Fenderish amps with great success. I have whittled down to just one more foundation pedal, but it is not a CB.

I also have the incredible Belle Epoch, but I have decided that I am not a "delay" player, so I am going to sell it, but it is an amazing pedal too.

I still consider the SFT. It also suppose to be great for bass players.

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Great pedals, but the company is a shadow of its former self. The founder died, his Mom inherited the company and all the designers are gone. Howard Gee used to post these deep-dive videos into what the pedals can do, but he's gone. Not sure there's anyone left to pick up the mantel.

I have several CB pedals I'm very happy with... the Belle Epoch, Echorec, Adineko and a Manx Loughtan.

4. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Super Bass mode is awesome!!!!! The SL channel is nice, but a little too high gain for me!! Telecaster into fuzz into Super Bass mode sounds very vintage.

5. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

Let’s not forget that good old mom is suing some of the former employees- Howard being a main one.

I jumped on the Catalinbread train early on. I really connected with their pedals. That said I’d never buy another again after the fiasco that occurred after Nic died and his mom took over.

Scott57 likes this.
  6. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I will buy used so my money does not fund the lawsuit against Howard!!!!!

Shnook and Obsessed like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Sounds like a good plan, plus who knows what the assembly quality of a new one is today. I feel bad for Howard Gee. A victim of unforeseen circumstances.

Shnook likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly. I have two: a DLS and a 5F6, both purchased around 2012. I would buy the Belle Epoch if i knew they were the same components and had the same construction as before the departure of Gee et al.

9. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I love my Adineko delay and Katzenkonig ditortion/fuzz. CB is a great company.

10. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Anyone have the RAH?

I have long been tempted but feel liek unless you can play liek Jimmy (or Howard) in the demo it may as well just be driven based sound....

But keep hoping im wrong, just cant pull the pin as they are bloody expensive down here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.