In praise of a 70s Thinline

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
Just a Squier, but I've decided this is the most 'me' guitar I've ever had.

I've been thru loads of guitars over the years and I currently have 15 or so, but until very recently I never pushed the button on any wide range humbucker type Fenders. They always had a sort of bodged, slapped together and ugly look to them I thought. The lines of the instruments just didn't seem right aesthetically the way other electric guitars did.

But I started noticing how much I like Tab Benoit's sound, plus I found several YouTube demos that made me start to want a 70s Tele Thinline. I know the modern pickups aren't the same as the originals, but the demos seemed to have a sound I liked for some reason.
So last month I got a Squier 70s tele thinline from Thomann. I've been playing it a lot and every day I seem to be gelling with it more....and I'm starting to REALLY like the look of it. It's also light and very comfortable to play.
I appreciate and enjoy my other guitars, but this thing has a sound and response, in all 3 positions, that seems more right than any of them, and that goes for whatever it is I'm playing. I'm kind of wishing now that I'd have considered using one of these in my gigging days.

20211211_130655.jpg

msalama

Tele-Holic
Man, but that's the thing really. I've owned several pre-70's vintage Fenders and Gibsons myself & was also a semi-pro muso back in the day (albums, commercials, a cr*pload of gigs, what have ya) - and yet the best, the absolute BEST, guitar I've ever played and/or owned, is the '76 Tele Custom in my avatar I still luckily have (well yeah, the Lester in there is just as good, but never mind that for now).

So the point is? Well the effin' point is that some of those 70's "abominable" designs were actually f**king brilliant. Am just looking for a sturdy modern substitution for that said Custom in my avatar now, myself... and all those 50's & 60's weenie cork sniffers can go sniff sewers for all I care :D

Last edited:

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
When people disparage the cbs years, I say thin line. Brilliant instruments. I keep going to buy one and end up with something else, but that just means mine hasn’t been made yet.

Reactions: TG

stormin1155

Tele-Holic
Yeah, I love my Squier '72 Thinline! People diss the pickups because they aren't "real" WRHBs... I don't care. They sound great! They are articulate, clear, they retain some of the Fender spank, but can growl when you want.

Oh, you mentioned Tab Benoit's tone... here's a sample so others know what we're talking about... Signal chain.... fingers>guitar>cable>amp.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

I've been thru loads of guitars over the years and I currently have 15 or so, but until very recently I never pushed the button on any wide range humbucker type Fenders. They always had a sort of bodged, slapped together and ugly look to them I thought. The lines of the instruments just didn't seem right aesthetically the way other electric guitars did.

But I started noticing how much I like Tab Benoit's sound, plus I found several YouTube demos that made me start to want a 70s Tele Thinline. I know the modern pickups aren't the same as the originals, but the demos seemed to have a sound I liked for some reason.
So last month I got a Squier 70s tele thinline from Thomann. I've been playing it a lot and every day I seem to be gelling with it more....and I'm starting to REALLY like the look of it. It's also light and very comfortable to play.
I appreciate and enjoy my other guitars, but this thing has a sound and response, in all 3 positions, that seems more right than any of them, and that goes for whatever it is I'm playing. I'm kind of wishing now that I'd have considered using one of these in my gigging days.

View attachment 935254
Very cool!
I just got ( November) a Squier '69 Tele Thinline ( now called '60's') and absolutely love it. Ready to gig right out of the box, too ( really)

20211124_132839.jpg

I got the '69 vs. the '72 Thinline mainly because of the single coil pickups, as this guitar is going to replace my 2004 Standard Tele which is just too heavy- and I play sitting down! My Thinline is 6lbs. 3oz.- wow!
Have fun with the Thinline!

Edit- that line is just from the flash

rickthescot

Tele-Afflicted
Back in the late 70's I had my first guitar lesson with John Grunder who became a close friend. He played a Tele deluxe with dual humbuckers. I still have the recording and his tone was to this day one of the most desirable I've ever heard. No pedals, just that Tele through a Twin.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

View attachment 935254
Con-Grats I just got a 70"s Thin Line as well and I love it. They do not sound like regular humbuckers, more like P90's without the hum. I like the sound and feel of the entire guitar. It has quickly moved to number two behind my 60's Thinline with Gen 4 noiseless. The new wide range pup seems to get a lot of criticism and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's an image issue.

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
Con-Grats I just got a 70"s Thin Line as well and I love it. They do not sound like regular humbuckers, more like P90's without the hum. I like the sound and feel of the entire guitar. It has quickly moved to number two behind my 60's Thinline with Gen 4 noiseless. The new wide range pup seems to get a lot of criticism and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's an image issue.

Yes...there is a P90 feel to them, but with more clarity, I think.

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
I put a set of mojotone WR humbuckers in mine. I wish the neck was a tad thicker is my only complaint. thumbnail (1).jpg

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I've come so close to buying one of those lately. The only thing that stopped me a couple of times when I was ready to pull the trigger was finding the burst finish. They seem to fly off the shelf here once there in stock.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
I happened into a Squier CV ‘70s Thinline and was quite surprised. It holds its own with guitars that cost a lot more. So far, I haven’t weighed it, but I’d say 6 pounds and change sounds about right. Mostly, I play Gretsch, but I’ve owned a Tele since the early ‘90s and feel that they are a great counterpart to Gretsch guitars. I was so impressed by this Squier Thinline that I recently ordered a new old stock 2017 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Thinline, which has more conventional pickups.