1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In need of a Tele wiring guru!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jim_pridx, Dec 4, 2017.

1. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Hey all! I'm hoping to rewire a partscaster Tele that I put together several years ago, but I'm unable to find a diagram that closely resembles one that I'm looking for. I would think that it should be relatively easy, but I just don't know this stuff well enough to pull it off. At any rate, it's pretty much like this:

Standard 2-pickup Tele with 4-way blade switch, "two" volume controls and one master tone control.

Position 1: Bridge pickup only
    Position 2: Bridge & neck pickup in parallel
    Position 3: Neck pickup only
    Position 4: Bridge & neck pickup in series

Of course, adding the extra volume control is where I'm getting thrown off, but since I have this in a 3-way configuration in another Tele, I thought I'd try it with a 4-way on this one. If it helps, here's a blank layout diagram of what I'm looking for:

[​IMG]

Some help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

2. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

There is a Hamer 2 vol, 1 tone diagram somewhere online I've seen that will get you most of the way there.

Basically wire hangs off the output jack I think so can trim highs for any selection.

3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It might be easier to use a push pull pot for the series / parallel switching, a regular three way switch, and wire the volumes before the switch and the tone after.

danlad likes this.
  4. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Was about to say, you'd have to have your volumes before the switch, like the Hamer, but beaten!

Then take the outputs from the two vols and treat as the wires from the pickups to the 4 way switch. The switch output then goes to the tone & output jack.

5. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that gets close. The PRS DGT and a few Flying V diagrams get pretty close as well. I'm just having a tough time wrapping my head around the wiring of a 4-way blade switch. The 3-way is pretty straight-forward.

That's certainly an idea I haven't thought of. Do you think it's even possible with a 4-way switch?

6. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Ahhh......ok. Gotcha! I'd just have to figure out how it tunnels it's way through the 4-way. I just don't work with this kind of thing often enough to have a clear understanding of it, but I can likely figure it out.

danlad likes this.
  7. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Now am trying to find which 4 way diagram I used when doing mine (tho mine was the boring conventional way..!) But basically yep, you are removing the master vol from after the switch, and instead having two vols feeding into it

(Edit - pretty sure I just used the Seymour Duncan one for 4 way switch)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    jim_pridx likes this.
  8. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I'll give this a try tonight and see where I get with it.

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    jim_pridx likes this.
  10. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Ha! I was hoping that someone might connect the dots! That's perfect! Thanks!

11. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

One question: Will I need to bother with hooking up a third wire on the neck pickup?

12. waparker4

Yes, any schematic with the pickups in series requires this.

BTW I had to edit your switch, you provided a picture of a 3-way. :p Make sure you know what are the common terminals and what are 1,2,3,4 (1 is bridge, 4 is neck)

13. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I noticed that you edited the switch. Thanks! And, thanks for the wiring diagram! It's very helpful and appreciated!

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Thanks for the awesome artwork on that schematic. Can you make a version that includes the third wire from the neck pickup (the cover ground) and shows where it should go for series in pos 4?
    Also I am confused (not hard to do) By the differences in which pot lugs go to where between your drawing and the Hamer schematic posted above - in your version, are both volumes like a master volume in positions 2 or 4 (as the Hamer set-up is with the 3-way toggle centered) or do they retain independence meaning you can tailor the amount of volume from either pickup in positions 2 and 4?

And for Jim_pridx, the OP, what is the main benefit you hope to derive from the two volume configuration? Blending volumes in positions 2 and 4 as I questioned above, or having different "preset" volumes in positions 1 and 3 so you quickly can switch rhythm/lead or some such without touching the volume knobs?

Thanks to you both - this is very interesting.
    Rex

15. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I'm in the same boat in terms of drawing up schematics. I have no problems soldering up a guitar by following a schematic, but my skills are very limited when it comes to knowing where all of the wires are supposed to go.....LOL.

Regarding your question on having two volume controls, my goal with this particular guitar is to essentially have sort of a Gibson-style wiring scheme where I can independently blend the volumes of each pickup to taste. Of course, it's a little fussier to be messing around with another knob while on a gig, but sometimes I like to dial the neck pickup back just a bit when soloing when both pickups are engaged. Having "different preset" volumes for each pickup is just an added bonus.

I also have a similar setup in another Tele, but since it has a 3-way switch, I'm unable to have the 4th position. On yet another Tele where I do have the 4th position (standard volume & tone), I find that I'd like to have the capability of dialing back the neck pickup back so that the series configuration becomes a little less muddy. I would suppose it's safe to say that I'd ideally like to have all of the above features in a single guitar but, then again, it's also just an experiment that I'd like to try. If it becomes a bit too cumbersome, I'll probably just settle with the 3-way configuration and be done with it. Hopefully that makes some sense.

Rex, I just noticed that you're in Tucson. We get down that way at least once a year......sometimes twice a year. We're also looking at spending our winters in AZ in the very near future. We love it there!

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Come on down - we're looking at a high of 70F today. It's lovely.

17. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

And, we're getting some light snow with a temp of 25F......ugh! Needless to say, I'm not much of a winter person. We're looking at coming down sometime in February. BTW, I have a mother-in-law in Green Valley and a daughter and her family in Tempe. I would suppose that Rainbow Music is a frequent stop for you. I've been there a few times.

18. waparker4

I botched this diagram yesterday, sorry to all. Here's a fixed version -

The neck pickup ground is fixed, and changed the red and purple too for anybody keeping track. -_-

4-way-tele-two-volumes.png

19. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Way, way cool! That makes much more sense! Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.