1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In need of a small power supply, what fits Nano+ board?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Dobbin, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

I have Pedaltrain Nano+ that I set up with 6 pedals. I'd like to know which power supplies fit nicely underneath? I have currently an MXR Mini Iso Brick and am using a split to run two of the pedals because it only has five outputs. This power supply is small enough but the plugs seems super loose and when I slide the board around or move it one or more of them often comes just loose enough to cause a problem.

I have on the board and I run all of them at 9 volts for those that allow 9 or 18:
    Earthquaker Devices The Depths
    Wampler Velvet Fuzz
    Boss SD-1w
    Keeley Phase 24
    J Rockett Audio Immortal Echo
    Keeley Verb-O-Trem, the smaller one

I don't mind running two off on one with the split if it can handle it, but i don't want to over draw the supply either.

Thanks all.

2. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

Cioks DC5 fits like a glove.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

CIOKS Eventide has a number of very slim board isolated power supplies.

5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was going to suggest a Strymon Ojai R30. I have one on my small board and it's great. But apparently for a nano you need to add some small feet to lift it enough to fit the power supply adapter. (There's a thread on TheGearPage with photos. )

6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Get a mini tuning pedal like a TC Polytune and use a daisy chain cable. They have a power in and output on these.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use Cioks because theres no extra hardware required, no hacking and lifting, just a couple of well-located screw holes.

The kit comes with a split cable so you can run 6 pedals. There’s plenty of current, and you could split your fuzz and OD and not even come close to over-loading.

E059C49E-AEEB-4675-858D-A672784B1275.jpeg C1391B59-094F-4B44-BE60-2A7D59E833EA.jpeg

Axegrinder77 and Chud like this.
  8. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

That wasn't my question. When I play live my tuning pedal is off-board next to the volume pedal and runs in it's loop. I don't want or need those to be powered by this board's supply. At home we clip-on like most people these days.

Does anyone have a guess at the power draw of the Keeley Phase 24? Its the only one I don't have a spec for. Everything else is comfortable under 100 mA, in fact all but one of the others is under 50 mA draw.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Second vote here for a Cioks DC5.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

doghouseman and BorderRadio like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Lip balm for scale. Supports 12 and 18V also. Less than an inch deep.
    upload_2021-4-11_14-10-33.jpeg

12. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

The CIOKS screws will interfere with your pedal mounting. Just go to Home Depot and buy some dual lock and it won't be going anywhere

13. BorderRadio

The screws have a low-profile head and don’t interfere with mounting. I sold the Nano but I have a couple of other Pedaltrains, and that was never an issue (Cioks on both). While the dual lock works for a lot or things, there is very little clearance with a Nano+ and any spacing between the DC5 and the bottom plate could make the P/S push on the surface the board is set on.

02354929-FF74-4D96-9BAF-DDA7BFE4F287.jpeg 6E7CB55B-71DF-456C-ADCE-B34DA6E4D693.jpeg 195652C1-4DF7-4A22-A822-3048803B4931.jpeg

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I'm using these rechargable power supplies with my two Nano+ and NanoMax boards. They fit perfectly under the frame just using 3M dual lock. They last me weeks between charges and I play at least 90 minutes per day (not all pedals on at once of course), plus you can still use the pedals while it's charging up.

I looked at the Cioks stuff, but seem to recall they have propriety cables? Might be harder to get hold of in a hurry and pretty expensive too, but that's in the UK, so might be cheaper where you are anyway.

Under neath pedal board.jpg

Andertons sell them, but I got two of these metallic pink(!) ones for half the price of the standard black ones. No one sees them, so who cares. I just like that it's one less power cable I have to trail around, especially if I want a quick set up at home when my wife goes out. :)

choops and TwoBear like this.
  15. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Tele-Meister

16. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

Does that one for? The given measurement seems to thick.

17. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

Here's a question: the J Rockett Juice Joint says it's filtered, can I assume this doesn't mean the same as isolated? If it's isolated I could run that with a wall wart I already have.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Bob Keeley doesn't specify the current requirements for it.

The process to apply phase shift to a signal requires very little current compared to most other effects. Phasers generally require somewhere between 70mA and 170mA.

19. BorderRadio

They're not proprietary, but I wouldn't call them as common as the barrel-to-barrel cables. They have a 2.1mm (or other) barrel plug on the delivery side, and a RCA phono plug to the P/S. I could easily make one if push comes to shove, but I've had no problem buying additional cables in the US, and they're not expensive.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

@BorderRadio I meant that the Cioks power supplies are expensive (at least in the UK).

The cables aren't standard, but if you can find them easily I guess it's less of an issue: I like to have a few spares anyway, just incase, so if I'd bought the Cioks power supply I'd have just bought extra ones of their cables.

With the one I've bought I've been able to get extra cables for £3-4 via eBay or Amazon, which saves me making them up as I couldn't make them any cheaper. More chance of being able to find replacements locally in a hurry too, but that's just a matter of planing and keeping spares whatever the type if you're gigging (or hope to be soon :) ).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.