1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In need of a new home office chair-suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Nov 24, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

MUST be Ergonomic
    I'd prefer it look cool, as well. Gaming-chair designs are pretty cool, in my book

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to go someplace and actually sit my butt in one, before buying, if possible

Thanks

Drew617 likes this.
  2. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

My experience only, so grain of salt. I'm 6'3 and 250 pounds at my absolute leanest, so have tended to wear out $100 chairs yearly. I also manage a team of engineers at my day job - so mostly sit in my office. I'm also creeping up on middle age now, and the value of posture and ergonomics is becoming more apparent.

At home I finally quit dicking around with cheap Staples chairs and bought a surplus Aeron, which will probably outlast me. Matches what I've got at work and they're usually around (CL, ebay, liquidators) for a few hundred bucks if you're willing to be patient. I'm too cheap to pay new prices, as my company has.

blowtorch likes this.
  3. blowtorch

yeah I shoulda also mentioned that I am a cheap bastard

4. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

As I frequently tell Mrs. Blrfl, buy it nice or buy it twice.

I bought an brand-new Aeron seven years ago with some upgrades. Cost me $900, but I sit in the thing all day every day and neither my back or butt are unhappy with it. So far, all I've had to put into it are $20 for a set of polyurethane skate wheels (which was entirely optional) and about $25 for a new pair of pivot bolts to replace one that gave out. So far, that puts my chair cost at $135 per year. If I keep it for another three, which I likely will, it's down to $94.50. I can live with that. Surplus chairs can be had for about half that.

Herman Miller has a full service manual that covers how to disassemble and reassemble everything right down to the torque specs on every bolt. The parts that tend to need replacing aren't hard to get and aren't expensive unless it's something major like a seat pan.

If you get an Aeron, make sure to get the right size.

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I got my real deal Aeron chair as a deal but that was still real money. 14 years later there are absolutely no regrets. Consider it. A week ago I saw a business in the Whitney/Mineral Pt. science park had some real Herman Miller chairs for a bargain. In IT the good chair has been as important as shoes that fit when I walk or do sports. Again, consider it.

Once in a while COSTCO has good price in basic Herman Miller or other true quality office chairs.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. blowtorch

Nice, sure. but there's a pricepoint for everything at which you've got very good quality but not high price. i.e.- Squier CV50s.
    And that's what I look for, in everything

unixfish, driver8 and buster poser like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Thrift stores and office liquidation stores. That's where I've bought many office chairs, often for $10 or so.

driver8, Deeve and blowtorch like this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

am attached to my Grandfathers chair, Dispatcher for PRR. This chair is from the Harrisburg PA Tower long time ago. Not even going to refinish it.Its actually comfy, unfortunately have to do a bunch of paperwork everyday. Thats my chair
    upload_2020-11-24_13-7-49.jpeg

9. blowtorch

cool chair for sure. but something like that would not work for a chair that I need to park my butt at least 8 hrs a day in

bftfender likes this.
  10. blowtorch

I mean, I kinda like
    [​IMG]

but yeah no, i don't think so

John Owen, Henley and bftfender like this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Good chair & good pair shoes !!Oh man, back in the office days..sitting 8 hours is a challenge.(Not sure how i even did it) Ended up likening more rigid chair where my feet hit the ground right. Been toting that chair around forever.

blowtorch likes this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I used to work in an office that supplied us with Aeron chairs. I like it so much I plunked out the cash for one. I haven't regretted that decision once. I'm going on 15 years with it and I haven't done a thing to maintain it. It's the Telecaster of office chairs in my book.

Drew617 and blowtorch like this.
  13. blowtorch

as stated, I'm looking for more the Squier CV50s of office/gaming chairs

14. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I'd look for an Aeron knockoff and avoid fabric style chairs.

blowtorch likes this.
  15. Stratdan

Stratdan TDPRI Member

JohnnyJumpUp and blowtorch like this.
  16. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

bought an armless Aeron a couple of months ago, wondering now why I waited so long to do so. Not cheap, except in the long run. found it used online in 100% shape. love this thing. great for playing guitar.

blowtorch likes this.
  17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I want a zero gravity desk, with a place to put my drink on the side. Only $5K.

[​IMG]

18. blowtorch

Of COURSE
    This is a feature I did not know I needed, until now.

Thanks!

Henley likes this.
  19. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Second hand Aerons can be obtained for waaaaay less than the full price, if that helps. Also be aware that they come in three sizes, very important. The Aerons are honestly worth it...I went through so many cheap chairs and stools before I gave in and got one, it's like the studio standard.

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.