In my opinion, Ringo was absolutely brilliant

Chester P Squier

Tele-Afflicted
MADvertising-Blecch_53d6c805b56861.39294198.jpg

Ha! I remember that one. It was on the back cover of that month's Mad Magazine.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
This was the (alleged) reply by John Lennon when it was suggested that Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world:
'He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles.'
It turned out that he said no such thing, it was a joke made by comedian Jasper Carrott in 1983. It would have been typical dry Lennon humour though.
In 1971, in the “Lennon Remembers” Rolling Stone interview he said a lot worse about everyone in the band and the band itself. He recanted a lot of what he said in later years when he was trying to rehabilitate his image.

rarebreed

Tele-Afflicted
I agree whole-heartedly, one other drummer that I always thought that was way under rated was Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones. Both of these guys were not the flashy drum solo type drummers, but both did a helluva job.

James824

TDPRI Member
I agree whole-heartedly, one other drummer that I always thought that was way under rated was Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones. Both of these guys were not the flashy drum solo type drummers, but both did a helluva job.

Charlie Watts - the human metronome. A brilliant drummer.

Curious to see how Keefs gonna fair without Charlie to depend on during the upcoming tour.

Gris

Tele-Meister
Ringo showed up just down the road a few years back. There was a piano. He played and sang great. He was a one man party. Awesome dude.

Alex_C

Tele-Holic
I met Andy Timmons in 2014 at the first G4. We were talking about drummers and he told me Ringo is his all-time favorite drummer. Andy has played with Simon Phillips and many other phenomenal drummers. He knows what he is talking about.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Ringo was able to come up with so many different drum beats because he was a lyrical drummer, the drums were not just a Backbeat for the band, they were another voice. Ringo's drum patterns and licks (guitar speak) worked with the song to enhance the melody.

freshmattyp

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I'll totally agree with the OP @ASATKat about Ringo - only except Ringo's fills on "She Was Just Seventeen" sound a little amateurish, draggy or something.

But, ime, he improved and his idiosyncrasies fit in great - Ringo's OK w/me :)

I'd like to have eavesdropped on Paul + Ringo discussions on how to handle various tunes.

I think if you're going to criticize Ringo's playing on a song you might want to get the title right. :)

Sixmilecross

TDPRI Member
Considering that the Beatles ended in 1971 it's interesting to note that 50 years later their drummer is still a household name. Must have done something right. When I first picked up sticks 56 years ago my two main influences were Ringo and Keith Moon. I'm still playing.

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
Listen to the perfection on this. Over and over. Dead on. I wonder how many of us non-drummers ever even noticed that roll down the set isn't all downward in pitch?

bowman

Friend of Leo's
The Beatles had four really good musicians, but the creativity started with John and Paul. Everyone else had to learn to fit into their music. George did that more obviously, and seemingly easier - after all, he understood the chords and what to do with them. Ringo did it his own way, and to my mind had the much harder job. Sitting around for hours at a time while the other three guys worked on the song can't be easy, and then he had to deliver a fresh, spontaneous-sounding drum track? Much respect.