In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Nov 8, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I listened to the Fillmore version of this song today... on constant repeat... on the drive from Louisville to Nashville... a 2 1/2 hour drive. Over and over and over... and never lost interest one time. I am forever amazed by that song being performed live. I’ve seen Jack Pearson do live too, with his trio (Jack, plus drums and organ w/pedal bass). There’s probably not another song that better straddles blues/jazz/rock/early “fusion” even? (Maybe?)

I was by myself. My wife would have turned it after 3m 20s.

Omiewise65, DonM, black_doug and 19 others like this.
  2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I don't think I've ever quite done that, but I've sure had that album on a loop on long drives before, particularly back in the days of auto-reverse tape decks, which were dreadful things, but were pretty good for keeping a road-trip set to high octane. When I first got back into playing a few years ago, one of the first things I did was learn the intro to that tune from a YouTube clip. Haven't played it in a while - I may have forgotten it, but it made me really feel good to be able to do even that. I was generally more of a Deadhead than Allman Bros guy, but I don't think there was ever better driving music than the Allman's live stuff.

Omiewise65, DonM, cat dude and 4 others like this.
  3. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

This guy nails it.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah , cool song. I have not done it but some guys around here have and it's not too darn hard to pull off. I learned some of it for a Jam with them.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love IMOER, too.
    I first heard it when I was in the 8th grade, almost 50 years ago.
    It’s absolutely haunting.
    I love the original ABB, and Dickey Betts in particular.
    Mr. Betts’ great writing and playing really inspired and informed my playing.
    Thanks, brothers!

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Any guitarist who wears a “Skydog” t-shirt better nail it!:D

Omiewise65, CigBurn, Bassman8 and 2 others like this.
  7. Deebers

Deebers TDPRI Member

Chief101, TheGoodTexan and Dan German like this.
  8. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange TDPRI Member

I’ve gotta agree. “Blue Sky” is my hands-down favorite ABB song.

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

It's no Elizabeth Reed but maybe a runner up?

10. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

My guitar teacher gave me Elizabeth Reed to learn back when I was in high school in the late '70s, and none of my friends had ever heard it. I loved it then and still do.

11. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

I agree with all the above. Been listening not quite as long as brookdalebill but been listening to this forever. Been fortunate to see ABB more times that I can count & have seen IMOER played at everyone of them. What a classic.

If you have or ever get a chance to go to Macon & go to see Duane, Berry, & Gregg at Rose Hill, Elizabeth Reed Napier's grave is just past the road leading up to the brothers grave's, on the river road. A beautiful & wonderful place.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

I am in awe of that song i could listen to it over and over , by far my favorite cut from that awsome album

I cant help myself........

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  13. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

The Big House museum is also about 5 minutes away. Well worth the trip. Here's a tip for the cemetary: Don't drive some monster vehicle! I was stuck with Nissan Armada as my rental and I was terrified that I would accidentally roll over a tombstone. Tight turns, slopes, and narrow paths.

But absolutely worth the trip for an ABB fan

Smokin OP, cat dude and TheGoodTexan like this.
  14. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

The video posted above is one of a bunch done by Brian "Willie" Williams, a local musician and friend who moved away in the 90s. He plays in an Allman Bros "tribute" band called Skydog. He is especially dedicated to recreating and preserving their music, and his Virtual Woodshed series on Youtube is really great. Funny, another friend and I were just talking about Willie today at lunch, and he pops up here on TDPRI.

15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

IMO the studio version is a 'perfect song'. Every note, drum hit, bass note is perfectly played and spaced. In many ways I feel the first solo was Dickie Betts' masterpiece. The live version? Probably listened to that piece of music more than any other in my guitar-life. Just brilliant - IMO Duane's best crafted and played solo.

brookdalebill and TheGoodTexan like this.
  16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

one of the all time greats- yeah it always astounds me

brookdalebill and TheGoodTexan like this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

What a great song that has a wonderful groove and amazing guitar playing. Three thumbs up and golf claps

18. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

In 2005 I had a motorcycle crash that left me banged up, on crutches, and with a titanium plate and 7 screws in my foot. My wife was less than pleased with me to be dragging around and in pain. Based on youthful misdeeds I'm not able to take painkillers. We were staying at a cabin on a lake in Northern Vermont, and she and my son went off to a soccer game leaving me to fend for myself. (No blame here, I was fairly miserable with no real immediate solution.) I hobbled down to the dock, edged my way into my bass boat and motored out to a particularly tranquil part of the lake. I had my headphones on and was listening to Live at the Fillmore East. I shut the motor down and really concentrated on In Memory of....... It might sound stupid to say it was a spiritual experience but I can definitely attest that it helped me deal with the pain.

19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Just a minor quibble but, in my opinion, the "At Fillmore East" version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" blows the studio version out of the water, if only for Dickie's volume swells on the intro alone...one of the greatest Dickie/Allman songs.

Georox, Chiogtr4x and TheGoodTexan like this.
  20. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Eric Krasno live with Tedeschi Trucks Band last month. Take a listen, just beautiful. I was at this show. Even better in person.

fendrguitplayr and dkmw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.