1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In Line Mic Boost devices for Ribbon and dynamic

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 28, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Some months ago I bought a Klark in-line mic boost when I purchased an SE Ribbon mic. I opted for it rather than the more expensive Cloudlifter devices and it has worked really well. You can't really operate a Ribbon without a boost but recently I started using it on my dynamic mic (SM57). It makes it so much easier to get a good level vs just using the pre on my Focusrite 2i2.

I have thought about upgrading to the Cloudlifter but I wonder if it would produce any better results since I'm satisfied with the Klark.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If you upgrade to the Cloudlifter Z there might be a more of a difference with the added variables.

Not sure the standard CL would be a dramatic change.

Of course that's a $250 price tag on the CL-Z.

Sounds like the Klark works fine for you.

3. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

I have tried both I hear no difference.. I am now using an inexpensive Presonus Bluetube V2 and to my ears it sounds way better than either of the above mentioned..

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I recently started using a cloudlifter when I record strumming tracks on my acoustic with a 57. Haven’t used the others.

5. burntfrijoles

I'm not opposed to spending more $$ but, as you said, the Klark is working well. I compared a recording with the SM57, with and without the Klark in-line and there was noticeably more audible hiss without the Klark.

That's good to know. The Bluetube looks interesting but it seems less convenient that the in-line options. My recording desk is small so I like to avoid clutter. My setup is as basic as can be: Mic > Focusrite > Mac (with Focusrite outputs to my Yamaha HS50m). I don't need more so no outboard pre's, effects, etc. Like Lynard Skynard's mom said "be a simple man".

Donnie55 likes this.
  6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Haven't had a chance to compare it with a Cloudlifter, but the Tritone FetHead works really well with my sE ribbon mic.

Donnie55 likes this.
  7. burntfrijoles

As I said, I purchased the Klark as a necessity for my sE X1R ribbon. You can't record a ribbon without boost. I didn't realize it had utility with Dynamic mics although it seems obvious. The Klark was just a low cost alternative. It's doing the job so it seems foolish to upgrade.
    I should have been more obvious in my OP that I'm suggesting folks who don't have a ribbon, try one for their dynamic mics. I was always confused that I had set the input gain on my interface so high to get a decent level with my SM57 or my Sennheiser e609. (Whenever I see Sennheiser I always recall Walter White's Heisenberg)

Donnie55 and swervinbob like this.
  8. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

I used them for my SM7`s and my 58`s..The SM7 is almost unusable without a preamp..( its dynamic ).. The reason I like the Presonus better , it doesn't operate off yer phantom power so I can also run my condenser mics thru it..

9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I think I was going to get one of the Presonus mic pres, but none were in stock at the time, so I ordered the CL

Slim Chance and Donnie55 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.