In hole pup for acoustic

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by '51 geezer, Feb 22, 2020.

1. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I have a Martin D-35, about an 84 model or year. I'm on a tight budget. I'm thinking about putting an in hole pickup on it. It's a family heirloom, passed to me and intended to be passed on by me. So, I don't want to do much" modding". Plus, I'm not the level of luthier to do much anyway. GFS has a sound hole pickup that matches to an endpin jack they sell. Supposed to require no cutting. So, has anyone used GFS sound hole pickups? Are they decent? Is there something similar that is better and budget priced? I don't want the wire to hang outside of the guitar as I will occasionally gig with it. Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me.

teletimetx and 24 track like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I put a belcat $20 buck delivered pickup in my d35 copy and it sounds good. It's completely reversible and only took a few minutes to install. I don't recommend my gaff tape installation method on your lacquer finish though. You could quite easily run the lead internally to the end pin. Running it with a eq pedal would give some tone shaping ability.

20191208_190953.jpg

20191208_191010.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    24 track likes this.
  3. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I don't want that kind of installation either, but, my finish is not perfect. Ex father in law was a player not a collector. Pretty guitar by the way, back is REALLY nice.

24 track and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I put K&K Pure Western Mini Pickups on my Martins. They're a bit expensive, but IMHO they're best sounding pickups. The're easy to install, they're invisible and you don't need to moddify your guitar alot.

Chunkocaster and 24 track like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have 2 of these and they sound great abot 50.00 roughly , one I got ata second hand store for 5.00

55039c59-108e-4025-a130-2569c88c775f.jpg

sjtalon, Rowdyman and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

The Fishman soundhole pickup is pretty cheap ($50 - $60), and it can be soldered to an end pin jack easily. I have one in my Guild DV52S, and it sounds good!

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I second the Fishman option. I have the Fishman Sonitone Onboard Preamp system in my two Martin guitars. It's simple, inexpensive - and it sounds great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure why you care about wire coming out of the sound hole.
    Don’t have experience with GFS acoustic pickups but my other experiences with them have not been consistently reliable, others like their stuff, etc.
    The Dean Markley in hole stuff sounds ok, but the cords don’t hold up. Little flimsy cord, everyone of them has turned up lame. same problem, most other brands.
    Maybe I’m hard on stuff.
    Seymour Duncan makes a Woody XL, adjustable pole pieces, stout cord, $70 new, less used, sounds good. That would be my rec for least invasive. At any normal gig, you would be the only one who cares about cord coming out of sound hole. That’s just IME, though.
    The K&K mini gets high marks all around, a little pricier, a little more invasive, but not much.

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

I have a 1939 D18, and, yes, I play it out on occasion. Needless to say, any cutting, drilling, etc on a vintage instrument is verboten to me. Solution? Mine has a L R Baggs M 80 sound hole pickup that feeds into a Vintage Jack. This jack fits into the hole that the end pin is in without drilling anything out, using a 1/8 inch plug, rather than the standard 1/4 in. The beauty of it is, should one want, removing the Vintage Jack and restoring the guitar to original only involves putting the end pin back in. _585.JPG

JL_LI likes this.
  10. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

On my Blueridge I tried several soundhole pickups, the SD lipstick sounded the best to me. It's very low output so I run it through a SD pickup booster. No permanent mods needed.

11. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

Thanks for all your advice.

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I really like these Lawrence models. Inexpensive and some models have a little volume knob on the pickup. They make a ton of different ones including HB and etc.
    [​IMG]
    Those Markely woods ones aren't bad really, I bought one for $20 on Ebay.

13. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+ 1 on the Dean Markley.

Love mine.

14. DisharmonicDark99

DisharmonicDark99 TDPRI Member

I've used a few different soundhole pickups over the years to varying degrees of success, the one I've been the happiest with is the Woody Hum Cancelling. Rich, full tone and no 60 cycle hum. Got mine on sale for under $50, it's held up well so far. https://www.seymourduncan.com/acoustic/woody-hum-cancelling

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.