In Ears or Stage Monitors? What's your preference!

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by codamedia, Feb 28, 2020.

1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I've been old school for decades by sticking to stage monitors but over the past 2 - 3 years I've had to go in ears on many gigs/tours. I bought a personal "wired setup" for rehearsals and small venues... while touring acts always provide wireless rigs for the bigger shows... just bring your own ear pieces.

It took some getting used to, but I am now at a 50/50 point in my preference. I love the live feel of stage monitors, but get along really well with the "near studio quality" of in ears. I know the isolation of in-ears can bother many people, but I don't have any issues with that. I usually ask for "no ambient mic" in my ears. The other benefit (to me) of in ears is the ability to monitor at a much lower volume than stage monitors provide.

What's your preference?

2. fenderdfs

fenderdfs Tele-Meister

Once you go IEMs it's hard to go back. Find the right in ears and get a good mix and never look back. Worth the investment if your gigging a lot.

Ron R and tah1962 like this.
  3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Give me a wedge.

Standing on an ear bud doesn't have the same effect.

download.jpg

4. sswoverl

sswoverl TDPRI Member

I will ask, anyone have experience with some of these budget wireless IEM systems via Amazon?

opticnerv likes this.
  5. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

+1 on IEM’s.

6. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ll opt for IEM 99% of the time...easy peasy

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

We recently went for a budget IEM system. The Behringer XR18 digital mixer gives us six auxiliaries so we all have our own mix. Four of us are wired, through a Behringer HA6000 six channel headphone amp, and I have the inexpensive wireless t-bone IEM75 (which runs to just over £100 from Thomann). We all like them. We don't get feedback anymore, everyone can hear themselves, and our harmony vocals are so much better. A couple of the others are talking about getting their own wireless kits, but this one only supports two at a time so I don't know how well it might work.

I run a small festival each year with about a dozen acts in as many hours. I provide backline, drums, PA, lighting everything. This year instead of wedges we used my cheap IEM setup. We had a lot more room on stage and could keep stage volumes much lower, which is important for a festival held in a marquee located in a residential area. A few performers had their own wireless IEMs which they used. The headlining band used three wirelss IEMs (including mine) a wireless mike and two wireless guitar transmitters, along with the XR18 running through a wireless router, with no interference problems. I will be using the IEMs again next time.

8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Have adjusted to IEMs, but then I have total control over my mix. And my console has an adjustable ambient mic so I can sense how my amp level is in the room overall.

telestratosonic likes this.
  9. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I had to go IEM at my church some years ago as we went “silent stage”. I got custom 1964 Ears, and liked the first pair so much that I had a second pair made. But, we also went for individual mixes at the control of each performer. It’s fine.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Never used an in-ear. Always figured that was for fancy folks who had money.

11. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I like the control of IEM's, but I also am not very good at making my own mix, so I could go either way lol. I usually end up with a very guitar-heavy mix that's just too loud and muddy, turns out there really is an art to being a sound engineer (obviously).

12. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

I, too, have wondered about those Amazon models. Can't totally rely on youtube endorsements, IMO. If i were to start gigging again I'd INSIST on IEM's. Monitors never worked for me. And thanks to a rabid bassist my right ear is almost gone. Long story for another time.

I've considered having a personal IEM setup just to hear my guitar signal (however that were to be - direct to PA or mic'd amp) thnx to loud drummers, a rhythm guitarist who insisted on using only the neck p-up with no high end on the amp, etc. To everyone: how do you/would you go about implementing such a solution just for my personal monitoring?

13. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

John Petrucci says that his live IE mix is guitar front but with CD quality mix - and NO vocals due to the roving singer and live mic transmitting ambient sound.

14. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

Can you share the details of your setup?

15. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

IEM without a doubt.

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I can’t stand monitors, in the way that they are normally employed – wedged floor cabinets only shooting back certain things. I want elevated back facing speakers or side fills shooting back the front of house mix exactly – nothing more, nothing less. Nothing else is at all useful to me.

opticnerv likes this.
  17. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

This is in a small/medium church setting for the praise and worship band. They had already totally redone the sound system, going digital and phased in putting everyone on IEMs. When they bought my console, they had the foresight to go up one notch higher to the Allen & Heath Me1 which gives me total control over my mix of 16 channels, plus the ambient (local) mic, which is important for me as I'm the only amp on an otherwise silent stage. It's a $700 unit mounted on my mic stand. The weak length at this point is the monitors, I'm using Sure SE215s which are OK, but research tells me the next step up is $400 (or $,$$$ for wireless). I haven't brought myself to taking that leap yet as it's only a handful of songs a week for a charity gig.

telestratosonic and joe_cpwe like this.
  18. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

IEM for me. I use a budget model, Thomann IEM 100. Absolutely fantastic for me. I only have my own vocals in them, as I can hear everything else. I use them because our two singers have floor wedges, and have them so loud that there's no way I can hear my backing vocals. I only use one ear piece and hear everything else through the other ear. Works a treat for me.

19. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great thread, codamedia. Thanks to those who are chiming in. I'm thinking about wireless IEMs for myself.

codamedia likes this.
  20. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

IEMs: I hear every aspect of the music exactly how I want to hear it, the stage volume doesn’t muddy the room mix...BUT...it’s so much harder for me to connect with the people in the room.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.