In desperate need of USB cable advice (Katana artist related)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Informal, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Ok, I've been whacking myself over the head for 3 hours trying to figure this out....

Trying to keep it short, but may not be able to:

I had a Fender Mustang 2 and a Katana 50w

They seemed kind of redundant, so I loaded them in the car, went to Guitar Center and traded both (plus some cash) for a 100 watt Artist series.

Love the amp... here is my only issue.

When I had the Katana 1 and Mustang... I had one 15 foot USB extension cable and just swapped out cables as needed..... I'm anal about cables running across my room, so I bought USB over Cat5 adapters...

Ran it over a flat 20 foot cat5 cable.... And both worked perfectly...So I replaced my base moulding and routed a channel in it for the cat 5 run... Post moulding swap... Both amps worked and connected perfectly to my computer...

So I bring home the artist series, plug it into the same spot where the old Katana was... Nothing.

I finally move the new amp closer to my computer, and plug it directly into the computer with just the USB cable (bypassing the USB over Cat5 run)... Works fine... load new firmware, software etc.....

Should be in business now right? Nope.... WTF???

I ended up going across town and borrowing a buddy's Katana 1..... Plugged it into my cat5 extension......and it worked fine..... Plug the Artist back into the same run.... Nothing!!!!

How in the hell is this possible? What could I possibly be missing?

So much for keeping it short... If you got this far, Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

There can be range limits on USB without active repeaters/extenders. You are getting to the limit at 3 to 5m.

May be a different tolerance or earlier USB spec.

What are the cat 5 adaptors?

3. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

4. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

Have you looked into bluetooth?

5. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

My experience with several dongle connectors is they are not dependable over time. I would say it is obvious your new Artist does not play with your Kat5 setup. It works fine with the USB..
    Get a USB the length you need.. I have chained usb's together for added length with no problems.. they sell usb's with one female and one male end for just that purpose..

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

7. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Not yet, seemed like it might bring latency into the picture, I'll try it if my new extenders don't work.

Just weird that it won't work.. I have a server in my attic, inside a cooling case, and run all kinds of Usb devices with a run of over 100 feet of Cat5.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.