In controlled conditions, finish being the only variable, an electric guitar will sound different

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by ScareDe2, Sep 27, 2021.

In controlled conditions, finish being the only variable, an electric guitar will sound different

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. No

114 vote(s)
    82.6%
  1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Trolling:

It works!

I voted no, thus proving that trolls under bridges influence passers by above.

2. Caffiend

Caffiend TDPRI Member

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s Peavey were showing ‘evidence’ in the form of recordings and waveforms - all obtained in a legitimate engineering fashion - that the transistor amps of the period (which were nowhere near the modellers we have now) sounded the same as valve amps. Very few people would seriously agree with them on this now and very few did at the time.

There’s a lot of variables in how a guitar sounds, but as with many other things (bikes for example) there’s a big unconscious element of if you want to play it or - if it appeals to you- and colour is part of that as are other aesthetics.

3. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

There is no possible way to finish adjust the experiment on the same guitar. Using two guitars with different wood even if from the same tree will sound different. In order to strip the finish off of the same guitar and apply a new finish will most likely take some sanding, and the sanding will reduce the overall mass of the guitar, thus altering the tone/sound.

One can only use assumptions that the exact same guitar would sound any different with any other finish (not tape or concrete or additional goop glued on to the finish). One finish (from the factory) would need to be applied (at the factory) and a very specific recording would need to be made. Then this finish would have to be stripped off, sanded, and then another finish type would need to be applied (by the user0. Then a new recording with the exact same amp setting, microphone placement and recording (DAW) settings would need to be used.

Too many variables, like... does the user use the exact same equipment and exact same person that applied the finish at the factory to apply the second finish?

I will go with... red finishes have more treble, blue finishes have more mid-range, and white or clear finishes have more bass. And if the player is chewing gum and walking across the stage, he can easily do Eddie Van Halen riffs even with a Strat and sound just like Ted Nugent....

I feel like I have been click-baited...

4. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Puhtahtoe

boneyguy and Seasharp like this.
  5. Seasharp

Seasharp TDPRI Member

You can get a ticket for shredding on a red one. I don't shred so I won't get a ticket.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  6. Seasharp

Seasharp TDPRI Member

Every guitar has a different resonance or natural frequency. That said no guitar is exactly the same as the other. The natural frequency of the guitar body is different when you use a solid piece of wood, different woods too, or a 2 piece or 3 piece glued body. All different. Type of neck and the materials vary. Nut material, cast or forged material, brass or steel, string material and thickness .... the list goes on. Point is, everything affects the tone and you haven't even touched on the pickups and materials used in them.

I bought a new 50's tele with nitro finish and a baseball neck when I was in Nashville last month. I visited Gruhn guitar and Cory (great guy) asked me what I was interested in and I told him and he said try this one. I played the others, not with an amp but with my hands and my side feeling the guitar vibrate. Played several and always came back to the first one. I bought that one and never played it through an amp there. They shipped it and I plugged it into my Michael Clark 59 baseman and it was true love. All that said, I have a 25 year old tele as well and without a doubt one can tell the difference.

7. Bassdawg

Bassdawg TDPRI Member

Tom T Hall indirectly answered this back in 1976 with his soliloquy to things that matter: Faster Horses

Fiesta Red likes this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Younger Women…

9. ScareDe2

ScareDe2 Tele-Meister

I can agree with most of what you said, but if you think the finish also affects the tone, I hope you voted yes.

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

As close as it gets to getting a definitive answer to this age-old question, from someone with serious fret-time under his fingers. I also like the feel of nitro and the way it gets older. That, and having a color I like, are the determining factors to me in selecting finish.

Tone? In an electric your technique, amp, pickups, bridge assembly, strings, pick, fx and health of the signal chain contribute 99.99999% of the recipe. The rest may have an effect but does not really matter in a band context. Not even for guitar nerds like us.

PS: in @El Marin 's post there is a typo in the first phrase. It should either read "As I am not a person… I don't play and don't like strats" or it should read "As I am a person… I play and like strats" :lol::lol::lol:

El Marin likes this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Yep. Scrape it off with a pick and sweat and rub over long hours, and you'll find it sounds a lot better. As an added bonus, even the thick poly-covered pristine guitar you take from the wall at GC will sound one heck of a lot better.

JL_LI likes this.
  12. ScareDe2

ScareDe2 Tele-Meister

My opinion, take two same guitars, the beat up one will always sound better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.