1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

In a Silent Way - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Cornelius TX, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Cornelius TX

Cornelius TX TDPRI Member

Hello!

My brother is moving and gave me his vinyl copy of this album. I've always loved it, but hearing it on this heavy vinyl really opened it up for me. I love every single thing about this album, and it is definitely in my top 5.

While I realize that no album can likely touch this or come near it, do y'all have any recommendations for similar albums in terms of vibes, groove, minimalism, tasteful restraint, etc.? Doesn't have to be jazz, but it's great if so.

Thanks!

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Miles Davis - Filies de Kilimanjaro

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

Greggorios, slauson slim and t-ray like this.
  3. Cornelius TX

Cornelius TX TDPRI Member

Thank you! I love Herbie Hancock's Manchild, also.

4. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Meister

I also love that record. Any of Davis' records around that time are a good listen.
    I know Bitches Brew gets some grief but it's a stunning album IMO.

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Well Bitches Brew changed every thing ... that is my gold standard. You might also try Jack Johnson ... great and often over looked.

loopfinding, Ricky D. and rand z like this.
  6. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

loopfinding and Greggorios like this.
  7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

There was a period of time in the early early 80's that european jazz label ECM, was putting out some interesting minimalist music that kinda turned into what was called "New Age" music.

They had many artists on their roster including...

Pay Metheny, his first few album's are mostly solo guitar and, imo, wonderful.

Jan Garbarek has some nice stuff, too.

And, Jack De Johnette.

Many of the artist's played on each others album's and a "style" developed from it at ECM.

I believe a lot of it evolved from Miles and Bitches Brew.

8. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted

Silent way is one of my very favorite albums. Here are a couple of others: I discovered Nils Petter Molvaer, a Frenchman, about ten years ago. His 2005 and 2006 albums, ER and Streamer, have a very cool and relaxed vibe. Maybe not a "brother" of Miles but maybe a cousin. Miles' Filles de Kilimanjaro also recommended. Since you are out there digging for gold, you also should try Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch. It is a masterpiece of a different sort. A lot more energy, but it rewards the listener who is willing to give it some time to sink in. I am perhaps just a bit sad when it is over, because I want it to continue. Let us know what else you discover.

9. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Anything that says MILES DAVIS on it

darkwaters and rand z like this.
  10. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted

I have to admit that I do not enjoy Bitches Brew. I own it and listen to it occasionally, but it does not please my ears or engage my mind. Silent Way is a masterpiece, IMHO.

11. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

If we all heard things the same way music wouldn't be very interesting would it? A lot of it has to do with the cats you are playing with and what you are playing .... I was immersed in avant-garde music and art in the middle - late 60's and most of the 70's. So I kind of gravitated to this stuff and still do to some extent.

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Tony Williams Lifetime "Emergency", the Joe Farrell Quartet, Freddie Hubbard "Red Clay"...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Henry Mars and loopfinding like this.
  13. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Miles' oeuvre over the five decades or so he was making music was enormous, and he rarely repeated himself. In a Silent Way was followed by Bitches Brew which may be too dense and dissonant in comparison, which was followed by A Tribute to Jack Johnson, which was the closest Miles came to straightforward rock and roll. A lot of stuff is now online on YouTube, so just start exploring. His earlier works, such as Kind of Blue, Porgy & Bess, and Sketches of Spain, are sublime.

14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I haven't listened to IASW in at least 10 years, but I remember it being very restrained.

If you are interested in moody rock, you might enjoy some Post Rock bands. I have listened to them a bit, but am no expert.

Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Mogwai

GFrank likes this.
  15. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I wish I had experienced that music chronologically as it rolled out in the 1960s and early '70s. When I started playing guitar in the early '80s, I thought I needed to start paying attention to jazz, as it was obvious that many of those guys were more advanced musicians, particularly in terms of harmony, than many rock stars. Ralph Denyer's The Guitar Handbook had a photo of John McLaughlin wailing on a Gibson EDS-1275 doubleneck, the same kind Jimmy Page played, so I thought, "I'll start with him." I played the grooves off the first two Mahavishnu albums and thought that it was awesome stuff. Since McLaughlin got his start with Miles, I bought Bitches Brew next, and other than "Spanish Key," I didn't get it until many, many plays. But I would have loved to have heard the progression chronologically from Silent Way to Bitches Brew, to Mahavishu.

16. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tomaz Stanko, sometimes considered the Miles Davis of Europe/Poland. I really like his work with the Tomaz Stanko Quartet (Stanko with the Marcin Wasilewski Trio, a wonderful piano trio in there own right.) Both "The Soul of Things" and "Suspended Night" on ECM are wonderful recordings that might fit the bill. It's calming, late night contemplative kind of stuff. (Listening to that a lot these days.):)

GFrank likes this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, to me it's a must have recording.

drmordo and Henry Mars like this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]chill out with irish coffee or a favourite brandy and that on low

drmordo likes this.
  19. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

This is a worm hole

20. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Weather Report

IMG_0034.JPG

Greggorios and Henry Mars like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.