Impulse NGD (Jazz Tele)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lobomov, May 20, 2020.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Don't ask me why .. It's not like I don't have enough of guitars and I just noodle at home .. But got hit by bad isolation GAS a while ago and been surfing the used adds without finding anything.

But recent discussion about the new "Jazz Strat" that looks great (but too expensive for what it is) made be look up if any of the 2018 Jazz Tele's where still available. Found a couple that I bookmarked ... and this weekend one of them was reduced from 1300£ to 999£ and I couldn't resist

It's on it's way from the UK and will be here in a couple of weeks. I was too cheap to pay 150£ for air shipping. It's an ash body. Vintage tuners, 65 avri pups and an american pro neck with a 9,5" radius and the narrow tall frets. Both body and neck have a nitro finish.

Btw my justification is that I want to string it with heavier strings. Any of you know if you need to fiddle with tightening screws that hold springs like on a strat bridge or how does a jazzmaster bridge work?

Not mine as it hasn't arrived, but one of these:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I love it! Congrats!

Lobomov likes this.
  3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Nice!

Luv bound necks on Fenders.

Lobomov likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

39martind18 and Lobomov like this.
  5. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

you did well

tamer_of_banthas and Lobomov like this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Congratulations.

Lobomov likes this.
  7. Retrobob

Retrobob Tele-Meister

Groovy color too!

tamer_of_banthas and Lobomov like this.
  8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Dammmit. Now I have to look that up.

Suhweet!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Lobomov likes this.
  9. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

Swoon.

Aren’t guitars beautiful.

Lobomov likes this.
  10. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Watch 5 watt worlds “History of the Jazzmaster.” Apparently Leo designed it specifically for heavier strings and there is only an issue when using light strings.
    Beautiful guitar congrats.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You see the big button at the top of the trem plate? The only adjustment you'll need to make is on the screw right behind it.

Basically, the Jazzmaster bridge floats. I don't know if that word is technically correct in this case but you can push the bar down to lower the pitch or pull up on it to raise the pitch.

Breaking a string will lessen the tension on the bridge, which in this case will cause everyone else to go sharp, as though you had pulled up on the bar. The slide button is meant to block that motion by the trem, so that if/when you break a string you can push the bar down, slide the button back, let go of the bar and be back in tune.

The screw behind the slide button adjusts what this stopping point will be. You'll string the guitar however you like, do your set-up and, when that's all done, adjust that screw so that engaging the slide button will give you no room to pull up on the bar, but also not lower your pitch by forcing it down. Dead center.

My internet connection and/or Google is not cooperating right now, but there's an online article from Premier Guitar on setting up Jaguars and Jazzmaster that explains all this and has some pics/diagrams. All lot of it will apply to your guitar since a lot of the set-up questions/potential issues surrounding JM's and Jags are to do with the bridge/trem.

Have fun! I find my Jazzmaster to be oddly Tele-ish in some respects, but also its own thing. That's mostly down to the bridge/trem, the pickups and the rhythm circuit, and your guitar has two of those 3.

tamer_of_banthas, AAT65 and Lobomov like this.
  12. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

What SixString says rings true.

I'd order a Mustang bridge if I were you. The Jazzmaster saddles get annoying the third or fourth time the low E pops. Jazz saddles are threaded, Mustangs are smooth with a slot.

Lobomov likes this.
  13. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Big congrats, looks like a funny guitar. Enjoy!

Lobomov likes this.
  14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

OK, so no worries about tightening claws that holds springs, just adjustment of locking mechanism.

Thanks ... But no need. Fender already put a mustang bridge on it from the get go :)

[​IMG]

Rigel7 and BBQedIguana like this.
  15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

It's stunning. But I'm picturing the neck with block inlays. That would have been something . . .

Lobomov likes this.
  16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

17. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Good score, hope you enjoy it. As the owner of both a Tele and Jazzmaster I predict this will be a great player — and it looks cool too!

Heavier strings do help with the JM bridge but 10s are OK (that’s what I use). The Mustang bridge is a bit less fiddly than the standard JM but if Fender hadn’t already picked that I wouldn’t have advised rushing to make a change till you know whether the standard bridge causes you problems or not.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s cool I’d love to have one, the jazzmaster is my favorite guitar (don’t tell these guys;) ),

I think there’s a jazzmaster strat that’s new that I would love to try

There’s lots of info on the internet about how to set up a jazzmaster trem, the “right” way is so when you’re in tune the locking mechanism works so if you break a string you just depress the arm till it locks and you’re back in tune (this is how it was designed)

I set mine up tighter so the arm is higher up so the lock doesn’t work for me

19. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

Pretty wild looking, a Tele turned into a Jazzmaster, never seen one. Now there's a JM that I like:D

Lobomov likes this.
  20. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

That is HOT HOT HOT!!! I was just daydreaming whilst looking at a cheap Tele HH body what this pickup setup would sound/look like... did not know Fender actually released one. Then again, it should never surprise me these days. Sometimes it seems that they let the lunatics run the asylum... and its awesome!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.