Improvisation Sites?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Larry F, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Can anyone recommend some improvisation sites and forums? I'm interested in what others think about improvisation, primarily blues and jazz, and not necessarily for guitar players.

h_berder likes this.
  2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Are you a member of the Jazz Guitar forum? (http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/) It may not be what your looking for since it is almost exclusively guitar players, but it's worthy checking out. The improv section has some good discussions

3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

What are you looking for? What you attempting to gain? Maybe a musical improvisation thread could be started here?

4. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Asking for websites about improvisation reminds me of:

"Excuse me, can you tell me where the Self-Help book section is?"

"I could, but that would defeat the purpose."

(No offense intended)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Seasicksailor likes this.
  6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I would venture a guess that Larry F know's how to improvise and has specific reasons for why he's asking what he's asking. And maybe that the ambiguity of his post isn't fortuitous. He specifically stated that he's interested in seeing how others think about it.

7. Larry F

screamin eagle is right. I want to know how experienced improvisers approach the topic. I'm working on a new project and would like to get a better understanding of how people think about things like pitch control, motivic development, telling a story, and interacting with the band. Guitar is fine, but so are other instruments. I'm more focused on blues, but could learn a lot from jazz players, too. I'm going through Google leads, but haven't found what I was hoping for.

8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You can definitely search mine, Chris S, Slowpinky's, Waparker's, Tim Bowen's, etc. posts here. There's almost a decades worth of improv discussions.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  9. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Its pretty hard to find anything useful online - on the things you mentioned Larry, most of it concerns harmony /note choices etc - but yeah we have chewed over some of this in the past as Ken says..We've pulled apart some tunes and looked at some solos at some point or another.

There's actually alot of recent journal stuff on form related aspects in improvisation - Routledge have some great stuff out now so its worth scouring the archives and the various books that they are publishing. One thing I have noticed is that some of this discussion has moved away from the perspective of Western Orthodoxies of musical thinking into other modes of analysis - which has ignited lots of new thinking - there's a lot going on out there.
    I thiink one book that really gives insight into 'process' is Paul Berliner's "Thinking in Jazz" - lots of interviews and focussed discussion points from the greats themselves.

10. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The book, Ways of the Hand, by David Sudnow (MIT Press), is a very interesting account of how an intellectual, uptight guy learned to loosen up and improvise on the piano. It's been a long time since I read it, but I recall that his breakthrough came from imitation of posture and hand positions of jazz pianists.

11. Larry F

This is just what I was looking for. Many thanks.

12. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

bingy likes this.
  13. Steedee

Steedee TDPRI Member

I lack these skills in general... I'm always trying to play something "cool" and complex, fast.. etc. My improv sound like I'm practicing.
    I need to develop the ability to create guitar improv based on the mood of the song, the story of the song.
    And I'm always defaulting back to licks I'm most comfortable with instead of trying new idea's.

If you ask me this guy is the master at improv. Not blues but still the master.
    http://www.amazon.com/John-McLaughlin-Ultimate-Workshop-Improvisation/dp/B0036K9C6O

And here is a really great 2 part article.
    http://www.fretmeup.com/guitar-improvisation-part1/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.