Impossible wiring? (50s and series)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by guldhamstern, Dec 20, 2016.

1. guldhamstern

guldhamstern TDPRI Member

Greetings etc.

I'm doing some sketches for the wiring on my Tele project, maybe someone can enlighten me.

I have two pickups. I'm looking for some fancy functions.

1, Possibility to get the pups in series (with push/pull).

2, Possibility to choose between (and parallel) two different cap value (with on/on/on toggle).

3, 50s wiring aka fezz parka.

Ok. So I roughly know how to get function 1 and 2 from diagrams. But when I try to imply the 50s wiring, I get stuck.

*Don’t really think the wiring would be impossible, but an alarming topic is a selling point.

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Different cap values is something I've done with a rotary. First I did a vari-tone, then subsequently did combos on the rotary of only three vari-tone caps [favs] and other things with the other 3 positions on the 6 position rotary. Well two others actually, as one of the 6 is the nothing position. ;) Another could be s shunt/shut off, yada.

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All you have to do for Fezz (50's Gibson/Ted Greene) is take the wire that goes from the tone pot to the vol. pot and put it on the terminal with the wire that goes TO the output jack.

4. sjtalon

dual tone caps p/p tone pot (pull up on switch or mini toggle left and get the orange cap-red lead goes to vol. pot) and series options to the right of that:

Attached Files:

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

He will still have to run a separate ground for the neck pickup for the series, right?

Is that the Deaf Eddie wiring that will take you to series no matter where your pickup selector is?

He's also going to need two P/P's or one P/P and a DPDT on-on-on mini switch to do all this, right?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. sjtalon

>He will still have to run a separate ground for the neck pickup for the series, right?<
    Yes if the neck has a cover, or is not currently a three wire.

>Is that the Deaf Eddie wiring that will take you to series no matter where your pickup selector is?<

Good point, I took that one off so not to confuse things.

Assuming the +2 pup is the neck, then you would have to have the selector in neck (#3) for the series to work.

Here's the get it any time one (thanks again to Deaf Eddie !)
    http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/tele-series.jpg

>He's also going to need two P/P's or one P/P and a DPDT on-on-on mini switch to do all this, right?<

10-4

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  7. SPUDCASTER

Yea!! I have my moments now and then.:D

Gotta love that Deaf Eddie.

8. sjtalon

He is. I have one of his rotaries (FAT-HSS) for my HSS Strat.

Good catch on the p/p I pulled off. Actually I spaced off that would be using the bridge, so you would have to have the bridge pup 3 wire, and then have the sel. on BRIDGE for it to work.

9. guldhamstern

guldhamstern TDPRI Member

Dandy fine answers.

Yes, the plan is one push/pull and one dpdt switch. It's the different groundings that makes me insecure.

When the p/p is pulled, the pu-selector will have no function. Found the diagram on don mares place http://www.buckcannon.com/images/610_ricks_new_series_wire_job.jpg
    (which is Deaf Eddie wiring)

My brother realized that if a dpdt switsh is wired as below, there will be three cap. values, since the caps will work in paralell when the lever is in middle position. Think it would work...

[​IMG]

Would this do it? (sorry for messy sketch)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  10. SPUDCASTER

As sjtalon pointed out in post #3. You'll just need to move the wire from the tone pot to the volume pot to the middle lug on the volume pot. The same lug that feeds the output jack. I don't see why it wouldn't work even with your other mods.

I will say that with this wiring the tone and volume become interactive. When you roll off the tone pot the volume is effected. However, I do notice a little beefier tone wide open through a tube amp. JMO

With that said. I have some guitars that work fine with this and others that I use a treble bleed. Again JMO.

It's all an experiment, Isn't this fun!:)

This is a great place to bounce ideas, I've learned a lot here. Play your guitar and have fun!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.