Importance IMHO of playing style

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
Your observation and Tele's comment are "on time!"

Two comments:

1. The late great alto sax player, Phil Woods, once said (I paraphrase), "I hear a lot of players playing a lot of notes at fast tempos. But to see if they can really play, throw them a ballad; this separates the good players from the rest."

2. No one, IMO, played ballads more tastefully than some of the late great trumpeters Miles Davis, Roy Hargrove, Claudio Roditi and Alan Neese (Alan played with Jackie McClain for years) and the pianist, Bill Evans. They utilized "space" in ways, about which, I can only dream.

<>

Sidenote: This mild mannered gentleman on the album cover, dressed in a suit and tie, was addicted to heroin during this period of his life. Thankfully he kicked his addiction.

Last edited:

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I find myself a lead player by nature. I have to focus myself on more substain and rests. notes.jpg .

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Its the notes left out to me are more classy than too many notes. Its about the song after all. And 2-3 minutes gets the point across. of course there are exceptions. Think BB King.

Yep, I love to noodle. And I have noodled on recordings. But I don't any more. I play tunes.

With any creative enterprise, it's always about what you leave out.

Having said that, the world is still ignoring my music on masse. They're leaving out their interest . . .

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I think Andy Summers was always one of the best players using a sparse style. Also, the Steve Hillage solos from early 70s Gong albums are not breakneck pace or excessively complex but each note seems to be perfectly placed.

72_Custom

Tele-Meister
1. The late great alto sax player, Phil Woods, once said (I paraphrase), "I hear a lot of players playing a lot of notes at fast tempos. But to see if they can really play, throw them a ballad; this separates the good players from the rest."

The late great alto sax player, Phil Woods, also once said to me (I quote directly) “The toilet’s broken. I left a dead dog in there.”