1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Impedance matching transformer

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by BloozeGit, May 7, 2009.

1. BloozeGit

BloozeGit Tele-Meister

Hey folks,

I've got an old Rickenbacher Champ-style amp with a 4ohm OT and 4ohm replacement 8" speakers are hard to come by where I live. Can I get away with using a 2:1 transformer with sufficient power rating between the speaker and OT?

2. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The guy that runs 77 (Dennis, I think) told me there's one 'center' where virtually all the tube/stereo techs are located, one of those guys might have a speaker you can use...I'd at least try that out before futzing around with extra trannies. Sorry, I haven't been there in a couple years, and I can't remember where it is.

3. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

I would not bother wiht the extra tranny, any reasonable design should handle a 2:1 impedance mismatch without damage. There is easily 2X that amount of range in the speakers own impedance curve. If it really bothers you, then yes, a 2:1 tranny will do the trick just fine, an autoformer works better for this job.

4. BloozeGit

BloozeGit Tele-Meister

Marshman, I think I know where you're talking about but those guys are mainly hi-fi/audiophile techs, they don't have much in the way of guitar amp speakers. I've messed around with other speakers but more often than not they don't sound right.

Celeste, this being an old amp I want to be on the safe side. I never knew what an autoformer was till you mentioned it :eek:

Thanks for the replies folks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.