Imminent NGD - what should I check before accepting it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RostokMcSpoons, Sep 11, 2013.

1. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

I couldn't agree more. When I first got into electric guitars, I used to give my guitars to this great guy in South London to do all my setups. He had a great rep, and did a great job.

However, after moving out of London into the countryside, finding a GOOD tech was almost impossible so I learned myself. There is nothing a shop can do that will make my guitar play better, than what I can do.

A 'pro setup' is fine if you don't know what your doing, or just can't be bothered, but my guitars play every bit as good as any pro setup I've ever had. Read, experiment, learn. It's worth it, and it sure saves money on setups over the years!

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

If the guitar is new in box I wouldn't worry to much.. Play the guitar for a few minutes and most probs if any should be evident. Probs I've experienced with new fenders have all been minor.. Loose knobs on a La Cabronita, loose jack socket on a RW 50's.. If the guitar was on display at the other store check everything including case and case candy.

3. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Electronics, fit and finish.

Most importantly, CHECK THE TRUSS ROD. I've seen some guitars ship with a broken truss rod(no joke).

4. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

So, have you got it? If so, HNGD to you!

Tell us a bit about it and of course the obligatory pictures need uploading. :)

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1

This is the one place my eyes and hands always move to. If the neck is right and it joins well to the guitar and the bridge is mostly right, everything else will fall in line.

If the neck isn't right, dead stop, pack it up and get it shipped back.

6. NeilMcG

NeilMcG TDPRI Member

Anyone thought about taking a fret rocker tool to the shop and checking for high frets?

I'd wondered why I couldn't get my CV50s VB to factory spec, so I bought a fret rocker tool off ebay and lo & behold - 6 high frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.