Imma gut my Player Plus

Primo Don

Tele-Meister
Morning! First, I know ultimately it's up to me what I do but I'm interested in hearing opinions.

I've pined for a butterscotch Tele for a long time and have been thinking a Nash T-52 but I found a used PP Nashville Tele and was able to buy it for an absolute song. I'm not crazy about the noiseless pups, I have a Strat for the positions 2 & 4 tones, and it has some grounding issue anyway. My thought is that I gut it and make it the blackguard I've always wanted. I'm thinking swapping the pups, bridge (Callaham (maybe) 3-barrel), control plate/electronics, single-ply Bakelite PG. I'd keep the locking tuners, me thinks. (I'm not entering into any "period-correct" competition.) Two questions:

What do you think?

Would you also change the nut at this point?

Attachments

• BS Tele.jpg
    BS Tele.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 106

Fret Fretterson

TDPRI Member
How do you like the feel of the neck? If it were me, I wouldn’t hesitate to put money into it if I really got along with the neck.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Yeah that’s fine! I wouldn’t change the nut, but a pickup swap or bridge swap is not overkill. I changed one of my 3 pickup Teles back to 2.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If the nut needs any work at all beyond widening a slot for your preferred gauge I’d replace it. But only because it’s the same effort to to significant nut filing as cutting a new one. But if it’s pretty good leave it alone. @Peegoo is right. It’s modular and there is an industry built around modding these guitars. Do it if you’ll like it better.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Morning! First, I know ultimately it's up to me what I do but I'm interested in hearing opinions.

I've pined for a butterscotch Tele for a long time and have been thinking a Nash T-52 but I found a used PP Nashville Tele and was able to buy it for an absolute song. I'm not crazy about the noiseless pups, I have a Strat for the positions 2 & 4 tones, and it has some grounding issue anyway. My thought is that I gut it and make it the blackguard I've always wanted. I'm thinking swapping the pups, bridge (Callaham (maybe) 3-barrel), control plate/electronics, single-ply Bakelite PG. I'd keep the locking tuners, me thinks. (I'm not entering into any "period-correct" competition.) Two questions:

What do you think?

Would you also change the nut at this point?
I’m in the process of changing my PP 2 pickup. I haven’t felt the absolute need to change the nut but eventually may try a bone nut. Now it is fine for me.
Swapped PUs bridge controls tuners pickguard output jack … I love the neck and body and the color is growing on me. Aged CAR.
Next tele may be custom or a partscaster from the beginning…. Live and learn.

Primo Don

Tele-Meister
I’m in the process of changing my PP 2 pickup. I haven’t felt the absolute need to change the nut but eventually may try a bone nut. Now it is fine for me.
Swapped PUs bridge controls tuners pickguard output jack … I love the neck and body and the color is growing on me. Aged CAR.
Next tele may be custom or a partscaster from the beginning…. Live and learn.
Tell me about your new PG. Do the standard ones work or did it need to be MIM-specific?

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Fender official ‘guards fit fine. Seems like most of the ‘Mexico parts are like USA standard imperial and not metric.
Output jack is imperial, iirc.

PGs I have tried all fit fine:
Mint green, 3-ply black and parchment. All fit the stock holes. I just wish they wouldn’t have been drilled so big at the factory. I had to put toothpicks and glue (a few picks at that) to get the screws tight. Just glad can’t be seen.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Is that six saddle bridge a three screw?
Aside from bridge compatibility, mod to your hearts content!

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I have always balked at buying a medium priced guitar, then converting it to one's own preference. I am of the frugal money spending group. I personally have the viewpoint that doing such, generally relegates one to buying lower priced guitars coming out of Indonesia & China. I figure if one is going to spend $850 to $950 (player plus range) for a new guitar, one should get what one likes. But you mentioned 'an absolute song' .... which means you may have gotten for as low as $450, which places it in budget category. Then you can dump another $400 into it, to make it just the way you like it and keep it in the Player range price. I bought a 2021 butterscotch blackguard and it checked all the boxes for me.
20220103_151039~3.jpg

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I say go for it. Should be a great platform.

The nut - depends on what the stock material is. If it's plastic, by all means replace it.

Primo Don

Tele-Meister
She’s done! Here are the mods:

Bakelite PG
Loller ‘52 pups
Fender bridge w Callaham saddles (steel/brass)
Emerson controls
Copper shielded throughout
Proper set up: intonation, fret leveling, TUSQ nut

It’s NGD all over again!

Attachments

• D72184F5-5DC7-414C-8BA2-D03E20F6A6B5.jpeg
    D72184F5-5DC7-414C-8BA2-D03E20F6A6B5.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 30