IMAX...I do not get it.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
The sound was at best horrible hard and unpleasent, especially voices are really bad.
The screen was also quite uninspiring, a strange flat unpleasent picture. The edges was a unclear weird smear.

The movie was 007, only one scene was any fun!
Strange experience.
Glad that I saw Dune in the usual theater that I normally use.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Imax is...meh.

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey when it came out in 1968 at the Cinerama Theater in downtown Hololulu. Cinerama was three curved screens that wrapped around the audience, with three projectors, and multiple speakers behind the screens. Sounds traveled with images as they moved up/down and left/right. It was a very realistic 'immersion' experience. It was also a very scary movie for the wee Peegoo. I loved it.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Only been one time. I think it was on national parks..that was cool from a bird perspective
100 ft tall. Not sure my eyes are big enough to see a klingon war bird uncloaking..might
hurt my neck trying to take it all in.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I though movies had to be filmed for IMAX - with multiple cameras and all. How could they do a 007 movie in multiple formats? Does the film crew have a gaggle of cameras for each format?

Then again, I don't care that much. Like @Bones said, a good story should trump all the rest. Give me a good story with cheesy effects over great effects without a story any day.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I actually could give a rats behind about the story. I am in it for the bigger than life things you don’t normally see in Every day life. IMAX still a tad too big for me as I recall.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
Was not the "effects" that bothered me. They looked just fine.
The sound was beyond terrible.

How can they make human speech sound so revolting? Hard and harder...and then even harder....when they shouted...auuuch...no 70's Marshall could outhard that sound. The low bass was ok...but still not very good. How can anyone stand it?

That is not sound engineering....that is just plain slaughter of your eardrums.
I am used to loud volumes.

But I have never heard anything as unpleasent as this....
How do they make people show up to this? I cannot be the only one who finds it revolting. I have a splitting headache today. My ears are ringing like churchbells...I have been to Pink Floud concerts. AC/DC and so on.....not one of these events had a terrible sound. Just loud and clear...pleasent swampy lows and a balanced mid range and nice highs......

What has gone wrong?
And they think that they are the top end of good sound and visuals....

I am at loss here...I will never set my foot in that place again...
The theater I usually go to have a much more pleasent sound and visuals.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The sound was at best horrible hard and unpleasent, especially voices are really bad.
The screen was also quite uninspiring, a strange flat unpleasent picture. The edges was a unclear weird smear.

The movie was 007, only one scene was any fun!
Strange experience.
Glad that I saw Dune in the usual theater that I normally use.
I've never seen a "regular" movie in IMAX.....only things like documentaries. One I saw on the Grand Canyon was breathtaking. (and the sound was impressive, but not overpowering.)

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
Don't think it is a bad theater, the IMAX one just did not sound or looked very good!
I have never tried getting a headache, nor getting a murderous tinnitus after going to the movies.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Special effects only have the intended impact when new, good stories are timeless.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, they used the IMAX cameras.

https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/no-time-to-die-is-brilliant-in-imax

With a rich history spanning 60 years and 25 movies, NO TIME TO DIE is the first BOND movie to have been filmed with IMAX® cameras.

is it digital or still 65/70mm? i think they still do either/or sometimes?

but i imagine nowadays the discrepancy in source digital formats is not huge, and a lot of movies are probably downscaled for regular release.

Last edited:

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
I imagine IMAX is "tuned" for the seats aligned with the center of the screen. If you sit anywhere else, a myriad of reasons make everything worse. That's how I justify not going to them haha!

Regular theaters are better, and I still try to get middle seats in a middle row.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Was not the "effects" that bothered me. They looked just fine.
The sound was beyond terrible.

How can they make human speech sound so revolting? Hard and harder...and then even harder....when they shouted...auuuch...no 70's Marshall could outhard that sound. The low bass was ok...but still not very good. How can anyone stand it?

That is not sound engineering....that is just plain slaughter of your eardrums.
I am used to loud volumes.

But I have never heard anything as unpleasent as this....
How do they make people show up to this? I cannot be the only one who finds it revolting. I have a splitting headache today. My ears are ringing like churchbells...I have been to Pink Floud concerts. AC/DC and so on.....not one of these events had a terrible sound. Just loud and clear...pleasent swampy lows and a balanced mid range and nice highs......

What has gone wrong?
And they think that they are the top end of good sound and visuals....

I am at loss here...I will never set my foot in that place again...
The theater I usually go to have a much more pleasent sound and visuals.

I think what you describe is not what most people experience, and your experience is an outlier.