iMac help

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Sep 26, 2021.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

My iMac has developed a problem every time I turn it off, I have to re-enter all my passwords for everything every time I turn it back on. I was on vacation for 11 days it was off once we got back this started never did it before except email & the cloud every two weeks I would have to log back in, about 6 months ago email & cloud does not recognize password says to many attempts to log in ( 1st attempt that comes up) I also had a problem with email on my iPad & iPhone they would not get recent emails after unbelievable hours more than one call my wife spent with AT&T support they gave us a special password. Any suggestion on what might be going on with iMac? I’m thinking a setting or maybe a virus, I’m really not a big computer expert far from it

2. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'd call Apple tech support. They're fabulous.

catdaddy likes this.
  3. MrWiggly

MrWiggly TDPRI Member

Something is fubar with your iCloud account. You may actually be locked out of it which prevents data from synching between all your devices and accounts. You need to get your iCloud account unlocked via Apple.

mycroftxxx likes this.
  4. thechad

thechad Tele-Holic

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

I’ll show myself out…:lol:

Midgetje94 likes this.
  5. SacDAve

I might try that, may not be ab AT&T problem.

6. SacDAve

No I haven't I just shut it down, I'll give it a try Thanks. Sometimes I think unplugging it and never plugging it back in would be best for everyone

7. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Have you kept up with all the updates?

Im pretty bad at putting off updates and also pretty bad at going weeks and weeks without shutting down and only placing my imac on “sleep” mode…

my daughter scolded me until I listened…:)

Now i shut down at least once every 3-4 days and keep up with all updates and my imacs are trouble-free again!

(never had any real issues but i did notice some bugs similar to the ones you mentioned- And now- all gone no issues ymmv)

8. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

image_7163.jpg

SacDAve likes this.
  9. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

There are many possibilities as to what is wrong with your iMac, and it is hard to diagnose them at a distance. One thing to try is to restart your Mac while holding down the option key. Then it should bring up two (or more, depending on your set up) volumes you can start from. Pick the “Recovery” one, and double click on that. When it starts up, run Disk Utility app which should be in one of the menus at the top. Select your main volume and see if you can repair it. That is one standard thing to try.

Also, Apple recently made changes in iCloud license agreement, and you may have to accept the new license for iCloud. But I doubt this is the cause of the problem.

One small thing, check in your system preferences to see if you have disabled automatic login. I forget which tab it’s in but there is a search bar in system preferences and you can just type in “automatic login” and it should show you where the setting is located.

one way to really fix things, if the disk utility repair does t do the trick, is to back up all your data and then reinstall the operating system. You can do this in a way which leaves all your data intact, but if that doesn’t work then you can do a clean install which wipes out your drive and starts again from scratch. There are various articles from Apple and Lott’s of other Mac related publications and even individuals telling you how to do this specific to your model and version of the Mac OS.

10. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

There is a great diagnostic tool called Etrecheck, maybe that will help you narrow down your problem.

if you are worried about a virus, you can check that with Malwarebytes.

Both apps have free versions.

pbenn likes this.
  11. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

Second the suggestion of trying Apple support.

12. SacDAve

thechad to bad you showed yourself out.......now you can't see this post That worked thanks. Hopefully it will keep working left it unplugged for about 30 minutes had a few thing to do. I do keep my computer & devices updated as long as the updates are compatible with all my Logic Pro stuff.

13. SacDAve

Thanks I'll show this to my wife she way better at this kind if stuff than me

14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dang it, I didn't get a chance to post Git a Mac!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.