I'm Turning Off The News Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Sep 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. In fact I tend to avoid threads like this, as well. For me it’s not just the images, even though I watched some it occur in real time. It’s the aftermath. I would say that we “haven’t healed”. But that wouldn’t capture an inkling of my thoughts and emotions. This year in particular.

A year almost to the day before the attack on WTC my wife and I lost our first - stillborn. He would have been 21 last week. The fact that we were still grieving our own loss a year later is not as important as the fact that in that year I had grown to deeply resent the patronizing crap people would tell us to ‘console’ us. I by no means wish to offend anyone. But I just have to say that the worst crap tended to be religious in nature. Childhood myths people tell each other in an infantile effort to make sense out of the ultimate reality of death. That’s all I will say on that.

The “Never Forget” stuff this time of year feels like that. And every year our nation refuses to learn from the past, it just feels all the worst.

I’ll shut up now. I apologize to anyone my words hurt or offend. I mean that sincerely.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m glad someone here has the guts to say it.

3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This was the first one I heard - it inspired me to climb 78 floors on stairmaster yesterday morning, albeit, w/o boots, helmet or 80 lbs of gear.

4. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see it again. Those pictures of people leaping out of the building still haunt me today, one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

My thoughts are with you all over the pond.

boris bubbanov and boredguy6060 like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

+1,000

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well in fairness its a lot to process because it's global and we are local.

Sadly, our continued response 20 years later, of hatred for middle Eastern looking men with beard and now hatred for the media?
    That's what a society looks like when it has been beaten by terror.
    Fear of and hatred for media information?
    Making that choice is giving in.

Our fear and hatred for foreigners and the media is where those few extremists wanted to put us.
    We do have a choice, but it's not a fast food Alexa order choice.

P Thought, jman72, skunqesh and 4 others like this.
  8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Sad day, tough memory. I woke up at in a motel I was staying for a conference. Turned the TV on and saw the second plane hit. In the lobby everyone was watching the news. There were two booths at the conference with portable TV's. Everyone was at one or the other. By the end of the day they shut down the conference and we all headed home.

Today is for the families of the victims. Prayers to them all.

P Thought likes this.
  9. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am going to say God Bless and leave this thread. I don't watch footage. I probably haven't watch more than a few seconds since 2001, but the ceremonies are incredibly important to have. I am not and never will be willing to forget and those who want to ignore, pretend it didn't happen, or minimize it will be part of the reason something like it happens again. Complacency is the reason it happened. Complacency is the enemy, no matter what country you are in. GBA and all of you.

cbnutt and duzie like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Seriously.
    The stories of all those first responders in those first hours and subsequent years is intense.
    There was one Chief of a fire house right near ground zero who wanted to be transferred out after the dust cleared.
    He felt that he just could not face it every day.
    But after much deliberation the brass together decided they or really "we", needed him to stay right there and pull the community back together as a power of example to surviving and newly recruited first responders.

Sometime what we need is maybe to see a grown man cry?

Deeve likes this.
  11. Tele T

Tele T Tele-Meister

.........R.I.P. to ALL. this was a sad for all the world, may GOD bless.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good call!

Some of my musician buddies and I just formed a casual ' Country-Rock' band for kicks.
    We have 3 guys who can sing lead, and I picked ' Blow Up Your TV!' as one of my songs.

( unfortunately, though we love John Prine, we never followed his advice here- D.C./ VA suburbanites that watch too much TV)

13. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

I turned off the news 2 years ago.

Obsessed, Torren61 and telemnemonics like this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I wish you hadn't posted that. It really doesn't help to start a thread about not watching the news today because of 9/11 only to have a video of that day posted. And yeah, I'll just "not watch it then".

buster poser and Manual Slim like this.
  15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I retired out of the 105th AW, NYANG. Our base is where FEMA staged in the days, weeks and months after. We lost two members that day, one NYPD and one from the FDNY. So a little PTSD and sadness for me today on this twentieth anniversary. My opinions are not permitted here so I will leave it at that. I will not watch or listen to anything today nor will I ever forget that day. I will say a few prayers for all who were affected. Amen. Peace.

RobRiggs, Frodebro, GeneB and 2 others like this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I will be singing this for a one-off JP tribute performance in a couple months! So much wisdom in his simply, silly songs.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

This about sums it Up. "Kick'em when their Up and Kick'em when their Down"

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We have a "We'll never forget" sticker in the windshield of my wife's car, we are not going to forget.

cbnutt, RobRiggs, Tele-beeb and 2 others like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I would like to share something that I think might help people dealing with the memories of that day.

I was very insulated from the events that day because I was living remotely, disconnected from the internet and phone for five years at the time and have been away from TV most of my adult life. To me it seems like something that happened somewhere in the world in a history documentary. My wife on the other hand, watched the whole thing unfold that day and was traumatized by the events. Over the years during social events, I am basically just an observer … listening to people discuss the events of that day. Other than the people directly affected that day, everyone else is effected by what they watched on TV. Unfortunately, we see catastrophic events like this in the news be it floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and war battles all too often.

My thought is for helping people deal with this event, it might be useful to take a step back to gain some perspective. This does not diminish what occurred, but may lessen the memory trauma. Just an idea and I hope it helps.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The simple genius, deception, of John Prine's songwriting is you listen to his 'simple' lyrics, sung often over his go- to' G/C/D/G pattern melodies , and you think:
    " I could do THAT!"
    - but no way, you can't!
    He was a real gift

MarkieMark and Jim622 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.