I'm Turning Off The News Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I took the PATH train into the WTC and walked to our office on Water St daily. 20 minutes after I took the escalator up to walk downtown the first plane hit. Going home a few hours later I took a ferry back to New Jersey. A large number of my fellow commuters looked like ghosts - covered in soot and asbestos. We were all in shock and yes our lives were changed forever.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
It is like tearing scabs off of healing wounds. I didn't lose anyone in the attack. Perhaps 24/7 coverage is helpful for the people who lost people in the attacks, but I don't really see how. Therapy for PTSD should be performed in a clinical setting - not on TV.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife's been glued to the television. I can't watch.

I remember in high school reading about The Hundred Years War thinking that's insane. How can a war go on that long? We've gone beyond that into a forever war. The planet is of a finite size with finite resources and increasingly violent global competition for them. That competition puts leaders in power, many of whom are more concerned about maintaining power than the people they lead. Forever is a long time. Certainly longer than I have left here.

Last edited:

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
Clients of mine. Came from NYC to buy a home. THey lived beneath the trade towers. They ran out of their unit when the first plane hit. They ran to the center of the building;congregated with neighbors. They go back to their unit after a few minutes. Looks outside and up to see the aftermath, BAM, he sees the 2nd plane crash right above him. Hard story to forget.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I thought it was just me.
Its not.
The memory of watching it unfold in real time, live- is strong. Cant believe its been 20 yrs.
I dont need or want to re-ignite the emotions of those moments. Nor do I need to rehash the aftermath and following circumstances.

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
I have no memories of the actual attack.

I was in my FTX for basic training at Fort Sill. We had no TV and assumed the drill sergeants were lying until they started bussing people back if they had family in NJ or NY.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I was probably one of the last people to learn about it, not knowing until that evening on shortwave radio, and have only seen brief clips of the events of that day on YouTube years later. My wife OTOH was glued to the set in a city that day and has been deeply affected.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Every day in Vancouver I would read the news paper on the bus ride to home from work. The night before we left Vancouver for Kamloopswe went to a local greek restaurant we liked as a farewel to our move.

the day after i got to Kamloops as usual I picked up the same news paper i Used to read and on the front page was a story of how the owner of the restaurant and the head waitress were stabbed to death in that same resaurant.
I stopped watching/reading the news and wearing a watch , that was almost 30 years ago.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I watched the French accidental documentary a few days ago.
When the event took place I was still a TV free human, no TV.
My GF was on a plane leaving Boston at the same time bound for the same destination and I could not get any info until almost midnight.
She was fine but got stuck in the midwest for weeks.
I also had sent a money order to buy books for my 12 step group which ended up on one of the planes that did go down, so it took a couple of months to get USPS to return the $175.
None of this means much aside from the way we all connect to such stuff.

I clearly remember up in an attic I was converting to living space when the radio announced the second plane amidst confusion, which suddenly became clear.
My first thought was how US citizens might be driven to hate and attack the many for the acts of a few.

I was in NYC during the first WTC bombing and had a funny beard sort of like an ancient Egyptian style.
Despite being Aryan, I took much racist hate from angry people whose ability to think through stuff had been obliterated by the surge of hatred the terrorists so effectively injected into us.
One cigar smoking pawn shop guy looked me in the eye and said "I'm gonna kill me some terrorists" as he reached under the counter like he was going for his Saturday night special.

What can we take away from this?
Do not give in to hatred!!!!!!

And yet, here we are 20 years later and the hatred in the US is greater and more petty than ever.

How petty the reason for many to hate this or that person in their community.
While how grave and harmful the results of that petty hatred.
For the most part the hatred in the US is frustration and fantasy based when directed at our neighbors around us.

So we can be divided or we can unite.
Depending largely on how we choose to take in and process the world around us through media and through people on the road, at the grocery store, living next door to us etc.

Yeah the whole thing from loss of life and horror in the surrounding community to collective reactions rippling around the world?
Terrible terrible tragic world scene.

For my own small part I try to practice kindness even in the face of insult, because this is a disease I can either spread or not spread.
Joining others who are angry for whatever reason, by choosing to present them with anger?
That's me giving in to terror, and BEING the terrorist.
We can so easily play right into the terrorist plan by spreading anger amongst ourselves.

Being kind to an angry person is hard, yet with a little effort, I'd say a solid 50% of the time it has surprisingly good results!
I'm frustrated, you're frustrated, hey guess what we are allies and should remember that we could be friends!
Help one cranky frustrated neighbor find a smile each day, and you conquer terrorism.
Do the opposite and we aid terror.

Status
Not open for further replies.