I'm thinking of building a guitar again, inspired by the Rickenbacker 480.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    I love the look of those but I can't get along with how they sound (Why for example does the bridge pickup have only half the output of the neck pickup?) and the 4001 body shape looks overweight with a guitar neck.

I have this Metallica T-shirt with a Rickenbacker bass picture and I was going "Smaller scale than an actual one, I could work with this."
    [​IMG]
    So I traced that picture and now I'm in the process of creating a routing template.

My plan is, normal start style neck (with a modified Headstock), mahogany body, P-90's and a wrap around tail.

I'll keep you guys informed on how this comes along.

nojazzhere and Jupiter like this.
  2. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I will be watching this... my dream is to one day build my own version of the 480, and I know exactly how I want it.

Good luck with the build, and please share the good and the bad!

Go for it!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, here's the first steps I took in getting this build going.
    DSC02050.JPG I used this piece of perspex to trace the general shape of the instrument from my Metallica shirt.

After which I placed that underneath an A-3 sized sheet of chalk paper to get the dimensions right and refine the shape. I have this cracked Rickenbacker 4001 Pickguard lying around which served perfectly as a mold.
    DSC02051.JPG But as you can tell, it'll take me quite some time refining it all before I can actually start building.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.