I'm thinking about buying me an airplane.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I grew up in the air. Dad was a corporate pilot (after 30yrs as a Navy pilot). We had a J3 Cub and a Bonanza.

When we got the Cub, I had to sit on a boat cushion to see out. Couldn't reach the rudder pedals either. I grew into it.

When Dad was looking for a "family plane" he looked at a Staggerwing Beech. Came back disappointed...said it "flew like a Mack Truck." Good lookin though...gas hog. We ended up with the Bonanza. Dad liked Beechcraft.
I have a friend who used to be a farmer, now he's a builder. He had a Bonanza. Him and my son's brother-in-law went to Vegas one night and landed her wheels up! One of my bosses landed a Beach Baron wheels up at Tahoe. Must be a Beechcraft thing.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey, ain't you ever seen the last Bond? Him and his side kick hopped in a plane they had never flown before, SHE took over, and they flew right out of the back end of another plane, nothing to it! I'll just hop aboard, Alex will say hit it, and we'll be whhhhhhooooshing.
No, I haven’t seen a Bond movie in close to 40 years. Im sure Sean could have done that

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
These split tail models we call Doctor killers.
The v-tail Beechcraft Bonanza is the one with that reputation.
The v-tail version of the Bonanza was 24 times more likely to have an in-flight failure than the same model Bonanza with a conventional tail. The v-tail Bonanza still has a huge following to this day. The problems were mainly attributed to the early models and there was a fix issued by Beechcraft for the affected models.

I think the V-Tail Bonanza is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever.

3631850404_5437e24e2d_o.jpg

Well, actually I think it is second to the Mooney M20 ;)
The Bonanza is a comfy luxury touring car while the Mooney is an exotic sports car.

0107_mooney_ovation.jpg
526ea30d69bedd59218b456d.jpg

Last edited:

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
My brother bought a plane and crashed it. Landing gear failure, no fire, everyone OK. That took the heat off me from my family with my motorcycle ways.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
The split tail Beechcraft Bonanza is the one with that reputation.
Not the fault of the aircraft, just too many people with more money than training flying them.
That was my brother's first plane. He now leases it to his instructor and bought another, bigger, plane. Crashed that (see above) and is on #3 all within the course of a year.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
A tech I worked with built himself a Pietenpole over several years. He had 4 flying friends that would do a dawn patrol together once a month. They'd fly to some uber rural runway, have breakfast and fly back. On his last flight his prop left and he glided down to a freshly plowed field. Minimal damage on contact, but he sold it anyway to insure domestic harmony.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The v-tail Beechcraft Bonanza is the one with that reputation.
The v-tail version of the Bonanza was 24 times more likely to have an in-flight failure than the same model Bonanza with a conventional tail. The v-tail Bonanza still has a huge following to this day. The problems were mainly attributed to the early models and there was a fix issued by Beechcraft for the affected models.

I think the V-Tail Bonanza is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever.

View attachment 1018951

Well, actually I think it is second to the Mooney ;)
proxy-image (41).jpeg

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
Well, if you don’t have a good spot in front of your house to park it, or a really big garage (assuming your street is long and straight enough to land and take off), you’ll be needing a helicopter to get you out to Meadows Field. So now you’ve got your birthday AND Christmas covered for this year.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I worked with a guy who had one of those back in the mid 80s. He also had bought an apartment up pretty high in a high rise in San Francisco. He worked for a huge construction company out of the country and made a ton of money. He said that one day his apartment would make him very rich. His 180 was a red and white one of which there must have been a bunch of. I never got to ride with him, but I played golf with him a number of times, and we'd talk about it, but never did go flying. I did see it once though, he kept it hangered out at Meadows field.
I flew out of Pace Aviation in Ridgeway, VA (private grass airport about 3500 feet long with a slight dog leg) and Blue Ridge regional public 5000 foot jet-port in Spencer, VA (Martinsville, VA) (MTV), always rented. Accumulated 1900+ hours before hanging up my spurs in late 1990's.

Grew up from 1961 - 1975 on the fairway of 13th hole of Forest Park Country Club, golf was always a great past time, I could play all the way to the clubhouse, take in a couple hours of swimming in the pool, eat at Clubhouse, and play golf or walk with my clubs back to our home.

I had a good life.

Guitars, golf, guns, girls, boats, cars and airplanes, in The United States of America!

I've been a fortunate son.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My uncle had several Mooney's.

Had friend that had Saratoga, several that had multiple planes, a guy we called Captain Crunch brought a corporate owned King Air back for a wheels up belly skid cause he was pissed at his employer.

Oh the stories I could tell.

Guess I'll be sticking to the trout streams from now on since I moved back after my wife passed.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My uncle had several Mooney's.

Had friend that had Saratoga, several that had multiple planes, a guy we called Captain Crunch brought a corporate owned King Air back for a wheels up belly skid cause he was pissed at his employer.

Oh the stories I could tell.

Guess I'll be sticking to the trout streams from now on since I moved back after my wife passed.
My cousin had a Baron, then Citation, wound up last I heard with a Saratoga. Haven't seen him in years.