im sorry but 12 watts is not "way too loud"

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by surfoverb, May 18, 2015.

1. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

IMHO, I believe the point was that different playing situations call
    for different wattage amps.

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

ooooh i just thought why do I need 2 x 10"?
    a 1x12" closed back cab would be plenty louder.

what about an epi valve jr cab? it has a 12" eminence lady luck
    speaker (whatever that is)
    these are ubiquitous on CL
    and cheap

3. surfoverb

i dont know!

It sounds like a tweed deluxe to me
    but then when the vape is engaged (number 1 make it so)
    it sounds like a marshal :?:
    (the vape just bypasses all pots and uses all power
    its kind of useless actually)

I think, but hope not Fender just stuck a Blues Jr into a weird cab
    and called it a day. But! It sounds really good! I never heard a *Blues Jr sound really anything, and rarely good.

*this amp has many fans, and others can make them sound great-just not me

4. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

The speakers in the Vaporizer are like the speaker in the brown Excelsior and the Ramparte. They serve their basic purpose but there are better out there if you want to spend the money. I always thought the Vape would sound better (and louder) with a pair of Eminence 1058s but "Voxy" tone doesn't come to mind.

If you need more volume from an amp at a gig, you can mic it. I once played a concert using a tweed Bronco--basically a Frontman 15. Of course I had to aim the speaker right at my head. Not something I'd want to do on a regular basis, though.

Forty five years ago I would have used my Twin Reverb.

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I don't think a 1x12 would be louder than a 2x10 with similar efficient speakers.

6. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

The stock speakers in the Vaporizer are pretty good- They are the least of it's problems!
    The reverb pan mount and unforgivably cheap RCA cable connecting the reverb pan to the chassis were the emergency needs my Vaporizer had.

The other thing I had to deal with was the way the power tube retainer was pulling the el84 tubes to one side or the other, bending the pins and stressing things.. So I just removed that mess.

It's a hybrid- uses op amp for reverb send and return, and maybe for the first preamp stages, I'd have to check, it does use tubes where it counts though, driver and output.

7. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would think a SM57 could make it louder :)

8. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I actually would prefer less sensitive speakers in my Vaporizer because the low end really improves when the volume control is up to 12-2 o'clock, but then it's a tad too loud for most of my applications. I think the JJs I put in the power section might have given it a bit of a loudness boost, I'm not sure

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 with TPrior on the correct amp for the venue and style. +1 withMrbob135 on a good mic.

As for speakers for the Vaporizer? Eminence....Legend ALK 102 or Legend 1058. EV Force 10's if you can find them.

10. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Cheap amp cheap results. Sure better speakers will help, but that's only part of the problem. It could be your expectations were greater than the amp could offer.

On the other hand, I can gig with a 12 watt amp as do many other players. For example, Princeton Reverbs are 12 watts and only one 10" speaker but I would bet there are 100's of guys on here that gig with one.

Maybe part of the problem is you're trying to play too loud or you need to find a drummer that can play at lower volume.

11. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I have a 2x10 cabinet with eminence 10516's. 75 watt speakers, sensitivity is 100. When I plug my PR into them it makes it seem a whole lot louder.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the point I was trying to make about speaker sensitivity, and lowbassnotes' experience is why I suggested that the only accurate comparison of an any two amplifiers' comparable output volumes can be done by testing the amps with the same speakers on the different amps.
    One can double the output of an amp by increasing the sensitivy of a speaker by 6 db. To do that with output power one would have to increase the power in watts by tenfold. That is, to achieve twice the output volume of an 18 watt amp through the same speakers one would need 180 watts of power.
    So, back to the 18 watt versus 50 watt thing.....there is not anywhere near a doubling of volume there through the same speaker. So, even a small advantage...3 db... in speaker sensitivity in that 18 watt amp can yield volume that might 'bruise' (;^) a 50 watt amp.
    And...one might want to have more sophisticated test equipment than most ears will provide....a scope to ascertain maximum output before distortion and a decibel meter. Then, you get some accurate information.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All depends on what you need. I don't use an amp at my house. Can't imagine why I would. Amps are for gigging. A 12 watt amp that's quieter than a Tweed deluxe? That's not an amp, that's a toy.

A 1 or 2 watt amp? Just get a headphone amp or a pod or something. And yeah, a Champ is a paperweight that looks like an amp.

See? All a matter of perspective. :)

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Would you mind explaining a bit more, in lay person's terms? I have replaced the stock (tired) Oxford speaker in my SFDR and my early '60s Gibson Lancer (something Alnico-ish? but very light weight) in each case with an Eminence Cannabis Rex. I did it because the speaker sounds great to me. Good detail without icepick on the highs, non-farty lows. Nice smooth midrange.

Anyway, I swear each amp is now seriously loud. The SDFR is at least as loud as a healthy SF Vibrolux Reverb (complete with 2x10s). The Lancer I swear is now as loud or louder than the SFDR was before the speaker swap. And the Lancer is supposedly 12-15 watts (a very close cousin to a 5(d)1 maybe?).

Maybe my ears are tricking me. But it seems like each amp is in fact 50%-100% louder than before?

Is it a more "powerful" speaker can get volume out of the circuit that is always present but a less "powerful" speaker can't reproduce without distorting?

Sorry. I assume this is a really dumb question. But it would help me to understand better. If only to believe my ears.

15. surfoverb

part of the problem is the size of the amp vs what its putting out.
    a tweed deluxe is pretty much all speaker,
    this thing the speakers are buried and surrounded

oh and after looking at the manual the stock speakers are 16ohms
    each but the out for a cab is 8ohms

so does that mean I need either 1 8ohm or 2 4ohm or 2 16 ohms?
    I always forget if the ohms double or half\
    stupid maths

16. surfoverb

I didnt pay anything for this amp so cheap isnt applicable.
    and there is no problem, id just like it to be a bit louder.
    the drummer isnt the problem Im embarrassed to say
    its the keyboardist :oops:

this amp sounds better than my hand wired tweed deluxe
    and twin reverb

17. surfoverb

i just keep it cranked and dial the volume on the guitar down.

18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I played that amp at a gig once ... other guitar player had it. It was not as loud or clear as my SF Princeton Reverb. I set it on the cleanest tone I could find and it had so much breakup ... sounded like tube distortion, maybe a little speaker mush, too. You can get it louder with more efficient speakers, but Voxy? I don't know. I don't like the result of using speakers to supe up volume, it's almost always at the expense of good tone. There are some loud Eminence speakers out there, but they won't tame the tube crunch, which on that amp sounds more Pignose than Vox, IMO. Might be OK for recording. I'd get an AC15 and leave the Vaporizer at the studio.

19. surfoverb

yea Im no fan of the vapes reverb because as you turn the volume up the reverb volume stays the same. whomever thought that was a good idea...I dunno...even if the verb were tube driven it would still have the same problem

but! its not much an issue as you wouldnt want dripping reverb when the amp is cranked as I always have it. I used to use delay with my 5e3, but this sounds better actually.

im pretty sure its not a hybrid amp save for the verb and the rectifier is not tube... its got 2 preamps and 2 power tubes...what else is there? the vape just bypasses the pots

20. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

If you put 2 10" speakers in it with sensitivity around 100 or a little above my guess is you'll experience some profound volume increase. Myself I'd get 2 efficient 16 ohm 10"ers and of course you want to wire them at 8 ohms since that's what your amp wants to see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.