I'm sold on NYXL Strings....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bluesholyman, Sep 16, 2018.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I recently switch to D'addario EXL110 for my Washburn HB35 because I remember liking them on a Pat Martino signature I had sometime ago and my preferred choice for some time, GHS Nickel Rockers, aren't that common at brick/mortar stores.

The EXL110s are decent, there wasn't anything I liked about them, but I missed the higher output of the Nickel Rockers - to be honest, they were too much at times, and could drive the pickups to unfavorable sounds.

I pony up for a set of NYXLs, which I initially dismissed as a gimmick, and my initial impression is they provide for slightly more output than the EXL110's, but not as much as the Nickel Rockers, and they are slightly brighter than the D'Addarios with a hair more bite.

They sound really good on this guitar - I had been looking to brighten it up while retaining its overwound oomph, and these strings have done that is a very subtle and pleasant way. I was seriously considering putting 57 Classics or MHS (if I could find them) in here, but I think I might not do that now - it sounds really good with these strings.

We'll see how longevity is, but sound wise, I really like what they do - definitely a perceived difference, in a very positive way vs the EXL100s

Would love to hear others thoughts on these strings who have tried them....

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like em’ too.
    I don’t always buy them, but I get almost twice as many gigs out of them.
    I find them slightly less bright sounding than my usual XL series.
    Great stuff!

3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

They're my string of choice nowadays. I have some standard D'addario strings to work through yet before I can completely switch over.

4. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

My thing is longevity. I hate changing strings. Please report back. If they last longer, I’m sold.

5. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

They do to my ears. I received a test set b4 they were released. Took them off after a very long while.

6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I didn't like the first set I tried.
    But I installed a set last week on a guitar with a bigsby. They settled into pitch astonishingly fast. And have held well, too.

And I like the way they feel - better than the GHS and standard D'Addarios I have. And they sound great on this guitar. I expect I'll use them again.

bluesholyman likes this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

They seem like really nice strings but they don't really match up with my Tele... they're too bright. I have the regular D'addario non-coated EX-L ones on my Tele right now and they are already a little too bright, the NYXLs are even brighter. Nothing the tone knob can't fix but if I'm never using that ultra bright top end on the tone knob I might as well use strings that aren't as bright.

I just took Elixirs (Optiweb) off, I'm still up in the air about their feel compared to uncoated but they last forever and they seem to have just the right brightness for my guitar. I had 3+ months on them and the tone was mostly OK I had just started to shred the coating. The feel on the Optiweb is a lot closer to uncoated than the Nanoweb & other types they have though.

8. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

I started using NYXL strings shortly after they came out. I have them on all my guitars. I’m not a pro player out doing gigs but I do play every day and seriously, since I’ve been using these I do like 2 string changes per year.

9. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

The NYXL strings are nice, I have them on a couple of guitars (Strats) right now. I still prefer the Pyramid Nickel Classics I've been using the past few years.

I used GHS strings for many years and was blown away at how much better the Pyramids are. I never thought strings could make that big of difference.

10. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I use NYXL and there pure nickel sets mainly.

Love the fact that the NYXLs are pre stretched, and seem to last a good while before going dead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.