I'm Shy of Joyo Effects

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by PCollen, Jan 19, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a Joyo compressor based on great reviews. No issues.

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My Joyos sound great and seem robust enough. There's a failure rate with everything and it's likely to be higher on cheaper goods as QC is one step that's skimped. You ARE the QC...

My favourites at the moment are the Donner mini pedals, mind. They appear to be released under several different names at a variety of price points. You need to run them off a power supply, but I'm really enjoying how easy it is to take three of those to a practice. Yesterday, I was running through my Korg Pitchblack, Donner Dark Mouse and Donner Yellow Fall. All I needed for the situation and quiet enough daisy-chained.

While I own better pedals, the cheapo stomp boxes are fine and get just as much use. They sound sooooo much better than cheap pedals used to. And if one dies that I can't repair, I'll pillage parts for a DIY project and buy another.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have that pedal.
    It's alrite

Oops my bad, I have this one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, the reviews I have seen have all been very positive on it.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, i'll have to try one. Seeing as it's small and costs around $30 bucks it's too tempting to resist.

6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for all the replies. I may buy the new R-02 Taichi..still on the fence. But it seems the rule will be: Buy new not used, and from a reputable seller like Amazon (not AliExpress or other Chinese source with 30 day+ delivery). Pay by credit card, and don't loose the receipt.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So , do you mean leave the 9v battery connector dangling outside the box ? I can't visualize what you are suggesting.

8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Just get some of these. Easy schmeezy.
    [​IMG]

DADGAD, PCollen and SecretSquirrel like this.
  9. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

They are inexpensive and mass produced.
    Like was said buy with some protection and save the receipt.
    That said I've owned the Tremelo 4-5 years, an AC Tone for a little less longer, and just bought an American Sound. No problems whatsoever. They seem pretty durable but then again they mostly stay in my home studio. Can't fault how they sound, esp for the price.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

PCollen likes this.
  11. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I have several joyo pedals, amongst a bunch of other mini import pedals like donner, rowin, and kokko, the brand I like best.
    All the joyos sound and work great except the sweet baby went belly up on me after very little use. S’ok, I didn’t like the thing anyway.

12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I own the vintage overdrive, sweet baby, US Dream, voodoo octave fuzz, and the ultimate drive. No failures of any kind. Solid pedals, though I didn’t care for the octave fuzz.

13. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

A few years ago, I had two of the Sweet Baby pedals show up DOA from different Amazon sellers before I gave up on that one. I've got three other Joyo pedals, the tube screamer clone and the OCD clone are both good, the octave fuzz works fine but had a mistake in pcb that made it sound anemic (at least they did at that time, maybe they've corrected it by now). So my experience was in line with someone else who said they were 50/50.

I've since started building my own pedals so I have no use for them now, but if I wasn't making my own they would probably still be on my radar as a good value.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've bought somewhere around 50 cheap to mid-priced Chinese pedals over the past 5 years. I had one DOA, a Behringer Chromatic Tuner, replaced quickly by Sweetwater. And, one pedal that failed quickly, twice, the Mosky Golden Horse (replaced, then refunded). Others have worked fine although not all of them have been what I liked in terms of effects and tones.

I have the Joyo Tai Chi (old one, not the new one) mentioned in the video. It was one of the first of these pedals I bought. While it has worked fine, it really doesn't do a tone I like.

15. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I’ve bought one - a Sweet Baby Overdrive, clone of a Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD. That was almost five years ago (my first drive pedal ever!). I keep saying that when it dies, I’ll buy the real thing from Mad Professor. I’ve gigged with it, jammed with it, moved it many times from one board to the other and it’s still quite flawless.

But, I have heard that many people have had problems with their Joyo pedals. I’ve been lucky.

To be honest, I fine them more reliable than EHX pedals (I have two and the switch on one of them is acting up, even though I don’t use it much).

16. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a Joyo analog chorus, the Dyna Compressor, Tremolo, Crunch Distortion, Vintage Overdrive and I had the Analog Delay and US Dream distortion. I’ve used Joyo pedals for years, since the came on the market. I have had no failures yet, but in that same timeframe I have had a line 6 pedal fail completely dead and a Marshal pedal go intermittent. So take that as you will.

Some of them are truly fantastic. The tremolo is on my board now and is never coming off. It replaced a Danolectro univibe type pedal on my board years ago that had an annoying volume drop issue. The Joyo is designed well with a slight volume boost so you don’t perceive a drop with the effect on.

The compressor is equally good - I have no tolerance for issues when it comes to compression and was willing to pay a lot more, but the Joyo was the best I tried, beating out the MXR, Wampler, Visual Sound and Boss offerings. The vintage overdrive is one of my favorite tube screamer clones along side the Visual Sound 808 and the Bad Monkey. The Crunch Distortion is an excellent “Marshall in a box” distortion pedal - so is the US Dream, but I didn’t need both ;). The analog delay was a pretty good vanilla delay with the classic analog degrading repeats - very warm - I just switched to programable digitally modelled delays with tap tempo for convenience. Finally, the chorus is one of the warmest I’ve tried - similar to a boss ce-2 (it may be a clone of that - don’t remember and don’t care ;) ). The only one I tried that I liked better was the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus - that one is awesome. But I rarely need a chorus and the Joyo is more than sufficient for me.

They are not all on my board all of the time - in fact just the tremolo is right now, along side pedals by Boss, EHX, Dunlop and Zoom, etc. But I do use the others when the need arises and intend to keep them. I have no doubt they will last for years and years to come.

17. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The foot switch on my Sweet Baby doesn't click and of course doesn't work. It died just sitting on my pedal board, having not used it in weeks. I guess I'd understand it failing while in use, but how does the mechanical part of a switch fail just sitting idle?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.