I'm Shy of Joyo Effects

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by PCollen, Jan 19, 2020.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd like to buy a couple Joyo effects, but I've read numerous reports of switch failures, and some arriving DOA. Big music stores don't carry them (MF, GC, Sweetwater, etc) and there must be a reason. Hassle with customer returns ? Take a look at this video:

Furthermore, I prefer effects that accomodate a 9Vdc battery along with the external 9Vdc power supply input. If the external power supply fails, at least I'm confident I can get though a song, and probably the entire gig, with the effect running on battery power.

2. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I own a dozen Joyo pedals. They all take 9V batteries and accept the standard Boss and One Spot power adapters. In the past five years, I’ve had no failures with my Joyo pedals. I used two of them at my gig today.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Joyo American Sound. Works great. No problems.

If you need a backup battery you can wire a 9volt battery connector to the common pedal power plug and then just plug the 9volt in externally. Great option if you have pedals 'bolted down'.

4. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Joyo is good. They cost so little, you really don't need to worry about it. You may have to upgrade once you're recording in the studio. But don't worry, I hear record companies usually provide you with all the equipment you need for the album.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Hiker and Switchy like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm 50/50 on Joyos.

My tremolo pedal is totally satisfactory, but the octave fuzz came DOA.

Nickfl likes this.
  7. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

8. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

My American Sound is remarkably good. I can't believe how good, really. No problems with it in 3 years of moderate use. It's my only Joyo pedal, but I wouldn't hesitate too buy more, just don't really need anything…

joealso and bumnote like this.
  9. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Yes, I have one of those too. A real competent pedal.

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I bought a British Sound because I like running my P-bass through Marshall Plexi-ish sounds. I wanted to see if it could do a better job of that than the Marshall model in the Zoom B2 I normally use.

Verdict: the Joyo sounds good and has a LOT of flexibility in EQing and range of dirt (from clean to nuts)...but its output level is suited to driving the front end of amps and mixer channels. Not enough output level to fully drive my power amp. It seems like a screaming good deal and a really cool unit, but it doesn’t suit my admittedly unusual signal path. I plan to return it for that reason but have to admit it seems super cool for its intended purpose.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've bought a lot of Chinese pedals from Joyo, Caline, Mosky, Rowin,Tomsline, Eno, and a few others, and of the dozens and dozens I've bought I've only had problems with one or two and had no problem returning them for a refund. But, of all of them Joyo and Caline are the hghest quality IMO and I've never had any problem from any of them. I'm a real Klon clone fanatic, and the Caline Pegasus and Joyo Tauren are two of the best of all the ones I've tried, much better than the highly rated EHX Soul Food, which I hated.

ponce likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm interested in the rowin dumbler.:D
    Dumble tonez for under $30 bucks. The reviews are great but I haven't heard a decent tone out of one yet on youtube etc.

13. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

I have a Joyo Vintage Overdrive, noise gate, and a rechargeable power supply. The power supply takes care of eight stomp boxes, a tuner, AND my Roland GR-30, and you can pull the plug on it and it'll still work for a couple of hours. For $69.95, can't beat it.

dswo likes this.
  14. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I love Joyo pedals, cheap and reliable never have i had an issue

cyclopean likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have one. It's essentially a Zen Drive clone and not an amp sim pedal.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

American Sound, AC Tone, Ultimate Drive, analogue delay and noise gate, all bought in 2012. Ultimate Drive failed in the first year, Amazon replaced it no problems since.

17. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i have a vintage overdrive, the tubescreamer clone. it sounds like a tubescreamer and cost me 20 bucks second hand - only thing i did was swap out those stupid looking yellow knobs. there are quite a few makers out there now who can deliver great tones at low prices; check out the tc electronics/behringer stuff too.

18. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Only have the pedal tuner, but no issues in must be close to 10 years

19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The nice thing about dirt-cheap mini stomps is that if you find you don't care for it or if it only lasts 24 months is their inexpensive nature and not being out $130. I do not own any Joyo, but I have a pair of Donner stomps that are rock solid for $35 ea., no battery provision but I carry a spare (also dirt cheap & Donner) power supply in my utility stage case.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've had one with a problem like that. The switch was not working (tested with a meter), but also its pc board was soldered wonky and kind of sideways. Thomann sent me a new one and let me keep the broken one, which I've been trying to fix for years. The problem is always with the contacts between the switch and main board, even though I put a new switch in. The wires that connect the two boards are problematic, to say the least, and so are the tiny soldering eyelets.

I've never had a problem with the little Joyo Ironman series though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.