I'm seeing fewer compressors on pedal boards lately.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Feb 28, 2019.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Anyone ever try the Ibanez CP-830? Man, I love that thing. Comp and (unintentional) OD in one.

Since this has kinda digressed into an "I love comps" thread.... I also have the Daimond Comp Jr. (replaced my dead CS-3) and a new Cali76. Love that one too, for completely different reasons.

2. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Own an old late 80's Boss CS-3 with the DBX chip, one old Guyatone Driving compressor, one old middle 70's MXR Dyna.....
    Have used compressors as long as I can remember.....

3. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

So... I have been playing with the VFE White Horse. Still learning how to set it, and still finding good sounds.

Decided to plug in my Biyang CO-10 and compare. No surprise, the White Horse sounds better and has more control.

There was a different surprise however - I added an EHX Synth 9 in front of both. The White Horse didn't add much, preferred it off. But the Biyang made the Synth 9 sound "punchier" and smoothed out the tracking some.

I still don't think I really need a compressor, and now having one that cost more than $50 hasn't changed that.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, kinda in the same boat. I played out with my DOD 280 back on the board last week. Even though I could hear it working, I think it's coming back off the board, again. Still on the fence.

DSC03619.JPG

5. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Diamond compressor after overdrives. I bought it for acoustic and use for electric. Understand that it is good for 4 string bass.

Still maintains pick dynamics and is subtle and underrated.

YMMV

6. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

You need an Uncompressor pedal. Try an Orange Expander.

:p

7. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Only ever needed it when playing country chicken picking style, to get clean solos to sound fuller and give the accents some pop. It's also useful for funk, to keep all the syncopations and accents in focus.

Mostly, I use compression in the studio, don't really need it for the music I do in live settings.

8. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I have been using my RAF Mirage (set on 9 and 12) lately in front of low gain dirt pedals - Butah and Bluenote - and have been enjoying it more than ever before.

In the past, I have usually liked pedal compressors for a few days at a time and then got sick of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.